Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Parking problems in Loreto
fish101
Nomad

Mood: energized

exclamation.gif posted on 10-7-2012 at 01:41 PM
Parking problems in Loreto

On Monday, Oct 1st, 3 of my friends from Calif, parked their truck and boat trailer on the Malecon just north of the Navy Facility. Prior to parking their vehicle they had asked Pam Bowles and the API representative where they could park and were told that it was okay to park along the Malecon past the Navy Facility. Upon returning in the afternoon, both the truck and trailer had been towed to the Police yard. They were charged 100 dollars for illegal parking. The very next day the same area on the malecon had two vehicles with their trailers parked, however, both had Mexican plates on the vehicles. What do we need to do to bring this to the attention of the local city officials? These fishermen come to Loreto two different times a year and normally there are at least six of them with two different boats. On Oct 3rd they decided to go to Port Escondido, only to find out that they could not launch there as they did not have the proper documentation. Needless to say, they departed Loreto on Oct 4th, saying they would never return to fish here again. Is this just another "gringo tax" or can we do anything to stop the police from towing our vehicles?

[Edited on 10-7-2012 by fish101]
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 10-7-2012 at 02:10 PM

There is a sign on the Malecon right near the Navy post, but I thought it only applied to the area South of the sign. There is also a sign on Juarez just before Madero. Again I thougt it meant no parkng trailers West of the sign. We parked on Juarez and nothing happened, but now I'm concerned. If you can't park a trailer on either of these streets, where CAN you park?? This is not a good situation and the city needs to address it immediately. May be the Port Captian can be of some help????
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2012 at 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fish101
Needless to say, they departed Loreto on Oct 4th, saying they would never return to fish here again.
[Edited on 10-7-2012 by fish101]

I doubt that the Loreto Chamber of Commerce / Visitors Bureau gives two hoots about a few angry gringos not returning. You're not dealing with Nordstroms or Macys. Just saying, I hope they get a written letter of apology.

UNA MAS CERVEZA PORFAVOR, CON 5 TACOS DE TIBURON..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXKHaeBGsI
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2012 at 07:16 PM

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being towed here (or even getting a ticket)...so it's not a form of gringo taxation.
with all the work on the Malecon, the usual lax rules may not apply . my guess would be that they managed to park somewhere that blocked construction or access to same.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Bob and jane
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2012 at 07:20 PM
boat parking in loreto

We were informed a week ago by a local panguero that boat trailer parking was now only being allowed on Agua Dulce, the east/west street between Juarez and the port captain's street. Even the local pangueros are required to park there now. This was confirmed by officials at the darcena. I notice that some trailers are being parked along the street running east/west along the old La Pinta. At some point, when the fishing improves, Agua Dulce will be maxed out. I don't know what will happen then. It IS frustrating, but those are the current rules. Pays to follow them. My advice--get there early to find a parking place. But not earlier than us :-)
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 10-8-2012 at 07:24 AM

That is pretty unacceptable. Last year there is the "Ramp Tax" and now there is nowhere to park a trailer. Not sure who they remodeled the Malecon for, but it was not for the boaters and fishermen. You can't have a town that depends on boaters and fishermen for income and then make it that unfriendly.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-8-2012 at 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ncampion
You can't have a town that depends on boaters and fishermen for income and then make it that unfriendly.

That's gringo thinking, doesn't apply in Mexico.:biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
CJ
Nomad

Mood: It's cool with me

[*] posted on 10-8-2012 at 08:21 AM
Trailer parking

Just go down and talk to Arturo's Sportfishing rent their boats and leave your's HOME........that's what they want you to do. Bienvenido a Loreto.
:light::fire::
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2012 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rhintransit
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being towed here (or even getting a ticket)...so it's not a form of gringo taxation.
with all the work on the Malecon, the usual lax rules may not apply . my guess would be that they managed to park somewhere that blocked construction or access to same.

Your guess is wrong....
The area north of the Marine base has always been open to parking of trucks and boat trailers and at that time, was not, nor has it been recently, closed for construction.

The curb area south of the Marine base yes....but NOT north of it.
There is a no trailer parking sign at the corner of Anastacio Carrillo and the malecon street but none farther north.

As of today, October 8th, the northern street (La Pinta side) that connects to the malecon is closed for repairs....yet not a sole around?

As of right this minute, the only parking area for boat trailers and tow vehicles is on Agua Dulce

To unilateraly tow a vehicle for parking in this "gray" area, where no signs are visible is a pure money grab.

A note on the windshield with a warning would be enough to twart future violations. To tow a truck and trailer away to the polica yard?...no way!!

Local gringo residents are still stinging from the ramp tax and now along comes the tow truck!!!!
Now were faced with parking on a dirt road (Agua Dulce) that has a history of truck breakins, vandalism and thefts.
Not to mention the big loads of sand and gravel in the roadway taking up space on that road, nearer the malecon.

