Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Baja California's New Museum
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 03:00 PM
Baja California's New Museum

I just returned from a wonderful week camped in the Sierra de San Pedro Mártir National Park with Pili my little corgi, worthy successor to Penny and Pedro who accompanied me on my summer 2001 stay in the park. Their photos of course adorned the cover of my book, Nearer My Dog to Thee.

Endemic Mearn's squirrel

Pili had lots of fun being teased by the squirrels and growling at coyotes while she followed master hiking through forest and meadow and up and down granite boulders.

Normally we like to visit the San Pedro Martir a little earlier in the year when it’s not too hot and there’s maybe a few patches of snow still on the ground, but we gave it a try for early August hoping to avoid dramatic rain and hail from monsoonal storms that affect the area in high summer.

It rained on us most days, but mostly lightly and predictably between 2 to 5 PM. Otherwise the gathering thunderheads just provided welcome midday shade, cooling breezes and a fantastic energy in the forest. Certainly my brave corgi didn’t seem too bothered by all the booms and rumblings as other areas of the mountains were getting hammered by lightning strikes and torrential rain.

The rangers and staff of the “Parque Nacional de San Pedro Mártir” were as friendly and helpful as ever. They informed me that the Visitor’s Center which has been sitting empty and in need of a little TLC for ten years was finally going to open August 9. Nearly all the park staff would be in attendance and many dignitaries would be there along with reporters from Baja newspapers and television crews - possibly even the governor of BC himself!

Friendly park ranger keeping an eye on me

Even though the governor couldn’t make it, it turned out to be quite an event. Helicopters came and went, there were academic and political dignitaries from Mexicali, La Paz and Mexico City. Speeches about the importance of conservation from Benito Bermudez regional director of CONANP, Juan Rafael Elvira Quezada, Secretary of SEMARNAT, and Efraín Nieblas Ortiz, the Secretary for the Protection of the Environment of BC, which has direct responsibility for the park.

The blue ribbon was cut, the doors were open and we all poured inside to appreciate the work and investment that has been put into making this Museum well worth a visit.

Galleries and rooms told of the region’s geological and natural history, its peoples, the early explorations by missionaries, soldiers, scientific expeditions, and the work being conducted at the Observatory and the California condor project.

It starts to rain just as the final group shot is taken

For such an out of the way location, the quality of the Museum testifies to the vision that strives to conserve the San Pedro Mártir for future generations… and bring as many as 10,000 more visitors to the park each year!

I have mixed feelings about that of course… but after twenty years of being enthralled and delighted by this very special piece of protected Baja real estate, I’ll be content knowing there will be a quiet spot for me and my dog to explore next year.

To get to the museum follow the road through the park towards the Observatory and you’ll find it on your left past the Tasajera turn, just before you reach Vallecitos.

It’s described as the Centro de Cultura para la Conservacion on the park map given to visitors. However, the sign outside declares Museo de Cultura e Historia Natural.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 8-12-2012 at 03:36 PM

Thank you for providing such detailed information on this new Museum, Graham!

astrobaja
Senior Nomad

Mood: beam me up

[*] posted on 8-13-2012 at 10:35 AM

Thanks for the report Graham, we were so bummed that we could'nt make it, had to prepare for guests!

We also have some Kiliwa stone tools that we want to donate to the museum, Gonzalo the park director was keen to do something archeological as well!

I was told the Governor did come but just stayed kind of in the background consulting with park officials.

Will have to take a trip up tomorrow to take a peek!

cheers

Mike

\"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened\"

Douglas Adams

our website: http://bajadarkskies.com
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2012 at 12:17 PM

Glad you enjoyed the pictures... hopefully they give some idea what a great little museum this is for appreciating the San Pedro Martir.

Sorry I missed you Mike... and so the governor was around. I wondered who was in the helicopter?

I'm sure the museum will appreciate those Kiliwa artifacts. The Kiliwa exhibit is one of the major displays in the museum. And I know you'll enjoy the Observatory section.

There's an expanded story about the museum on my website with more photos including parts of the Kiliwa and Observatory displays...

http://www.grahammackintosh.com/Pages/TriptoSanPedroMartir20...

Hope the museum will be open for you tomorrow. It sounded like for a while at least it might only be open on certain days, probably weekends, till they arrange staff and maybe volunteers to greet the visitors.

Hey you might find yourself put to work! Enjoy.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-13-2012 at 03:12 PM

Thank you Graham, it looks wonderful. However, if one were to see the museum open, it sure would be great to know if it was indeed open before making the 100 mile, round-trip to the museum from Hwy. 1.

