Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: >>Calle Revoluccion::Tijuana..12:06:12>>con solo 10 hras
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 6-12-2012 at 11:34 PM
>>Calle Revoluccion::Tijuana..12:06:12>>con solo 10 hras

After answering the call of a friend who needed help going back to her native Mexico, Leidys and I found ourselves in the throes of a new adventure. Last week, I made a 14 hr.
EMERGENCY TRIP TO TIJUANA after discovering that my Chihuahua needed stitches following a freak home accident. With my Chihuahua on a positive road to recovery, it was judged that we could make the short 10 hr. day trip to Tijuana.

I know what you are thinking...10 hours (including driving) isn't enough time to barely scratch the surface! When you are given free gas money, you tend to find ways to work within parameters handed to you.

Handling first (of many) clumsy, broken suitcase bags

There is something about the street corner where we found our Bike Taxi driver. This is also the same street corner where Baja 'Doug' Nomad spotted Leidys and I walking to Calle Revoluccion in January! Saved again at this street corner from hurting ourselves with the bags from hell with a disc-braked taxi on 3 wheels!

All packed and ready for Mexico!

I did not know that baggage handling was a full-time 24/7 job in Tijuana - but here is the proof!

Bags falling off hand-cart showing that broken luggage is not easy for ANYONE to handle!

Our friends' cousin was waiting at the border, and after 5 minutes, Leidys and I were left alone on a lonely sidewalk in Tijuana. With no other way to fill our time, we headed for Calle Revoluccion for some tourist shopping and great Italian dining!

"Wave Bye!"

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2012 at 11:46 PM

Along the way to La Puente or, "The Bridge", we came across an old plaza I haven't seen since my College years (early 90's). COLLEGE?

Leidys was on high-alert as she watched a man get hand-cuffed and walked away by Police. She told me to not take photographs in this 'dangerous high-crime area'. You are not supposed to see this.

When this plaza was completed in ~1993/1994, it was full of binge-drinking College students from San Diego. Now, it is an empty shell of its' former self.

Search "Bridge to Tijuana" and you will hear tales of robbery and murder related to this bridge. Times have changed, and the bridge is all you have probably heard (and more).

Traffic entering and leaving Tijuana, Mexico flows smoothly below the bridge to Calle Revoluccion - Tijuana. The building to the left has apartments for rent.

This is a scene of the new Mexico Border Crossing - the one that will not be lining up with the new USA Point of Entry. This October, when both sides open their respective border crossings, things are going to get interesting. Yes, that is a man with his head placed between his legs - doing God knows what.

If you see this sign, it means that you are on Articulo 123 in Tijuana, and will soon arrive at Calle Primera and Calle Revoluccion.

Only a few more steps, and you are at the beginning of the World Famous Calle Revoluccion - Tijuana, Mexico. Hey, what happened to The Hard Rock Cafe???

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2012 at 11:57 PM
Got Baja? Tijuana has it!

Leidys displaying free brochures on Baja travel!:bounce:

Free brochures aplenty!:light:

Walking down Calle Revoluccion, I was surprised with how BUSY this street has become again. Any fans on Baja Nomad of the Mexican Norteņo sound?

Just past the Austrian Consulate, we walked up to this amazing Italian restaurant - and Institution on an otherwise kitschy street.

Vittorio's

My first course - Onion Soup

Shrimp/Calamari Pizza with Vegetarian Spaghetti anyone?

How about some out-of-this-world Sangria?

After eating our 80 Peso Lunch Specials, we laughed and took tons of photos on the blvd. This one proves that while dying in Spain, Bullfighting in Tijuana is still a passion among its' people.

Even a group of Amish Farmers found the time to sightsee on Calle Revoluccion!:!:

[Edited on 6-13-2012 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2012 at 12:04 AM
The return trip

Our time in Tijuana was about to come to a close. So much fun, but a sick dog awaits us back at home.

Street Crossing leading to Calle Revoluccion or the San Ysidro Point of Entry.

Walking along the 'Puente' we spotted a group of angry, drunk, high men who were trying (in vain) to get our attention. I didn't care to hear what they wanted to say - I just wanted more photographs of the surrounding decay.

As young men scanned our baggage looking for easy pickings, I continued to snap shots and catch up to Leidys as she walked briskly (alone) back to safety near the USA border. Dense motor traffic below.

Attractive young women adorn the billboards of the US/Mexico border zone.

THE END

[Edited on 6-13-2012 by Ken Cooke]

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2012 at 08:04 AM

GREAT photo tour post !!

A part of Baja that is hardly ever photographed or discussed.

(Love the "Pompano style" photo tour)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-13-2012 at 08:27 AM

Thanks Ken!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2012 at 08:34 AM

As always Ken, nice shots! Looks like a nice day.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-13-2012 at 08:42 AM

vegetarian pasta? i've heard everything now!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2012 at 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RnR
GREAT photo tour post !!

A part of Baja that is hardly ever photographed or discussed.

(Love the "Pompano style" photo tour)

Pompano does it right everytime. :yes: Keep up the great work, Pompano!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.