Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trophy Truck vs Them
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2012 at 10:22 AM
Trophy Truck vs Them

Trophy Truck vs Ford Boss 302 vs Ford Raptor on pavement. Scowl down to video.

http://wot.motortrend.com/ford-mustang-boss-302-vs-baja-trop...
bkbend
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2012 at 11:41 AM

He probably didn't need to keep the spares on the truck. Drop a few pounds and gain a few hundredths.
Oggie
Nomad

Mood: Missing Baja

[*] posted on 9-29-2012 at 01:49 PM

Very Cool!

A man never stands as tall as when he kneels to help a child.
Knights of Pythagoras

Funny how falling feels like flying
for a little while - Bad Blake
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 9-29-2012 at 01:54 PM

Of course they still can't beat the motorcycles for overall time at the B1K.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2012 at 04:50 PM

Sorry but the winning Trophy Truck in the 2010 race beat the 1st bike by 20 minutes and 48 seconds. The long runs to La Paz or Cabo will probably never see another bike beat the Trophy Trucks again they're too small. In the tight twisty stuff the bikes are king but on the high speed sections a 450cc 4 stroke can't keep up.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2012 at 05:23 PM

TW, this isn't dakar where we're limited to 450cc. on a fast less technical course like the 2010 was look out for the big KTM 690's!
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 9-29-2012 at 05:36 PM

You're right, in 2010, the 850 hp truck did beat the 50 hp bike by 20 minutes. That was the only year that that happened in recent memory. Despite SCORE making the course more and more "truck" friendly, the bikes still beat them. The trucks are what bring in all the money. Lots of noise and dust, but not that much speed per HP.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 9-29-2012 at 06:22 PM

You tell 'em man! Don't forget that the guys standing up most of the way don't have anyone sitting along side telling them when to speed up, slow down and turn!

And it takes some stones to do that when the roll bars have a chin strap.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2012 at 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
TW, this isn't dakar where we're limited to 450cc. on a fast less technical course like the 2010 was look out for the big KTM 690's!

The bigger bikes can run with or faster than the TT but they don't have the riders to do it with. The Honda and Kawasaki teams are the fastest out there but on a 450 bike. The last big bike to La paz was in 2004 on a Honda 650 average speed 63 mph and 1st OA. KTM is a bigger bike but they have reliablity issues. I love the bikes, I'm a bike guy and have raced SCORE on bikes but I believe the 1000 to La Paz will have a TT as the OA winner. You would have to have some exceptional riders on a 450 to beat them and I don't think they are there now. Mike Childress and maybe Kendal Norman are the last ones. Robby Bell is very good but Hengevelt (sp) is getting too old to run at the speeds required. The fastest guy on a bike is probably Remirez out of Ensenada but crashes are an issue.

In addition the last several years a TT or class 1 had been the OA winner at the San Felipe 250 race. Even back in the early 90s the trucks were beating the big bikes at SF.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2012 at 09:41 PM

well we'll see come.thanksgiving:lol: but please don't bring up the reliability issue of the ktm's, the guys that took eleven straight dakar wins wont understand!:O
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2012 at 10:19 AM

Yes KTM has won Dakar, many times. I was referring to the SW desert and Baja. They have had some good riders on KTM in SCORE races but they always seem to have a problem. In Motocross it wasn't until Roger DeCoster took over and brought in Ryan Dungey did they start winning here in the US. I don't know what their issues are except when Tunaeater raced a KTM last year I think it was the SF250 race they broke a rear shock spring lower mount. In looking at how KTM designed it it seemed cheap, made out of aluminum. If that represents how the rest of the bike is designed I can see why they have reliability issues. Perhaps DeCoster has solved them. From what I've read the bike Dungey raced had a lot of changes to it. Maybe the Dakar KTM people have made the same type changes.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.