BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Save time corssing at Tecate?-Forget it!
Cielomar
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 09:10 AM
Save time corssing at Tecate?-Forget it!

I had never waited more than 45 minutes to cross at TJ so was curious when people suggested Tecate as the better crossing. It is if you have 3-4 more hours to waste, want to see even more dry desert or are going in that direction! Highway 3 branches off of Hwy 1 north (or perhaps west) of Ensenada just before Hwy1 turns into the excellent toll road to TJ. At first Hwy 3 is four lanes but quickly drops to an improved 2 lane through the small wine country of the Guadalupe Valley and finally reverts back to the typical narrow, windy, no shoulder Baja road ( with construction delays, of course). Several problems on this route. Slow trucks hauling containers from the Port of Ensenada to Mexicali hog the road and make the approx 120km a 2 hour + ordeal. A major military stop 36 km before Tecate takes 45-60 minutes to clear, especially when you’re behind the container haulers. Then there’s the 2-1/2 hour wait at the border crossing (2 portals only), the windy Highway 94 in San Diego County and the 20 minute secondary US Immigration inspection wait about 20 miles down the road from the crossing. This turned the normal El Rosario-Ventura 475 mile run into a 13 hour grind (I averaged about 35 mph). I also understand that TJ is improving their crossing lanes and waits are now shorter. Happy travels…
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 09:36 AM
Quick Crossing

I think everyone should cross at Tecate or San Ysidro, and stay away from Otay Mesa (you won't like it).

Also do not use the Ready Lanes or SENTRI, they are just government rip offs..........:lol:

beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
I think everyone should cross at Tecate or San Ysidro, and stay away from Otay Mesa (you won't like it).

Also do not use the Ready Lanes or SENTRI, they are just government rip offs..........:lol:

I LOVE IT! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
If we didn't know how much in love you are with Otay Mesa we might even begin to take you seriously. :lol::lol::lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 10:11 AM

Tecate is the pits, be affraid, be very affraid! :rolleyes: lol

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 10:18 AM

Totally agree-- Tecate is no time saver. You might get a shorter time in line, but your extra driving will chew up that time you saved!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 10:18 AM

just go south and never come back..... i'm trying like hell myself!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 10:20 AM

:wow::):coolup::light:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cielomar
I had never waited more than 45 minutes to cross at TJ so was curious when people suggested Tecate as the better crossing. It is if you have 3-4 more hours to waste, want to see even more dry desert or are going in that direction! Highway 3 branches off of Hwy 1 north (or perhaps west) of Ensenada just before Hwy1 turns into the excellent toll road to TJ. At first Hwy 3 is four lanes but quickly drops to an improved 2 lane through the small wine country of the Guadalupe Valley and finally reverts back to the typical narrow, windy, no shoulder Baja road ( with construction delays, of course). Several problems on this route. Slow trucks hauling containers from the Port of Ensenada to Mexicali hog the road and make the approx 120km a 2 hour + ordeal. A major military stop 36 km before Tecate takes 45-60 minutes to clear, especially when you’re behind the container haulers. Then there’s the 2-1/2 hour wait at the border crossing (2 portals only), the windy Highway 94 in San Diego County and the 20 minute secondary US Immigration inspection wait about 20 miles down the road from the crossing. This turned the normal El Rosario-Ventura 475 mile run into a 13 hour grind (I averaged about 35 mph). I also understand that TJ is improving their crossing lanes and waits are now shorter. Happy travels…

Yup, Agree!

It takes 4 hours (or more) to go from Ensenada to the I-15/I-8 jct no matter which way you go. Two hour driving and a 2 hour wait at San Ysidro or Otay, or 3 1/2 hour driving and a 1/2 hour wait at Tecate. (If the wait at Tecate exceeds 30 minutes, it's faster to go thru TJ.)

Overall, I find it FASTER to go thru TJ and I find it less STRESSFUL to go thru Tecate. So.... choose your poison :fire:
bigboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 11:47 AM

I always cross the border at the TJ crossing. Even with the construction at the port of entry, I never wait more than 15 minutes in the Sentri lanes. Last Monday morning, 11:00am, the wait was 4 minutes!
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 03:26 PM

sounds like a big whine fest:biggrin: Glad you finally made it home.

zac

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 04:12 PM
Pure nonsense!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Cielomar

You must be having a really bad day- cuz none of your numbers make sense.

