BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Have you used a Badland Winch from Harbor Freight?
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2012 at 09:59 PM
Have you used a Badland Winch from Harbor Freight?

If you have I am curious of what you think about it?

Also, what size you bought and what type of mounting plate

I am going to attach it to my 88 Ford Bronco
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 07:32 AM

Of what I've read on some 4x4 sites is you get what you pay for. Not in reference to Badlands winch but in general. Check out some 4x4 sites they may have some info or type it in google and ad "review" at the end.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 07:42 AM

There noisey and slow, i had one on my cherokee and it worked to get me out of trouble , if you have a 1ton truck with a camper don;t get one
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 09:23 AM

I got the 6000 lb unit with the cradle to fit into the receiver. I don't have it wired up yet, been on the go too much, the cradle says it is for the 6000 lb and 9000 lb winches. BS I don't know about the 9000 lb but I had to drill new holes for the front cable plate to mount it to the winch. I also cut down the tray to make it narrower something you don't need to do but makes it easier to handle unless you make it a permanent mount.

I also have a 5000 lb portable winch I got on Ebay for about $100 and it worked just fine getting me out of my tip over in March near El Coyote Ranch.
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I got the 6000 lb unit with the cradle to fit into the receiver. I don't have it wired up yet, been on the go too much, the cradle says it is for the 6000 lb and 9000 lb winches. BS I don't know about the 9000 lb but I had to drill new holes for the front cable plate to mount it to the winch. I also cut down the tray to make it narrower something you don't need to do but makes it easier to handle unless you make it a permanent mount.

I also have a 5000 lb portable winch I got on Ebay for about $100 and it worked just fine getting me out of my tip over in March near El Coyote Ranch.

I have read that about the mounting plate,, that it is not the correct one.

Thanks for the info
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 10:53 AM

Ive had the HF winch in my 4x4 GMC motorhome and it always worked, albeit slow.

If you're looking for other options, look at the Recon Brute Force series. They are fast and priced almost like the Badlands. If only they can match Harborfreight's 20% off:-) I recently installed the Recon 17.5K# unit under my Class A motorhome but haven't had the chance to use itvyet. It looks high quality. I used Harborfreight's universal winch mount (cheaper than buying raw steel at the supply shop!), and fabricating additional supports that attach to the motorhome frame.

[Edited on 5-14-2012 by edm1]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
If you have I am curious of what you think about it?

Also, what size you bought and what type of mounting plate

I am going to attach it to my 88 Ford Bronco

Get yourself a winch. You never know when you are going to possibly need it. I have used mine to pull others out of trouble. Once, on Heartbreak Ridge in Big Bear Natl. Forest, a friend w/a 10,000# winch on the front of his Rubicon pulled me out of harm after I started bouncing and couldn't climb a tricky section.

I have an 8,000# Winch on the front of my Jeep with a nice winch plate attached to my frame.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-17-2012 at 04:18 PM

Is that the winch the man asked about? If not ?????

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2012 at 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Is that the winch the man asked about? If not ?????

In my case, no. But, I have read about the quality that has gone into this line of winches.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/129_1107_massive_mul...

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2012 at 06:06 PM

["I have an 8,000# Winch on the front of my Jeep with a nice winch plate attached to my frame."]

Will it pull you backwards out of a ditch?
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2012 at 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW

Great question!

It made me look at how I mounted my winch under the front of my motorhome. And yes I think I can spool the the cable backwards and under the vehicle and with the help of one or two snatch blocks, it can pull me out of a ditch . . . . As long as it's not the ditch at the lagoon crossing to Shell Island (i.e. there's something at all to anchor the end of the cable). Anyway, some 36-inch 9.00x16 Michelin XZL military tires should also help if I ever can find a set.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2012 at 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
["I have an 8,000# Winch on the front of my Jeep with a nice winch plate attached to my frame."]

I haven't tried yet. I have pulled a high-centered Jeep out of a precarious position - due to the Jeeper choosing to travel ALONE with inadequate backcountry supplies for himself, wife and their friend.

My 8,000# winch did the job in short order. I read in the 4WD Magazine that you want to purchase a winch that is rated to pull DOUBLE the weight of your vehicle.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2012 at 09:01 PM
Shell Island/Laguna Percebu Winch Pull w/Warn 8000#

David K, HotSchott, and a fool who tried to cross the lagoon during low tide.:rolleyes:

The Jeep Cherokee (right) was saved!:bounce:

[Edited on 5-18-2012 by Ken Cooke]

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2012 at 11:50 AM

Ken you do carry snatch blocks right.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2012 at 11:54 AM

I've only tried to winch myself backwards once with a front mounted winch and I broke the cable twice. Had to call for the snowcat.
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2012 at 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I've only tried to winch myself backwards once with a front mounted winch and I broke the cable twice. Had to call for the snowcat.

Yes I agree there's a great risk of breaking the cable from abrasion against the rear axle and cross member(s) if not pre-fitted with pulleys (hint: bolt-on pulley/rollers) but as a last resort it's worth the try. Making my winch portable is out of the question - it's close to 150lbs with the 90ft 7/16 aircraft cable.

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 5-18-2012 at 02:42 PM

Looks to me a winch plate that fits in a class a tow hitch reciver that could be moved from front to back would be ideal. then you could also stowe it until your next trip. A winch doesnt have to have a large flat pull rating you can double the rating buy two parting the line.:light::light:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-18-2012 at 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
Looks to me a winch plate that fits in a class a tow hitch reciver that could be moved from front to back would be ideal. then you could also stowe it until your next trip. A winch doesnt have to have a large flat pull rating you can double the rating buy two parting the line.:light::light:

That's what I do, J.P... Since I have more than one 4x4 vehicle, I bought (1) one WARN 9500 winch, and outfitted each 4x4 vehicle (3) with front and back "receivers" which the winch will attach to as you describe. I solve the electrical source problem with a 30 foot welding-cable extension cord that I can plug into the front elec. recepticles on each vehicle and run it over the top to power the winch when in the rear location--------it seems to work fine, tho I seldom have had to use it. I also carry two "snatch blocks" for gaining more pulling power. The WARN winch weighs in at about 90 lbs, so it is not that hard to move from front to back, or vehicle to vehicle, when necessary, especially when you have 2 people to help carry the winch (it has handles for that purpose).

Barry
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 5-18-2012 at 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.

That's what I do, J.P... Since I have more than one 4x4 vehicle, I bought (1) one WARN 9500 winch, and outfitted each 4x4 vehicle (3) with front and back "receivers" which the winch will attach to as you describe. I solve the electrical source problem with a 30 foot welding-cable extension cord that I can plug into the front elec. recepticles on each vehicle and run it over the top to power the winch when in the rear location--------it seems to work fine, tho I seldom have had to use it. I also carry two "snatch blocks" for gaining more pulling power. The WARN winch weighs in at about 90 lbs, so it is not that hard to move from front to back, or vehicle to vehicle, when necessary, especially when you have 2 people to help carry the winch (it has handles for that purpose).

Barry

Back in the 60's I worked for a co in Tex called ARDCO they built and leased specialty equipment used in Oil Exploration.

Such as those huge flotation Buggies I some times worked as a field mechanic. one season I worked on Padre Island, It was not too different from Baja. out side of the necessary Winches which i think were made by Koenig in Houston the most used tool was a 15lb boat drag anchor as there were no trees or much else to tie off to. they worked great in the sand.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-18-2012 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Ken you do carry snatch blocks right.

One snatch block is in the tool box behind my drivers seat.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.