BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Is Mexico winning the drug war?
wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2012 at 08:30 AM
Is Mexico winning the drug war?

Here is CNN's take on the drug war in Mexico.

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/24/zakaria-i...
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2012 at 04:43 PM

I think the arms manufacturers and the investors in our private prison system are the ones winning the drug war.

There most certainly is but one side to every story: the TRUTH. Variations of it are nothing but lies.
Angelos
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2012 at 07:03 AM

For the Mexican people, I hope they win but I often wonder if it is possible.

I just hate the fact that there will always be a "war on drugs" in some poor country where innocent people are at risk and its people feel they have no other way to make a living.

I know many think legalizing in the US is the answer, but even in my former home state of California, we couldn't get marijuana decriminalized when the vote was taken by the people. Then how in the heck would one regulate the harshest and most dangerous drugs if they were legal.

The Angelos - Ken, Charlene, Cody & Jake
www.svcrossroads.com
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2012 at 07:08 AM

Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 1970 is what Nixon thought would be the cure in ending drugs in the US. That was 42 years ago and the issue keeps getting larger.

I doubt Mexico will win it's war.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2012 at 07:33 AM

It was Mexico's desire to benefit from the drug profits that started this mess when De La Madrid made the deal......"we'll leave the drug buisness alone if they will leave their money in Mexico." [he inherited an empty treasury and needed a fiscal boost]
Unfortunatly for Mexico, they left the cartels alone for too long. It was like ignoring an aggressive cancer....pretty soon, it was too late to do anything about it.
At this point, capitulation would be a honorable goal....but that may be out of reach as well.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 4-30-2012 at 07:39 AM

The real war is about criminals, corrupt and scared cops and criminal justice.

2nd Amendment. The right to sell 1,000 semi automatic weapons what can be converted to fully automatic in any Mexican taller de torno. To a single person

The right to sell 240,000 7.62mm and 5.56 mm ammunition to a single person.

The right for a pot smoker to always choose the cheapest marijuana, just like he'll drive 32 blocks to save a nickel a gallon for gasoline. If pot were legalized and sold for an impossible 20 dollars an ounce the cartels will sell it for 10.

I am a cynic. A disbeliever. That American public would have the interest ot the guts to fix this problem.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-30-2012 at 07:45 AM

Sure. If you call aiding and abetting the drug cartels winning?;D
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2012 at 07:46 AM

Last time I checked you could still purchase whatever drug you wanted on the black market. Pretty sure that's been the case since the many war on drugs began. What a waste of money and human lives this war on drugs has been.

I'm confident we'll kick this insanity eventually, like we've done in the past with other failed policies. See: suffrage movement, civil rights, gays in military, gay marriage (in the process).....

Give it another 20-30 years and we'll see some sort of legalization and decriminalization.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2012 at 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ateo
What a waste of money and human lives this war on drugs has been.

That would be the case if the war had made bad people out of good. I question if that's what happened.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 4-30-2012 at 11:41 AM

and THEN...............................

DRUGS ARE NOW SUBSIDIZED! Every week a bale of white widow, a rock the size of a softball and an ARM & HAMMER size box of crystal is left on your doorstep along with a $100 check from the US government AND free needles and rolling papers!

This will SO discourage the sicarios that they will give up extortion, kidnapping and contract killing.

All bummed-out, they will resort to pin striping zebra/burros, get a camera and head for the beach.

Joseilito, so was foremerly so adept at removing heads with his razor sharp machete will now open cocos frios with the swipe of the blade.

Lalo, a dead shot with a Barrett .50 cal. now tosses olives into martinis from an astonishing distance of 3 meters with uncanny accuracy.

And skilled getaway drivers will paint a checkerboard on the side of their car, bolt a light on the roof and start collecting fares.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2012 at 07:40 PM

I think it is hard to say. If history has any relevance, I guess we would have to use Columbia as the benchmark. It took a long time, but eventually the locals got tired of the violence and helped take down Pablo and the other boys.

However, Mexico has several Palblo's that have to be dealt with.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2012 at 08:29 PM

Don't the Mex cartels still get a lot of their cocaine from Colombia?

[Edited on 5-1-2012 by DENNIS]
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2012 at 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Don't the Mex cartels still get a lot of their cocaine from Colombia?

[Edited on 5-1-2012 by DENNIS]

I think thems boys probably does get it from Columbia:no:

[Edited on 5-1-2012 by CortezBlue]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.