Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Hanging in Cabo
Heather
Nomad

cool.gif posted on 7-6-2012 at 10:03 AM
Hanging in Cabo

I know many of you don't like to make it to Land's End but for me and my family it's home.
Our trip started last Saturday with an anxious morning at SAN airport. My sister works for Alaska Airlines and that is the reason we started coming to Los Cabos more than 20 years ago. It also means that we fly space available...there were 5 of us flying down and we got very lucky since there were 6 open seats. There were less seats open originally but a few passengers had passport issues so weren't allowed on (word to the wise!)

Made it down with only one piece of lost luggage, which we picked up the next day. Had booked a car online with the quoted price of $9.00/day plus tax...$122.00 for the 11 days of our stay...of course it was too good to be true. With insurance I 'm paying $445.00 US at Dollar Rental.

My sister had a room at the Hotel Mar de Cortez so we took a room for the night there as well...nice older hotel, pool, restaurant, and wifii.

My husband and I drove a trailer down here about 10 years ago, so we drove up to our place in colonia 4 de marzo to see if we could stay there for the rest of our trip. We found the place dark with a pitbull in the front yard...my 20 year old step-sons have been living there the last couple of years so we never know what to expect! The next day we found a cousin of theirs at the camper and it looked kind of messy and smelled like "boy" inside...we opted not to stay there, but we did find some nice, ripe mangoes on the tree!

We went around the corner to my brother-in-laws place and visited with his family. My younger nephew was graduating from high school on Wed. so we planned a nice little grad party for him...he wanted pizza from Costco so had that and a beautiful cake from our favorite bakery.

We ended up staying at a nice hotel muy economical in downtown Cabo. 400 pesos/ night (less than $30). Hotel Melida is the name...nothing fancy but it has TV, air, and wifii....my sis has the pool around the corner which my girls have been taking advantage of.

We've done some visiting ; Tia Ana, Tia Reyna and her kids and pets, Tia Dorita for machaca de pescado and frijoles, cousin Luly and her family, my daughters ' old dance teacher who moved down here last year from Chula Vista and her baby girl.

Most of our time has been spent enjoying snorkeling and sailing on the Pez Gato sailboats. This is one of the oldest tourist boats in San Lucas and it's always great to go out with the boys....the captains have been on the boats since the 20 years we 've been around so always good to catch up and reminsce. They love their job!

Plan to head to La Paz tomorrow to see my mother-in-law and family. My girls can't wait to see their cousins! We may see some Nomads along the way too. I may get some pictures here later...or link to my facebook.

Enjoying Cabo...and it's not too hot! Saludos Desde el fin de Baja.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 10:11 AM

Glad you had a great time there also.

My wife and I spent 4 day there last week, but only used the Mar De Cortez hotel as a base of operations for visiting other locales within a radius of 150 miles.

Cabo is more of a party town for the younger set, and unless you fish or drink, there isn't much to do. Our highlight of the stay in Cabo was visiting Todos Santos...what an old gem! Reminiscent of Mulege.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 10:12 AM

Heather----------nice, relaxing report------thank you.

So, on the rental car---------does not your credit card have rental car insurance included as a perk? I have never bought the insurance offered by the car rental guys (muy expensive), anywhere in the world---------does the credit card insurance not cover the rental cars in Mexico???

Barry
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 11:25 AM

Your assumption is correct, Barry. US credit card does not cover insurance in Mexico.
Last week we rented an Alamo small car. Cost us $56.00 U.S for a week and $112.00 for the week's worth of insurance. No hassles, no arguments, no police. Totally up front and above board.
We drove it about 600 miles and cost us 4 1/2 tank fill-ups of about 20 liters each.

Udo

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Your assumption is correct, Barry. US credit card does not cover insurance in Mexico.

Udo,
I think Barry was pointing out that the credit card probably DOES cover rental insurance re: collision, etc.....most cards do (it's not a USA thing necessarily).

My VISA card people have confirmed with me several times over the years that only a few countries on the planet do not allow the credit card coverage....Ireland is one of them....the other is probably a country that has no vowels in its name :coolup:

Folks just don't do their homework and rely on assumption, gossip, and what their neighbour's uncle's friend said.

Don't believe everything you think....
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 12:49 PM

Nothing wrong with Cabo as long as you have plenty $$$$$. :biggrin:
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 02:20 PM

As an example...two small mixed drinks at Cabo Wabo were $11.00 plus tip!
Street food is OK, but restaurant food is out of line.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress

Udo

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Glad you had a great time there also.

My wife and I spent 4 day there last week, but only used the Mar De Cortez hotel as a base of operations for visiting other locales within a radius of 150 miles.

Cabo is more of a party town for the younger set, and unless you fish or drink, there isn't much to do. Our highlight of the stay in Cabo was visiting Todos Santos...what an old gem! Reminiscent of Mulege.

unless you fish or drink there isnt much to do? what do you do at your place that cabo doesnt offer???:?:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

Udo,
I think Barry was pointing out that the credit card probably DOES cover rental insurance re: collision, etc.....most cards do (it's not a USA thing necessarily).