If your not a local boat owner and fishermen, I guess it's no big deal to you or anyone else....but those of us who use that ramp and need to park a tow vehicle and trailer..it is a HUGE deal.

We lost the roadway by the Port Capitan, the north end of the malecon, just south of Coco Loco on the malecon and inside the ramp area itself.

No more tow trucks please!!

[Edited on 10-8-2012 by DaliDali]
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2012 at 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Quote:
Originally posted by ncampion
You can't have a town that depends on boaters and fishermen for income and then make it that unfriendly.

That's gringo thinking, doesn't apply in Mexico.:biggrin::biggrin:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

UNA MAS CERVEZA PORFAVOR, CON 5 TACOS DE TIBURON..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXKHaeBGsI
Lengua
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2012 at 04:04 PM

That is exactly why I am done with Loreto.Ramp tax ? Crazy!!!!!!okay ,How about a wash down area, fish cleaning station , Palapa with misters and cold beer .

Loreto you are shooting yourself in the foot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Magico status or not , you're going and have for the most part fall off the Radar for fisherman and tourist alike. It only takes one person to tell ten people how bad or asinine the situation is there .
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2012 at 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lengua
That is exactly why I am done with Loreto.Ramp tax ? Crazy!!!!!!

Is that in addition to a ramp fee?
CJ
Nomad

Mood: It's cool with me

[*] posted on 10-8-2012 at 04:31 PM
Parking

Well said Lengua you are right on. We've been here long enough to get used to the ups and downs......but lately it's been down more than up. :(
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2012 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CJ
Well said Lengua you are right on. We've been here long enough to get used to the ups and downs......but lately it's been down more than up. :(

Hey CJ.....I'll ask you. Is the ramp tax in addition to a ramp fee, and how much are they?
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2012 at 05:15 PM

Its possible to respond to the towing in front of a transit judge and present photos and the specifics to the case in order to show there was signage nor notice of no parking with trailer to get a clear determination on the legality. You could also take photos and make a case to file a denuncia against the police officer in question or send them to TV Azteca and Colectivo Perico or other news organizations. Certainly the fellow that towed is betting you won't but if you did if could likely be settled in your favor with sufficient evidence and witnesses. It's important to call attention to these types of things and name names and places and show photos or video of the circumstances to draw attention. Is there a transit judge to go to like in La Paz? We've won parking infraction cases there with photos and simply making a clear case that the cop was unfair. Be diligent, polite and persistent when dealing with these issues and you will win.
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-8-2012 at 05:44 PM

Dennis, when I was there a few months ago, there was a ramp use fee, though I cannot remember how much. . . ten or twelve dollars is my best guess. I'm also guessing that ncampion's "ramp tax" is referring to that ramp use fee.

I didn't mind paying the fee, but he does have a point though, in that the ramp and harbor do not have even a fish cleaning station, which is an issue given the new Mexican rule that fish cannot be filleted at sea.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2012 at 06:02 PM

10 dollar ramp fee doesn't seem to be too bad and should include parking... but to require a palapa with misters?????? Is the long term plan to include parking once the construction is done?
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-8-2012 at 06:08 PM
Fight Back!!!!

From a post by Baja Blanca on 2-29-12:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=58572

Secretary Of Tourism Reaches Out To English Speakers

The Secretary of Tourism in Baja California Sur has started their English Facebook page with everything that one needs to know about this beautiful state.

The page has all kinds of helpful and great information on upcoming events, different attractions around the state and much more.

Don’t hesitate, and take a look. Let’s help support our state by liking their Facebook page. You can also follow them on Twitter.Facebook- www.facebook.com/pages/Visit-Baja-Sur/181690668576377

Twitter- Visit Baja Sur

Thank you so much. Secretary of Tourism, La Paz BCS - Olivia Brower, 612-117-8349

And from a post by DavidK on 3-1-12

http://www.facebook.com/VisitBajaSur

If you don't make some noise, nothing will get fixed.......the parking, ramp fees, cleaning stations..........I'm sure the government fathers of Loreto don't like bad publicity.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2012 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBruno
Dennis, when I was there a few months ago, there was a ramp use fee, though I cannot remember how much. . . ten or twelve dollars is my best guess. I'm also guessing that ncampion's "ramp tax" is referring to that ramp use fee.

well....that price seems reasonable from what I've heard of prices here in Ensenada, but I'm just an observor.
Is that "in and out?"
Thanks, Bruno.
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-8-2012 at 07:56 PM

Dennis, that is "in & out." Several years ago I was launching at Acapulco and the rate was $100 each way, at the cheap launch ramp, which also had no services. It made more sense to leave the boat at the dock, which I did. So, I don't complain about the Loreto fees.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.