Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Flying Panga
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 06:29 AM
Flying Panga

Flying my Panga Again

I’ve been corrected a time or two when talking about boats, pangas – pangas are wooden boats used in Mexico by fishermen. Many years ago somebody decided fiberglass makes better, stronger boats so that started a trend and today there are very few pangas in use. The fiberglass boats didn’t have a name so the Mexicans call them lanchas. So the pangas and pangeras are gone, replaced by lanchas and lancheras.

All that aside I donated mine to a local needy family; somebody stole their only boat and motor so they ended up with my boat/motor/trailer and now have a way to haul the thing back to the casa to protect it at night, haul it down to the shore to fish.

It was expected but not really talked out that the fisherman, Carlos, might show his appreciation by taking me fishing once in a while. At my age and condition I really can’t get out that much so I think Carlos was surprised when weeks, months went by without me suggesting an outing. Couple of weeks ago he showed up at my door and suggested we go out the next Saturday with his son Pedro because there were lots of dorado and a few tuna in the area.

It was the trip of dreams for me because for the first time since I bought the boat about 15 years ago I didn’t have to do any work – they did it all. Just that early dawn I realized what a marvelous thing had happened. They stopped at my gate and loaded my fishing gear and cooler in the boat, I followed them to the beach and after they launched, I stepped up and into my old workhorse for an easy day on the water.

I suppose it was a good day for them too because I bought the gas, brought lunch and pop and beer and lots of ice, shared the catch, mostly dorado, with them. We all took turns at the tiller while we rerigged, moved the fish around, cleaned up the deck and it felt wonderful to be back at the helm, at times almost flying above the waves, lifted up by the lightness of the day, climbing to match the jungle mountains that have come back to us since the rains.

With his dad at the helm and me waiting for the sound of the reel going off, Pedro, at times, would lean his tall young frame against the forward bench, spread his arms like great supple wings, palms open, mimicking the egrets and herons as they let the wind lift them aloft and I would share a grin with his dad at this antic display the freedom of the ride evoked.

That happy memory stayed with me and when we fished again yesterday I got to steer the boat home, got to relish father and son in the bow, hugging, roughhousing, enjoying each other and another day with this old gringo, another day without worry, another day with a nice catch of dorado.

I count the experience as no small thing and I know there were thousands of things that had to come together to put me in the position to enjoy all of this. What a wondrous chain of events has happened to allow the flow of the thing, the casual, yet important relationship that formed from such a simple and unholy thing as a theft in the night.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 06:39 AM

:)
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 06:58 AM
semon!!!

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 07:46 AM

Jorge is one of my true friends who talks the talk and walks the walk. He sent me an e-mail the day that he did this and he went up in my estimation as someone who had great thoughts but did not need to tell everyone about his gift in order to look good to those around him. Now, the purpose of the story is about what comes back to you when you reach out to others and how you find out about the things that really matter in life.
But also, the lucky recipient of his gift was a truly caring and worthwhile individual who in no small display of love, showed a glimmer of his thanks.
So they both came out as winners and Baja is a little better place to live and be.

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 08:07 AM

misfortune turned to fortune...que a toda madre amigo....para los dos! muy bien hecho.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2012 at 09:14 AM

It's great to be happy. It's even greater to know when you are happy.
luckyman
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 06:44 AM

well done.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 08:18 AM

Your wonderful story put me in mind of this. You gave once, you receive every time you think about your friend and his grandson. You gave and now we also receive the pleasure of this very human story. Sometimes the greatest recipient of our gifts is ourselves!

You often say, "I would give, but only to the deserving."
The trees in your orchard say not so, nor the flocks in your pastures.
They give that they may live, for to withhold is to perish.
Surely he who is worthy to receive his days and his nights,
is worthy of all else from you.

Kahlil Gibran
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 08:33 AM

What a story to relish, Jorge.

The tale has a much better life when what you gave to someone else, comes back ten-fold. ( I seem to have read that adage somewhere).

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 09:15 AM

Wonderful life can be. All we have is each other.

susanna
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 09:48 AM

That is a Beautiful Poem !
And yes it is better to give than to receive and you are reaping the benefits of giving.
baja09

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 01:09 PM
Flying Panga

Ditto to all the kind words, about the true feeling of baja!

A+P......... PILOT........Baja Sur Lover
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-9-2012 at 06:19 PM

You're a good man, Charlie Brown!

aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 9-10-2012 at 08:32 PM

Good man indeed and a great story teller.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.