Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: VIDEOS: San Telmo to Parque Nacional de San Pedro Martir
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

Mood: Hot & humid --- not hot & dry.

[*] posted on 4-30-2012 at 08:38 PM
VIDEOS: San Telmo to Parque Nacional de San Pedro Martir

Hi-res videos & photos available upon request.

At the campground at about 8,000 feet, I was the only one there except for a school group over a small knoll that I decided to camp near, I had to "abandon tent" at 1:30 am due to high winds turning the tent over, sleet & freezing rain & temperatures below freezing. The car was cramped but was warm, DRY, and elevated for the rest of a mostly sleepless night as the wind howled non-stop. Watch videos.

I saw but 3 cars on the 60-mile drive up to the park. Cost, you ask? A whopping US$4.

What a spectacular part of Baja that few people seem to visit. This was my second trip and it's magnificent for its beauty, its solitude, its critters and its pristine condition. It rivals many California parks, but with almost no other bodies to bump into. And the San Telmo Valley is a beautiful farming valley and the high-altitude plateau roads & meadows just before the Meling Ranch are gorgeous.

VIDEO San Telmo to Parque Nacional San Pedro Martir

VIDEO: Parque Nacional San Pedro Martir alpine meadow at 8,000 feet

VIDEO: Parque Nacional San Pedro Martir 1:30 AM freezing ice storm / abandon tent

VIDEO: Parque Nacional San Pedro Martir to San Telmo & Highway 1

TRIP MAP (clockwise)

Be sure to grab a few delicious tacos at Tacos Tata on Hwy 1 just north of the turnoff. And some fresh fruits & veggies next door.

[Edited on 2012-6-7 by bryanmckenzie]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.”
-Mark Twain
Samuel Langhorne Clemens (November 30, 1835 – April 21, 1910)
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-30-2012 at 09:37 PM

MODERATORS: this should probably be moved to trip reports, moreso than road conditions.

-Mark Twain
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-30-2012 at 11:13 PM

You can go to EDIT and copy all your post, and then go to the other forum and repost there. Come back and delete it here, if you want.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2012 at 04:04 PM

I have to say that these videos are some of the most interesting I've seen on nomads.

They're about one man's struggles with the unexpected coldness of the park. A vacation that didn't turn out to be as expected. First of all, it rings so true because things never go as planned and that's one of the attractions for many nomads.

But what makes it special is the honesty of the presentation. You witness everything first hand. Nothing hides from the camera. It discloses everything.

It reminds me of cinema verite, a technique where nothing is staged. The camera just follows individuals going about their lives. Every scratch and cough is documented.

Specifically, the scenes of the haggard man staring into the camera with bloodshot eyes complaining of the unexpected drop in temperature at 9:30Pm is priceless. Only to be outdone by the next scene of the man trying to make himself comfortable as he prepares to sleep in the front seat of his car after the temps had dropped below freezing and it had started to rain.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-1-2012 at 04:30 PM

I met 'Bryan' and all I can say it is a shame that this is his last trip to Baja (for awhile)... That he takes his VW happily anywhere in Baja he wants says a lot.

I hope he shares with us the rest of his trip across the USA to Florida on the Non-Baja Trip Reports Forum here on Nomad!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2012 at 04:31 PM

Great vid! Thanks for that, hope the kids were OK.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-1-2012 at 04:45 PM

Nice videos! When was this trip? We were in the Sierra Juarez three weeks ago when similar conditions hit---except we were all sleeping out under the stars, heh, at least for awhile. Freezing-ish drizzle started in about 1am, finally chased me into the truck around 5am when the sleeping bag and mattress were beyond soaked. Still cold in the truck, got up around 5:30 and made a big fire...aaahhhh.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-1-2012 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
See the date on the photos: April 26... 5 days ago.

:light: :rolleyes:
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-1-2012 at 06:40 PM

:cool:

bbbob
Junior Nomad

Mood: wish I was there

[*] posted on 5-1-2012 at 08:36 PM

wow you get to go to all the neat places.. I just get to go to happy camp,ca and moke hill, ca where parts fall off and I find them on the next trip. Thanks for the pic,s and vids..Bbbob:yes:
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 07:09 PM

I shall endeavor to do this shortly, now that I have arrived safely. many pics & videos to share. America, too, has some spectacular scenery. And people.

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I met 'Bryan' and all I can say it is a shame that this is his last trip to Baja (for awhile)... That he takes his VW happily anywhere in Baja he wants says a lot.

I hope he shares with us the rest of his trip across the USA to Florida on the Non-Baja Trip Reports Forum here on Nomad!

-Mark Twain
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 07:14 PM

Thanks, Joe. That is exactly what I wanted to do. Raw, unedited. Not always pretty or planned. I really appreciate your kind words and comments. I actually laughed out loud at how silly it must look to others. To me, I simply turned on the camera and told it like it is. It was a blast (of cold wind & hail). I wish I had had a trip partner.

But that is Baja. Adventure. Misadventure. But not really all that bad. It IS a part of the travel experience. And in hind sight, as I share these pictures and videos with friends, and they are aghast in my 'wrecklessness' I assure them it is hardly as frought with danger as others do in far-away foreign lands.

Thank you again for your kind words.

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
I have to say that these videos are some of the most interesting I've seen on nomads.

They're about one man's struggles with the unexpected coldness of the park. A vacation that didn't turn out to be as expected. First of all, it rings so true because things never go as planned and that's one of the attractions for many nomads.

But what makes it special is the honesty of the presentation. You witness everything first hand. Nothing hides from the camera. It discloses everything.

It reminds me of cinema verite, a technique where nothing is staged. The camera just follows individuals going about their lives. Every scratch and cough is documented.

Specifically, the scenes of the haggard man staring into the camera with bloodshot eyes complaining of the unexpected drop in temperature at 9:30Pm is priceless. Only to be outdone by the next scene of the man trying to make himself comfortable as he prepares to sleep in the front seat of his car after the temps had dropped below freezing and it had started to rain.

-Mark Twain
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 07:19 PM

Hmmmm. Same storm system? The night of April 25-26.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Nice videos! When was this trip? We were in the Sierra Juarez three weeks ago when similar conditions hit---except we were all sleeping out under the stars, heh, at least for awhile. Freezing-ish drizzle started in about 1am, finally chased me into the truck around 5am when the sleeping bag and mattress were beyond soaked. Still cold in the truck, got up around 5:30 and made a big fire...aaahhhh.

-Mark Twain
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2012 at 07:22 PM

You're welcome Bbbob. Ya gots ta picks your places. Then makes it happen. I prefer the road less traveled. It's going to be a bit more difficult to do that from Florida. Once I know how mom's medical issues are going to play out, maybe I makes it back to Baja once again. Maybe I just flies in and hooks up with some SoCal Baja Nomads for a short journey.

Quote:
Originally posted by bbbob
wow you get to go to all the neat places.. I just get to go to happy camp,ca and moke hill, ca where parts fall off and I find them on the next trip. Thanks for the pic,s and vids..Bbbob:yes:

-Mark Twain

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.