I do agree, that the Tecate wait can be aggravating.
But, I have never waited longer than 5 minutes at the "major military checkpoint"
Sometimes we don't even stop rolling at the North of Border Migra station, and never sat there a full minute.
Yeah, the trucks are aggravating, but that road presents plenty of passing opportunities- never been stuck long behind a truck or any vehicle for that matter.
Never waited 2.5 hours at Tecate- longest was just under 2 hours.
Maybe I am lucky, all around,
but I still think that your post is pure hyperbole...
bajario
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 05:39 PM

3 minutes in the Sentry Lane this morning at SY. 10:00 am. Maybe 6 cars in front of us.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 05:54 PM

I hit it about the same time, thirty-seven seconds in the ready lane! and the regular lanes were blowin by me! you guys gotta lose those flippin sentri passes!;)
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 06:34 PM

Believe it or not!

What has worked out really great...!

Fly from Orange county to Cabo...2 hr flight; rent a car in Cabo...15 min, 1/2 hour waiting to board in the OC.

All this works out to two hours less than driving to Ensenada!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2012 at 07:53 PM

So I just checked here http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/
The wait @ 7PM 8/5/12 is 4 (as in FOUR) hours. If you want to challenge the accuracy of the time................. be my guest!!

[Edited on 8-6-2012 by BornFisher]
surfdoc
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2012 at 08:56 AM

Yep..........the wait at Tecate last time I went thru (2 weeks ago) sucked !!!!!!!!!!

I waited longer to get my McDonalds Big Mac and fries then at the border..
Didn't even eat any french fries !!!
Cause there were NO cars at 1930........

Oh and hate the wine country/trucks/construction...try this secret road...Avenue 2000...

Now lets discuss the benefits of each border crossing when heading south LOL..........
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2012 at 09:04 AM

Now what sucks is Mexicali, imo... I try again on occaision, but when coming north from San Felipe, I greatly prefer Tecate. We crossed back Saturday afternoon (a week before last Sat.) and the total wait was about 45 min. and that's not bad after being in Baja for 15 days!

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-6-2012 at 09:53 AM
No, No, No

Quote:
Originally posted by surfdoc
...try this secret road...Avenue 2000.........

NEVER take Corridor 2000...............road construction, traffic, cops seeking mordita, bodies hanging from bridges, beheadings........ALWAYS use San Ysidro and Tecate........:lol:

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2012 at 12:38 PM

See? Those who have traveled the routes know the score and it's sometimes personal. I like the SY crossing South but not North. To me, there's always a wait going North -- it's a matter of how long. And then you have the human zoo to entertain you plus hundreds of cars jockeying for position. It is quicker to SY from Ensenada and then you get to wait.

Tecate is for those with time and who aren't in a hurry. It's more driving and it helps if you like the wine country. Construction is mostly completed and following a slow semi is luck of the draw. The crossing wait at Tecate is a poop shoot anyway. No rocket science here. Sometimes you wait, mostly you don't.

Personally, I enjoy the 94 road, and Otay Lake Rd. Feels like California and I like that.

Either way, it's about a toss-up. Drive more, wait less, or drive less and wait more. I'd rather be driving, even if it's slow, than traveling a few feet (at SY) every few seconds for 2 hours. That's about the average wait when I've gone through. You can't really look away from the vehicle in front of you or else there'll be an accident. Forgetaboutit.

There's also a pattern for rush hour traffic. Don't know what those hours are since I never cross on weekends, or later in the day. SY or Tecate seems to be fine at 7am going South, and Tecate mid-week early afternoon (going North) is good too.

Sometimes I check the wait at SY and Tecate when I'm in Ensenada and if you have internet, that's an option.

http://apps.cbp.gov/bwt/

:)

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 8-6-2012 at 04:43 PM

I cross at Tecate, forth and back, 4 to 6 times a year. I don't recommend it, use some other POE. :saint:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.