Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: NORRA Race Reports
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2012 at 01:25 PM
NORRA Race Reports

Race Car 118:

My race report, it hasn't been read by my teacher so there's probably some eroors.

Day 1
Made a couple wrong turns on Laguna Salada by not looking at the gps, but looking at old course markers. CW gassed me at the end off stage 1 so we could get a good fuel mileage calculation, which was about 10mpg. Transit 1 to the short trouble free 44 mile stage 2, then on the to the SF Checker Cheeze pit. Got 10 gallons of high test from Paco and crew along with some of the best Taco's I've ever eaten courtesy of Jay Willmore. Transit to stage 3 for 56 miles of fun with no issues. I got out and had nephew John drive it into BOLA on the final transit.

Monday night we did some prep then hung out on the beach with the other race patrons of the Villa Bahia which included Bob and Wayne, Dave Sykes, PCI Scott, Mark Post and Crew. Scott grilled up some killer tuna and carne asada, Post broke out some Don Julio 42 tequila. Monday night at the Villa Bahia was the essence of NORRA, competitors hanging out, eating, drinking and telling lies about their days

Day 2
John Furrier drove the first stage out of BOLA fast and flawlessly. I was concerned he wasn't going to be able to harness his enthusiasm, but my trust in his driving skills and talks of saving the car must have paid off. Stage 2 was a concern because of our lack of support, so I tried to drive like I had everything to loose. The stage started bad because as I left I pulled back on the steering wheel to make sure the quick release was locked, and the steering shaft moved back about an inch. Chad Nichols said, "HEY, that wasn't like that before and thought we should pull the hood and check the steering box. We check the 35 year old AMS steering box and notice a bunch more movement in the box than normal, but could do anything about it. We had a spare box that we zip-tied into the car in case of a total failure. The steering box issue resulted in a 14 minute penalty.

We put a spare rack on the car this year and had Mag 7 emergency support, but lots of things can happen in a 175 miles. The stage was going fine, even with the sloppy steering box. I stopped at Mag 7 for 5 gallons of gas(Post had 20 there and wasn't going need it all, so they gave us 5). I hauled down the new HWY after San Juanico and missed the turn to get on the dirt by a half mile, get turned around and on course trying to make up for my screw up with a little extra Parnelli in my pants, then get a rear flat as I'm trying to make up time. I changed the tire in 11 minutes total, but add to the 14 minute penalty and how I slowed down so try not to get another flat, I figure we lost at least 30 minutes on the stage. The biggest decision we made during prep this year was whether to run a spare or not, and what tire to run as a spare. The upside is we had it, the downside is we used it.

We get to Loreto and are evaluating the steering issue as an old timer in OP Shorts is asking me questions about the car. I'm trying to be nice, but I'm not in great spirits. The guy notices me trying to blow him, then sticks out his hand and says, I'm Lynn Chonowth, I built this car".
I eat a little crow and start being more amicable to Mr C.
Jeff: Hey Lynn, do you know anything about AMS steering boxes?
Lynn: Sure, its a rip off of my design, they're horrible.
Jeff: ....well, that's what we're working with can you take a look at it?
Lynn checks it out and says its worn out. I show him our spare, which is one of his original steering boxes that's in better shape.
Jeff: Would you change it?
Lynn: Oh, I dont do that stuff anymore.
Jeff: No Lynn, I dont want you to change it, I want to know what you would recommend.
Lynn: I'd call Jeff Howe and get power steering.

Another great NORRA moment, the guy that designed the failing vintage steering box on my car just happened to be standing in Loreto when I needed him.

We change the box and prep for Day 3, then eat a nice birthday dinner at the Mission for Chad.

Day 3
Attrition was taking its toll and it looked like it was a 3 car battle for our class and sat in with what appeared to be a 1 hour cushion in front of third place. The lead car was going to be hard to catch because of its modern suspension, so our strategy was to use the cushion we had over third to save the car and hope the first place car gets abducted by aliens.