Were the displays described in English too, or just Spanish?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2012 at 03:44 PM

looks state of the art ... and beautiful ! Looks like we have a new place to check out.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 8-13-2012 at 03:57 PM

Mil gracias for the tour of the new museum, Graham. I'll look forward to being there in person next time we are that way.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 8-13-2012 at 04:29 PM

Great pix Graham
We were up there in March- there was a foot of fresh snow and no ability to prowl around the new construction

Wait til next year, I guess.

And yes, we camped up there one summer and those afternoon boomers were really something,
We made sure everything was covered after lunch and 4 p.m. on the nose, down came the rain, and it came down in torrents, by 5 we would have blue sky and not another peep until manana.
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 8-13-2012 at 05:31 PM

Thanks, I would really like to get back there before winter sets in. I also had a chance to visit the new Vita (wine museum) in Guadalupe. Interesting

bacquito
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2012 at 12:07 AM

It was so nice when the storms were a little way off and all I got was cool breezes and light rain... very different when they are overhead and dumping rain and hail and trees are getting struck all around. Exhilarating to say the least.

I certainly woudn't venture all the way up there just to visit the museum in case it's closed. Maybe Mike will have an update about planned opening hours.

And just about all the display information was in Spanish only.

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 8-14-2012 at 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Thank you Graham, it looks wonderful. However, if one were to see the museum open, it sure would be great to know if it was indeed open before making the 100 mile, round-trip to the museum from Hwy. 1.

Were the displays described in English too, or just Spanish?

Maybe the Musem is like the Park its always open unless it snows
The building looks like the old welcome center.
That park should be near the top of everyones to do list.
It's one of our favorite places.:cool::cool:
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2012 at 08:42 AM

do they have any RV camping spots,
astrobaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2012 at 09:19 AM

Graham, thanks for the link to your expanded report, enjoyed that!!

The observatory has a new director as of this year and he told me that there could be plans to build a small dome or roll-off roof structure, beside the museum to house a scope that people could actually look through (the ones up top you only get a tour of since actual telescope time is sold to astronomers). So that might be a very cool addition to what the museum offers already. I'm getting a special scope for viewing solar prominences so that will be perfect for doing public outreach for the park and observatory during the daytime!!

I'll try to find out a more solid schedule of hours from the observatory but I think its a bit erratic right now as some things need to be finished construction wise.

I don't think any rv camping will be allowed as its almost in Vallecitos and they only allow day-time use there.

[Edited on 8-14-2012 by astrobaja]

\"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened\"

Douglas Adams

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2012 at 09:40 AM

What has happened to Los Manzanos, the mini RV park just outside the park boundary... by the water source spring the park uses (or used to use)?

They had hot showers, and camping... but that was 12 years ago when I stayed there one night.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

astrobaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2012 at 09:44 AM

David Los Manzanos has a huge big gate now, cause people kept coming and stealing pine nuts and left a mess garbage wise for the owners to pick up.
See we're not the only ones who had to put up gates:(

Just got an e-mail saying the museum will be closed until they find new staff to man the place

Douglas Adams

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2012 at 01:12 PM

Thanks for the update Mike... and bummer on the beautiful museum closed following the grand opening!

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2012 at 02:13 PM

That's amazing. After all the great work put into the museum and the highly publicized inauguration... sure hope they get it staffed and running soon.

Well, still lots to do in the park. The permitted campgrounds are all around the entrance. there are quite a few of them, some right off the highway and others a little more remote.

But they all have pretty decent "primitive" camping facilities, if not hookups. And when I was there the staff were pretty regularly cleaning up and hauling trash.

Unless you want to camp with dozens of families, church and scout groups and the like... avoid weekends. I arrived on a Friday evening and most sites were packed with tents and vans. By Sunday night I was virtually alone with four rangers!

My dog was tolerated because she is very quiet and well behaved... a larger, louder, less sociable dog would definitely be frowned upon.

Motorbikes are not allowed in the park.

There are so many places to disappear into the park... fantastic wilderness experience no matter how many folks are camping together.

And there are few better places in North America to see the night sky... would love to do a little telescope watching.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2012 at 02:52 PM

It is a very special place... I need to get Baja Angel up there... the closest she has been is when we drove to Mike's Sky Rancho using the Observatory road and out to San Felipe, back in 2005. They had just paved it to about Meling's that year. Previously, I was up at the observatory in 2000, 1984, 1978, and the first time with my folks, in 1972. Gotta love Baja!

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 8-14-2012 at 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
do they have any RV camping spots,

In the park it's no hookups and if you are thinking of taking a R.V. up it's a pretty good pull you go from sea level to about 96 hundred feet in around 50 miles. The road is a real good paved road with a lot of switchbacks, some are pretty tight + you have to slow down and when you come out of the turn you are looking at a hard pull. Having said that it's worth it after you get there.:yes::yes:
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 8-15-2012 at 06:31 AM

One more for the Bucket List.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.