Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Shell Island Memorial Day
hayb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2012 at 04:46 PM
Shell Island Memorial Day

2012 Memorial Day Trip May 25-29 report from long time camper of Baja but new to this forum.

We have camped at what (David K from this forum) calls it Shell Island on and off since 1997, our group simply called it Laguna Percebu but Shell Island sounds much sweeter. This is our first return trip since 2008.

We spent six day of relaxing, sea shelling, sunning (no burns), lounging, eating, napping, swimming, campfire drinking (tequila…ouch! wasted morning too), fishing, kiting, clamming, crying (Kids), body boarding (kids), pulling body board (hayb) and beach combing (picking up trash).

We aired down our tires to around 20 psi and was able to move our fully loaded truck to our campsite on first try.
Travel day going to Mexico in Calexico high 80’s NICE! Travel day coming to US in Calexico 106-108 HOT!
Water temperature around 78 or so.
Air temperature mid 80’s to low 90’s during the day. Lows to mid 60’s at night.
Wind the first night around 2:00 AM we had guest that came through and took one of our canopy (The only night we left the cover on!) Rest of the time wind was never an issue (we exercised removing canopy cover each night..GOT Smarter!) never got over 10-12 mph.

Overall very good trip, looking forward to same time next year. Only mishap was water pump failure on our Dodge in Calexico on day of our travel, spent good part of the day hanging out at local park. However we made up our lost day by staying another day in this piece of heaven. Our traditional last day fish taco at Laguna Percebu camp did not happen as it was closed on Wednesday, so we went into San Felipe to have some fish tacos.

Since five days seem to go by much to fast, we may try for a full week next year.

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2012 at 05:30 PM

that is so nice, love your pic's , that is a reall cute one of your daughter crashing in the lounge chair,, that tells it all
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-7-2012 at 05:38 PM

That is just wonderful!! What a perfect looking weekend, and I see you beat the crowds to it! LOL!!

I have never seen big jellyfish like those in your photos there before... always something new it seems with each return trip... keeps it interesting!

This was a RARE year that we did NOT go south to Shell Island (or Mision Santa Maria, etc.)...

Welcome to Baja Nomad!!:bounce::bounce:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2012 at 05:43 PM

your photos are so clear and sharp

what is your camera
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2012 at 05:53 PM

Your pictures are great. Looks like you all had a great time there.

Welcome to the Nomad group!!!

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2012 at 06:03 PM

The kids are great... and what a great place for kids (of all ages). I like this one, with Shell Island's national symbol, the sand dollar!:light:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2012 at 09:34 PM

Coranado Island is not an Island

Shell Island is not an island, but a great beach to enjoy a very perfecto Memorial day

We had our jet ski in the water that weekend and I think the water was warmer than the air.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2012 at 09:38 PM

Love it! Where did you get the folding picnic table?

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2012 at 08:17 AM

yes I was also remarking about the folding picnic table to the wife
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2012 at 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
Coranado Island is not an Island

Shell Island is not an island, but a great beach to enjoy a very perfecto Memorial day

We had our jet ski in the water that weekend and I think the water was warmer than the air.

When the high tide exceeds 18 feet, it is indeed an island!:light:

Seems the National Geographic map makers also think so:

But, yes it isn't like most islands as there is a land bridge to it when the high tides are not at their maximum.

hayb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2012 at 08:23 AM

It is hard to find campsite like this anywhere. Hardest part is getting in the first day with fully loaded vehicles. Although difficulty of driving in soft sand does make this place special for us...peaceful. Kids are talking about return trip next year. Just a shame that most of my group has been scared off due to reported violence.

Camera: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FH27

Picnic table: Lifetime 8 ft. Folding Picnic Table, Got fed up flimsy camping tables, Got it at Costco about 7 years ago, have not seen it since.

If you guys are interested I can post some pictures of prvious trips.

Thanks for the WARM Welcome to this forum.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2012 at 08:27 AM

yes welcome aboard

heck yes we would like to see some more pic's of your past trips
RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2012 at 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

Looks like a "Lifetime" table to me.

We use one of them in Baja, too. Not too easy to transport as the table only goes flat, not folded. The top and seats drop down into a flat package with dimensions of (more or less), 6ft wide by 6 or 8ft long, by 4" thick. We transport ours flat on top of a set of roof racks on top of the camper shell.

Great table, very sturdy, stands up to the Baja sun. Ours has been outside in full sun for 4-6 months a year for at least 6 years. Looks as good as the day it was purchased!

Available at Lowe's, Home Depot, Costco, Sam's Club, etc. (in the US).

http://www.lifetime.com/lawn-garden/picnic-tables

Added: "Got it at Costco about 7 years ago, have not seen it since."

Saw one at Lowe's about two weeks ago.

[Edited on 6-8-2012 by RnR]
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2012 at 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

I thought it was pretty neat also. This one at Wal Mart is close.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1622471...

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2012 at 08:37 AM

Heck yah... more photos of previous trips! We might have driven past you going to our favorite island spot?

Here is some photos form Memorial Day 2011 (we were the only ones camping on the island):

I hear the rumble of ATVs approaching...

BajaRob and Connie come with two bottles of champagne and champagne glasses to toast our arrival!

Good Baja friends... what fun!

Later, a pair of Jet Skis arrive and land on the island in front of our camp, it is Chuck and Chris (Baja Warrior) to say hello.
(Coming home on I-5 late last night, we pass them)

High tide was at midday and then the water goes back out again to expose new treasures to photograph...

Saturday, was a pretty mellow day with a nap or two. We did drive to Bahia Santa Maria to show off Rob and Connie's house to Kristi. We then drove down the beach to El Vergel to look for 'El Vergel' (Vern)... found his Jeep, but not him... left my card on his widshield wiper. We then went to Delicias for lunch at Aniceto's and it was very good. A return to Shell Island for a relaxing afternoon.

Low tide Sunday Morning...

We drive up to the north tip of Shell Island to see what has changed there, across the lagoon from Rancho Percebu.

A careful look for Tern eggs...

Mama or Papa Tern.

The entire 2011 post: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=53202

hayb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2012 at 09:03 AM

David K

I do recall on our first trip 97-98 having to wait to gettting on to the island due to high tide. Also having to time getting out of there. So I agree it does become an island at times.

One bonus of extreme high tide is that back bay fills up enough to really relax as the water gets about 10 degrees warmer then the ocean side. Its like a jacuzzi. I'll post some pictures later.
hayb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2012 at 11:38 AM

David we only make this trip on Memorial Day, So we probably never crossed paths. Looks like I should have made the trip in 2011. Maybe in 2013?

The picnic table is big but not a problem with 8ft bed RAM 2500

Here you go from the past trips of our group.
2008 this was the windiest trip ever, Lost three canopies

Trouble

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-8-2012 at 11:44 AM

looks like fun. sun sand and suds....

edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2012 at 12:33 PM

Looks like a great and fun vacation for you and the kids. Shell Island is my favorite too, will probably go again soon.

How did you pack all that stuff and people in one vehicle :-)?

El Vergel
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2012 at 12:48 PM
Oh! What Fun!

Thank you for this post. Looks like a great time was had by all in one of the most beautiful places on Earth!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.