John Starts again and drove the 125 miles out of Loreto without issue. Gets nerfed by Westem, then see's Mark Stahl parked in a cactus. John thought it Mark that nerfed him, which we all thought was funny and couldn't wait to give him some crap about it, but the video doesn't lie and Mark was off the hook.

I drove stage 2 into La Paz which was rough and technical with no support access. The steering seemed better, but it still not great. The canyon roads on the Sea of Cortez were switch-backs and steep hills. I again drove conservatively knowing a flat or any mechanical downtime would cost more time than I could make up in our well used race car. I made it through the 161 mile race and transit stage into La Paz without any issues.

In La Paz we noticed one of the cylinder shrouds is missing, so we needed to find or fabricate a new one. Unfortunately May 1st is Labor Day in Mexico and no parts stores were open, so we fabricated a new shroud from a wash bucket. Dinner on the Malecon and some hotel parking lot stories with Todd Z and the Bronco crew finished our day in La Paz.

Day 4
I was relieved to start the final day drive to San Jose Del Cabo in a relatively sound race car. We hadn't made up time on the 1st place car, and had a better previous stage time than the third place car, so all we needed to do was get to through the stage trouble free for a respectable finish. I knew the stage was going to be interesting because about a mile into the run there were a couple locals waving me to a wrong turn! I didn't take the bate, but I knew the savvy locals were looking for some extra excitement. The final stage was the most fun, plenty of everything Baja has to offer, wide open driving, tight mountain turns, sand and small towns with locals waving you on. The run was mostly trouble free with the exception of being stuck behind a couple cars blocking the course as we got on the highway at Todos Santos. As I was winding out the tired Type 1 in the sand wash, I couldnt help to wonder when the car was going to give up. The Chenowth has run the peninsula 6 times in basically the same configuration, including the same transmission.
I was relieved to finally be on the pavement for the short drive through the streets of San Jose Del Cabo to the finish line after 1100 miles of fun.

The awards banquet at the Cabo Azul were amazing! There must have been 500+ guests, Dave Despain gave out the awards, open bar, plenty of food and an unbelievable fire works show.

As it turns out, NORRA changed the time of the third place car from the first day to give them an hour back in time and penalties. For three days we were racing like we had an hour lead, so in the end my conservative pace put us in a disappointing third place. I've contacted NORRA for an explanation, but have had no response.

Overall I think we had a very sound effort and we learned a few more things this year that will make us more competitive next year.

From the racers perceptive, I think NORRA improved over last year and if it continues to improve the event should continue to grow.

I'd like to thank Rory for his pit book and strategy help, it made a huge difference and kept the stress level down during the race. Thanks to John Furrier for Chad Nichols for the prep and chase help. Thanks to all the Cheezers that hauled tires and Kras for getting my gas to the Checker-Cheeze pit.

10th Overall
1st Single seater
First period correct buggy
Finished on the 2 front tires and 40 year old Jackman Wheels we started on.
3 person team(+Cheeze help)
1 chase truck
1 flat tire

Press release to follow when I get back from the beach.

Unrelated funny Malcolm story from the finish line Loreto.

Malcolm: How was your day?
Jeff: Great, a few issues but we made it.
Malcolm: Seen any of the bike guys?
Jeff: They're probably in the back with everybody else, what do you need?
Malcolm: (shows me gears in a shop rag) I need a shorter gear, my bike wont pull in 6th.
Jeff: You shouldn't be riding in 6th!
Malcolm: Haha...see ya later

Minutes later Andy Grider walks up.
Andy:How'd it go?
Jeff: Great, we just need to gas it for tomorrow.
Jeff: Hey, Malcolm just walked up looking for gears saying the Husky wont pull in 6th.
Andy: I know, he should just ride it in 5th.
Jeff: You need to tell him to slow down!
Andy: Oh yea, I'll just tell God how to ride...I don't think so.

We later see him testing the bike on a side street in Loreto, he found gears for the Husky and I'm pretty sure he did the work himself.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2012 at 01:26 PM

Race Car 26 report ON Off-Road.com

http://www.off-road.com/competition/race/2012-norra-mexican-...

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.