My VISA card people have confirmed with me several times over the years that only a few countries on the planet do not allow the credit card coverage....Ireland is one of them....the other is probably a country that has no vowels in its name :coolup:

Folks just don't do their homework and rely on assumption, gossip, and what their neighbour's uncle's friend said.

Motogeg---------You are correct, and that WAS my thinking. It is easy to confirm by calling the credit card Company and asking. I always call my Credit Card company before travelling abroad just so they know where I am going so they don't question my purchases in those places (which they have done to me when I don't alert them). I am with USAA Master Card and they are very touchy about those types of things. So far, every country that I have visited does honor the Credit Card Rental car Insurance, as I remember. The only car I have ever rented in Mexico was in Yucatan, and later in La Paz, and yes they did honor the Credit card offered Retal car Auto Insurance, but that was 10 years ago, or so.

Barry

[Edited on 7-6-2012 by Barry A.]
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 06:26 PM

There is a minimum liability that is required to rent a car in Mexico, covers accidents and damage to third party.
There is also optional insurance that would pay for theft and damages to the car....this is what is covered with the credit card and what I declined at the counter. With this company they put a $3000 hold on the credit card because of declining this optional insurance.

There are plenty of places to eat and drink in Cabo inexpensively....you just have to look. We ate at Pollo de Oro the other day for lunch...1/2 a pollo with sides and tortillas about 60 pesos...1/4 pollo for 40 pesos. ($3.00). The food is very tasty too.

Stuffed baked potatoes for 70 pesos about $5.00. Stuffed with carne, cheese, corn, and mushrooms and you can add all the salsas and guacamole you want...this is at Tacos Paisa...tacos here are about 20 pesos.

Hamburgers and fries at Tanga Tanga for 45 pesos...hot dogs y papas 35 pesos.
These are all pretty close to the center of Cabo. If you go out a bit food can be even cheaper...we 're going for sopes in the barrio tonight 13 pesos a piece...2 will fill you up.....hungry yet?

My point is that yes Cabo can be very expensive and touristy but if you look around and do a bit of exploring it can be the small time quaint village that most of you seem to crave in Baja.

But it has the boats and pools that make it so much fun...we are currently at the Bahia enjoying the pool and drinks (oh yea I usually buy a bottle and mix my own drinks).

Saludos desde Los Cabos.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 06:37 PM

well put!:bounce:
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 06:55 PM

Heather, have you eaten at Campestre? Great food...great prices!

http://www.cabo4you.com/cabo-guide/detail.php?n=248

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g152515-d250832...
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 07:14 PM

Nice report --- need pictures! :yes:

Quote:

I know many of you don't like to make it to Land's End but for me and my family it's home.

The Baja Peninsula includes Tijuana, Mexicali, Cabo San Lucas, and everything in between. It is all the "real" Baja.

It is good to hear about where you are and what it has to offer.

Thanks
Diana

goldhuntress
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 08:20 PM

Wow, good for you! Have a great time and yes, pictures please! Last time in Cabo we got lost in a neighborhood and stumbled across the BEST shrimp soup I have ever had. A woman had a little stand in front of her house, it was to die for. Good times:biggrin:
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 09:40 PM

Don't like to make it to lands end?

You make it sound like you are driving in a trophy truck and getting beat to hell.

You are taking the ez way down on a free magic carpet, as would I!!

However, I can fly to Europe from Fhenix cheaper than I can from Fenix to Cabo.

But, when I do go down, forget San Jose Del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas, I love Playa Los Ceritos

Now that is where I will be hanging in the winters once I retire.
Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2012 at 11:22 PM

We have some land at Los Cerritos, 2000 square meters....let me know when you 're ready to retire and I 'll make you a deal!

And the sopes were excellent tonight....300 pesos for 8 of us to eat!
yellowklr
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-7-2012 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
As an example...two small mixed drinks at Cabo Wabo were $11.00 plus tip!
Street food is OK, but restaurant food is out of line.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress

You guys don't know what you are talking about....you have to know where to go.....I just spent 8 days in cabo and never over spent on food......I had a few super fancy awesome meals for 40 bucks for 2!

Derek
htnfool
Nomad

Mood: Fishy

[*] posted on 7-8-2012 at 06:44 AM

I'm with Derek (yellowklr) on this one! Me and my wife, spend usually 3 weeks a year in Cabo. I only go for the fishing, drinking and eating;D.

I pay a whopping 18 pesos per beer at Baja Cantina. That's right on the Marina in front of the jumbo Yachts. That's about $1.35 per beer at 13.35 conversion rate. Very affordable especially for Cabo standards. I love the street tacos for a reasonable rate of 26 pesos each, damn they are good. It takes 3 to fill me up. At your usual night-time diners we usually spend about 40 bucks for 2 and eat like a King. Got to pick you eateries cause you can get burned if you eat at the easy to find (tourist traps).
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-8-2012 at 07:05 AM

Hey, Heather
Thanks for including us in your hanging around.
It was great to meet you and your beautiful girls
Have a great time in La Paz
Hope to see you again!

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2012 at 06:36 AM

I like the perusing of all the local stalls that sell stuff from all over Mexico....if you can speak Spanish, they are very interesting folk with very interesting lives.

I think the overspending at restaurants can be true in any city - if you hunt, you can find the better prices in Cabo, Paris, Rome.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.