Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ford Torque Vectoring Control
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2012 at 07:57 AM
Ford Torque Vectoring Control

Not for Off Road yet but interesting:

Google "Brake Differential Inside Line." Look at the list that comes up: Boxster, 911, 135, McLaren MP4-12C. Well, soon after I hit the go-live button on this blog, one more car will be listed, the 2012 Ford Focus except they're calling it Torque Vectoring Control.

That's right, the 2012 Ford Focus is joining the ranks of other carmakers who've figured out that subtle, single-wheel brake application can mimic the workings of an expensive limited slip differential (though the Boxster Spyder has both an LSD and a brake diff).

The system will automatically apply slight braking force to the inside wheel which will then send more power to the outside wheel during hard cornering. The result is a faster, more stable cornering process without any of that goofy inside-tire wheelspin that makes drivers look dumb. For novice or casual drivers, the system will add confidence and security, especially during difficult driving conditions.

Some of you have already read about, experienced or inferred the inherent problem with a brake diff: When very twisty roads are driven hard, the unit has to work fairly often and that can result in hot, less effective brakes. This is one thing if you've been using the pedal and felt the fade come on. It's another thing altogether when they're hot for no reason and then surprise! Fingers crossed for sturdy brakes.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-8-2012 at 01:32 PM

Thanks TW, cool stuff.... plus I ended up looking at the Porsche Cayman, really get lost .... :lol::lol::lol:

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-8-2012 at 02:54 PM

Electronic version of the 2 emergency brake handles in Baja bugs...

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2012 at 05:45 PM

Funny had the same thought ... :lol::lol:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-8-2012 at 06:03 PM

I am not sure if what TW is talking about isn't more like 'traction control' or 'VSC' and not VW buggy 'turning brakes': "mimic the workings of an expensive limited slip differential".

Beside the limited slip traction control, most vehicles are getting the Bosch VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) system (or equivalent) to improve safety... This does not apply brake force on normal driving on curvey roads... Only if the car goes into a skid is brake force applied to regain control.

On the traction control, brake force is only applied to slow or stop a spin on a low traction tire to transfer power to the tire with better traction. This is typical when you try to move from a stop with one tire on ice, sand, or mud. Now, instead of the one tire spinning and you not moving, traction control transfer more power to the tire on solid ground.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 5-8-2012 at 07:28 PM

GEEESSSSS David give it a rest.:yawn::yawn::yawn:
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 5-8-2012 at 07:35 PM

Traction control devices have been around since they invented the wheel. some good some alot better. intended function the same. I bought a new Peterbuilt truck several years ago it had traction control.::wow::wow:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2012 at 11:13 PM

What's the problem... just adding information... take it or leave it, it's a forum.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-9-2012 at 02:04 AM

You lost traction

edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Not for Off Road yet . . .

And I don't think it will ever be. It adds too many things to break on the trail. Just imagine a new Toyota with the latest VSC and TVC, our friend Neal is crawling in the middle of the Widowmaker, with not just a third member or two exploding but also the Torque Vectoring planetary gears, magnets and solenoids. We never do hard cornering offroad, do we? I think offroad, the one behind the steering wheel is king, not some silicon or whatever they use these days.

. . . Just a few thoughts

[Edited on 5-12-2012 by edm1]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 05:48 PM

Now keep in mind, Neal's Tacoma was neither new, nor 'under' weight... That beast of a pop up camper on it had to been close to the max his little V-6 could pull... Something's gotta give, as they say!

The other Tacomas (2009 and 2010) had zero issues and my 2010 was pure stock and using the 'new tech' A-TRAC system that you really seemed to like... saying it was better than the front and rear ARB lockers you had(as it didn't affect steering).

So, while I am fond of 'old school', I also appreciate new and improved traction systems.

edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Now keep in mind, Neal's Tacoma was neither new, nor 'under' weight... That beast of a pop up camper on it had to been close to the max his little V-6 could pull... Something's gotta give, as they say!

The other Tacomas (2009 and 2010) had zero issues and my 2010 was pure stock and using the 'new tech' A-TRAC system that you really seemed to like... saying it was better than the front and rear ARB lockers you had(as it didn't affect steering).

So, while I am fond of 'old school', I also appreciate new and improved traction systems.

I hear ya David, what I'm trying to say is that adding a TVC on top of your A-Trac for serious offroading would be overkill and result in very expensive repairs if the differentials exploded.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 06:27 PM

None of the new stuff is designed for off-road as we know it, its designed for rain,snow, ice and mud that the average driver may experience. A 4x4 truck is designed for the construction industry not for crawling around in Baja or Death Valley. The buyers such as us have taken these vehicles to the areas and the manufacture uses it like the Baja 1000 for ads. Only the stupid public buys into it. Go back a few years and see Roger Mears and Ivan Stewart in ads. The truth is the trucks they were racing is nowhere close to whats on the show room floor, never was and never will be. The Ford Raptor is nothing more than better shocks, springs and bigger tires and a wider width on a stock F150 for about $10,000-$15,000 more. Look closely at the Baja Tacoma and what do you have? Bigger and better shocks and a 2.5 inch lift but the same size tires as stock and it'll cost maybe $10,000 more. For less than $5,000 Dixon Brothers in Las Vegas can build you a Ford or Chevy that will run circles around the Raptor or the Tacoma. For what Toyota did to the Tacoma you can do for half the price and probably a better ride off road. The manufatures don't have a clue to whats good for off road they want to sell a perception, it's all marketing based. A soccor mom has more input to the next design than you and me.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 06:36 PM

The mini truck is fast becoming a thing of the past. The Ford Ranger and the Dodge Dakota are no longer. The Tacoma and Frontier are now mid size. Why? I think it is the market and price. You can buy a full size for about the same price as a mini or mid size truck. The difference between a chevy and GMC mini 4x4 and the full size in the same line is only a couple thousand dollars. With discounts (up to $8000) you can buy a Tundra for less than a Tacoma.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2012 at 08:49 PM

Thanks for the information TW ... it all helps ... :):)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.