Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bad Perko switch
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 04:01 PM
Bad Perko switch

I have a standard two-battery selector switch with a single Merc 115 4-stroke outboard. The other day the motor would not start but all the other electronics worked fine. Would not crank. I moved the selector switch to the other battery but same thing. I motored back to camp using the kicker and when we got it on the trailer we pulled the motor cover tapped on the starter solenoid and the motor turned over. Great, solenoid has a bad spot in it. We fish next day and when we get back to shore, we turn the engine off, go get the trailer and the motor would not start - same thing. We pull the cover off, tap on the starter and nothing. This time, all the power is off, not just to the starter switch. I reach down to the Perko and barely touch the knob and the power comes back to the consul but the motor won't turn over. I pull the Perko and the terminals are a bid corroded, not a lot but a little. I clean them, spray them with Deoxy Gold and put it all back together. Everything ran great for 2 days.
My question is this, the corrosion was really not that bad and I'm wondering if the sealed Perko switch might be going bad? Anyone have this happen to them?
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 04:24 PM
perko switch

HOLA,yes the can/will go bad..but first do a voltage drop test and I have seen bad cables do the same thing..when you do the voltage drop test do it on the pos and the ground.simple and quik....K & T:cool: ps dont strike the starter with anything harder than a stick !! most of them have a sticker saying "DO NOT STRIKE" and the reason is you can crack the magnets !! and most time tapping the solinoid is the :cool:ticket when its on its way out ...K & T

[Edited on 6-10-2012 by captkw]
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
HOLA,yes the can/will go bad..but first do a voltage drop test and I have seen bad cables do the same thing..when you do the voltage drop test do it on the pos and the ground.simple and quik
[Edited on 6-10-2012 by captkw]

How do I do this test? I do have a basic volt/ohm meter.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2012 at 05:13 PM
voltage drop test

HOLA, 1st on ANY outboard pull the plug wires off the plugs!!!! any good DVM WILL WORK..A ANALOG MIGHT WORK ON THE LOW DC volts..take the red test lead and clip/hold to the pos cable end on the solenoid and the neg test lead to a good ground and ck for 12.6 fully charged batt...then hit the key the voltage should not drop below 10.0 if it does that is where your problem lies and also ck voltage first,second resistance,,third drop..ok where are the spelling police?? LOL ps deoxit is gold!! K & T..:cool:

[Edited on 6-11-2012 by captkw]

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2012 at 06:51 AM

Good advice capt, so often people forget to test their systems under a load. Just testing for voltage is not enough.
Larry
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2012 at 08:17 AM
work for me

HOLA,7/8 months fixing boats then I get baja for the winter !! its a rough life. but I got to do it..LOL K & T:cool:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.