Author: Subject: 2012 Baja 1000 Preliminary Map
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2012 at 11:30 AM
2012 Baja 1000 Preliminary Map

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2012 at 11:33 AM

A new section west of hwy 1 near Vizcaino was added.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-20-2012 at 11:51 AM

Thank you Tom! Please let us know as more details are available.

I am surprised at all the pavement they will have to run from Matomi wash to Gonzaga area (at least to Huerfanito where there is the older parallel roads south from there a ways).

Why didn't they get more creative in the north to stay off pavement... like run to Mike's Sky Rancho and down to San Quintin or use the mountain road and pop out by El Arenoso, east of El Rosario... then down to the 7 Sisters to Rosarito, then up to San Borja, L.A. Bay then on south... or cut back from the coast to Chapala and up to Cocos Corner, then south via Calamajue...?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2012 at 11:55 AM

about what time of day and what day would that put them in BOLA/Playa San Rafael...I'm trying to talk the wife into taking a few days off and leaving earlier for our Thanksgiving trip.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2012 at 12:04 PM

It is close to the route of the 2006 race were we were at El Crucero... which is 50 miles (1+ race hour) from Bahia de los Angeles.

The fastest motorcycle reached us about noon... and the fastest four wheel racers (Trophy Trucks, Class 1, etc.) arrived about 5:30, near sundown, as I remember... then all night long from then... most until about midnight/ 2 am when we went to sleep.

If they start the same in Ensenada, and they may start the Trucks an hour later, to keep a safer separation from the bikes, expect them at Pancho's turnoff starting about 7:30pm... it will be like the sun rising with all those HID and LED and HALOGEN lights blazing the night!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2012 at 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
It is close to the route of the 2006 race were we were at El Crucero... which is 50 miles (1+ race hour) from Bahia de los Angeles.

The fastest motorcycle reached us about noon... and the fastest four wheel racers (Trophy Trucks, Class 1, etc.) arrived about 5:30, near sundown, as I remember... then all night long from then... most until about midnight/ 2 am when we went to sleep.

If they start the same in Ensenada, and they may start the Trucks an hour later, to keep a safer separation from the bikes, expect them at Pancho's turnoff starting about 7:30pm... it will be like the sun rising with all those HID and LED and HALOGEN lights blazing the night!

Thanks DK-what day of the week? The Score site is not super friendly in my opinion.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2012 at 12:46 PM

found it...looks like on Thursday

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2012 at 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
found it...looks like on Thursday

Okay, I already copied the dates...

45th Tecate SCORE Baja 1000
Ensenada To La Paz
Baja Mexico Peninsula Run
November 14-17, 2012

fyi: 14th will be registration/ tech checkin; 15th the race begins (bikes first, one per 30 seconds)... then a 2 or 3 hour gap before the first four wheel racers begin, also 1 each 30 seconds... Off Road racing is man and machine against the elements for fastest time and not between each other, in each class. The racers have a limited number of hours to be considered a finisher... about 45 for this 1000, I would guess.

The length of this race means some will be coming into La Paz well into the 16th... and trophy presentation will be on the 17th.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2012 at 03:51 PM

Bikes start at 6:30am and Trophy Trucks expected start is 11:30am or 4 hours after the last bike/atv.

There is no summit and they will get on the hwy before the Goat Trail near Valle la Trinidad. A more detailed map at the Off Road Expo Oct 6&7.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2012 at 03:57 PM

So the extra hour start eats up the short cut making them still get to L.A. Bay about 6:30+ you think?

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2012 at 04:37 PM

I don't have the check point times from 2010 but in 2006 the fast cars and trucks were making it to LA Bay in 7.5 to 8 hours. So with an 11 am start they will get there between 6:30 and 7pm. Expect the bikes around 1:30 to 2pm. The bikes are probably a little faster than the Trophy Trucks in the top section and the cars are faster from BOLA south. Lots of high speed sections down there.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2012 at 04:46 PM

don't be shocked if what you see looks like an orange lightening bolt streaking across the desert, its just kurt caselli!:bounce:
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 9-20-2012 at 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Why didn't they get more creative in the north to stay off pavement... like run to Mike's Sky Rancho and down to San Quintin or use the mountain road and pop out by El Arenoso, east of El Rosario... then down to the 7 Sisters to Rosarito, then up to San Borja, L.A. Bay then on south... or cut back from the coast to Chapala and up to Cocos Corner, then south via Calamajue...?

Answer: TO GO EVEN FASTER!:light:

TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2012 at 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW

What's the source for your course map? I was hoping they might actually make some changes to avoid all the highway miles south of San Felipe. I was also hoping they would use the Constitution to San Evaristo to La Paz route for the finish.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2012 at 08:34 PM

Glad to see they're going back to San Juanico. I can't wait to see it this year for the first time.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2012 at 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TecateRay
Quote:
Originally posted by TW

What's the source for your course map? I was hoping they might actually make some changes to avoid all the highway miles south of San Felipe. I was also hoping they would use the Constitution to San Evaristo to La Paz route for the finish.

Yah, seriously! It's an Off Road race...

Oh, and Ken... it is to go fast on dirt roads... anyone can go fast on a paved road.

bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2012 at 11:43 AM

BOLA 2010 bikes were in between 1 and 2 as stated, trucks rolled in just after sunset but before dark. Whatever time that was. Too many Tecates to worry about the time by then.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2012 at 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TecateRay
Quote:
Originally posted by TW

The map is posted on the SCORE web site at
http://www.score-international.com/

The new section was told to me by one of the crew that will mark starting Oct 22.

[Edited on 9-21-2012 by TW]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2012 at 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bkbend
BOLA 2010 bikes were in between 1 and 2 as stated, trucks rolled in just after sunset but before dark. Whatever time that was. Too many Tecates to worry about the time by then.

You are right I mis-read the results. I thought it said 6:39pm but in fact it was 6hr 39min from the start putting them in BOLA Aat around 5:30pm in 2006.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2012 at 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:
Originally posted by bkbend

You are right I mis-read the results. I thought it said 6:39pm but in fact it was 6hr 39min from the start putting them in BOLA Aat around 5:30pm in 2006.

Tom.... put down that Tecate... the bikes started around 6:30 am, yes? So add 6hr 39 min and you are at 1:09pm, right? I was at El Crucero in '06 and the first guy (way ahead of the other bikes) zipped by about noon... the rest followed starting about an hour later then all afternoon.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.