Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: EMERGENCY TRIP TO TIJUANA
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 6-9-2012 at 11:51 PM
EMERGENCY TRIP TO TIJUANA

My 9 yr. old Chihuahua "Frida" entered her pet cage and was cut wide open as a result. The cage was assembled as directed, but that is a matter I will take up with the manufacturer off-line.

Frida with open wound - in pain.:no: Resting in her Animal Planet indoor dog house.

After making sure that I could make her comfortable, I went to the local drugstore and purchased some products to clean and dress the wound. Then, to the liquor store to buy a $2 calling card to reach my friends in Tijuana.

The drive to San Ysidro was stressful for Frida as she suffered the entire way there.

Once I parked at Border Station, Frida was able to have a small lunch. Earlier, she hadn't eaten but El Pollo Loco burritos always seem to do the trick.:yes:

The Taxi cost $5 from the Border to CG's home in Soler. From there, we traveled to the vet by car within 10 minutes. Here is Frida in the Consultation Lab.

[Edited on 6-10-2012 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 12:02 AM
Trip to the Coffee Shop

Heraclio Bernal, #1 L-13 Fracc Soler
22530 Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
01 664 630 2080

At age 16, I traveled to Amsterdam where I learned what a proper Coffee Shop is. Here in Tijuana, I talked to Tom K. about my European travels and joked about Coffee in different countries.

Tom K. originally from Denmark

'CG' is always contemplating an adventure. He would like for his next one to take place in Europe! I told him to check out Estonia for the lower prices - he is more interested in Holland - mainly for the Tulip Festival.

It isn't common that you will meet someone in Tijuana who speaks fluent English, Spanish, Danish, and German.

After an hour, it was time for Tom to return to work. He bid adieu from the drivers seat of his classic Ford pickup.:bounce:

After beverages at the Coffee shop, we went to 'CG's' place for lunch! I felt like I was at a Mexican restaurant with all of the good food I was served!

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 12:03 AM

That's too bad.. Ken.. hate to see any one hurt... and it sure looks like she got a nasty tear from the cage...

Glad she is ok... my mother always had Chihuahua's ...

She doesn't any more, she is 93, but, my sis and her husband have a Irish Setter... so there is still a dog around the house... albeit some what larger

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 12:15 AM

Returning for Frida, I saw this classic muscle car parked on the street. This must be a fun ride in Tijuana!:bounce:

You simply cannot get lost in Soler with buildings painted with information such as this.

There are some very strange and interesting homes in Tijuana City!

Frida was in good spirits when we returned for her. I don't know why I was afraid she might die, but as you can see, she looked like she was ready to play.

I finally got to hold my Frida for the first time without worrying about her guts spilling out.

After picking up Frida, it was back to the 'CG' Casa for a quick nap, and plans for the evening in DOWNTOWN TIJUANA!:bounce:

Fast forward to 7 PM, and we picked up Cousin Alex (made famous by DIRT SPORTS MAGAZINE). We were off for a quality ITALIAN Dinner at Vittorio's on Calle Revoluccion.

Near the L.A. Cetto building is this massive Mexican flag.

It's a good thing Alex doesn't drive - I don't know where he would put his tablet and smartphone to change lanes!:o

As day turned to dusk, the fog began to slowly roll in to Downtown Tijuana.

Alex took a few calls while we waited to be seated.

After dinner, I had to put my camera away. During our walk down Calle Revoluccion, I snapped photos of this fun car show.

After a couple of programs, we picked up Frida, and I was dropped off at the border to cross into San Ysidro, CA. I arrived home at 2:15 a.m. PHEW! I WAS TIRED!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 12:22 AM
The next day

Back at home, Frida was looking better than ever. Sure, she needed a good nights sleep, but after that, she was as spunky and aggressive as ever.

Frida resting after her Dog Surgery.

Leidys was feeling terrible about Frida's wound. She played with our other Chihuahua 'TJ', who appeared sad while Frida was away on her Vet Adventure.

Frida felt happier and secure inside her own backyard. She doesn't like the random noise of the Tijuana streets. A quiet backyard is what she knows as home.

Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 12:25 AM

Ken sorry to hear about your dog's injury. A Mexicali Vet saved our boxer some years back when a car hit her breaking her leg. It required several days at the vet office, shots, screws put in her leg to hold it together and special care after we got her back home. The vet in mexicali was great and really loved animals. Glad you found a good vet in T.J. Take Care & Travel Safe----"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 12:26 AM

That was a really bad cut...

astrobaja
Senior Nomad

Mood: beam me up

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 10:00 AM

Ken, thats a nasty cut for poor Frida! You should see about getting some good antibacterial soap like Hibitane to keep the area clean as it heals. We always had some on hand at our horse barn cause horses were experts at getting hurt!

Hope you give that manufacturer a piece of your mind, they should at least cover your vet expenses!

\"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened\"

Douglas Adams

our website: http://bajadarkskies.com
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 10:04 AM

Ken,
So glad to see Frida sewed up and happy again!

Worth her weight in Gold!
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 10:44 AM

Ken,
Great dog names! Glad Frida got the medical attention she needed. That ford truck was b-tchin.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by astrobaja
Hope you give that manufacturer a piece of your mind, they should at least cover your vet expenses!

I will send a letter along with glossy photos of Fridas pet visit to the vet and all related receipts. As I said, this particular cage was used as directed by the instructions, and this horrible accident still took place. Had I been away with Leidys on an extended Baja trip, we could very easily come home to a dead animal.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mula
Ken,
So glad to see Frida sewed up and happy again!

Worth her weight in Gold!

This dog is like my own daughter. I raised her from 7 weeks until now. I would let nothing happen to her because she means so much to me.

Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 11:42 AM

My husband's Candy is to him, also. So we know! So happy for the family and a good ending.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 11:51 AM

Great story Ken!

Glad that Frida will be OK.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 12:01 PM

whoa ... that's a lot of stiches for a little chihuahua ... we are also glad that she is OK now. what a day, what a night.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
whoa ... that's a lot of stiches for a little chihuahua ... we are also glad that she is OK now. what a day, what a night.

If necessary, I would do it again today. That little Chihuahua means that much to me. This is definitely a story with a happy ending.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 03:16 PM

Excellent!:light::cool:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

No, Excellente!
:lol:

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 06:20 PM
Actually I think it is 'excelente'

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

No, Excellente!
:lol:

but, however you spell it we are all glad to see her home and in one piece

(I still say if you don't keep taking pictures of the gorgeous woman and posting them here your wife will find out and conk you)
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner

(I still say if you don't keep taking pictures of the gorgeous woman and posting them here your wife will find out and conk you)

I completely agree! We're going back to Tijuana in a few days for a top secret (SHHH!) trip. We're traveling there with a model - I'll make sure both Women look like a Million Pesos! :lol:

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.