Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Bajadock Southbound
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2012 at 07:51 AM
Bajadock Southbound

My second-ever drive south down the Baja peninsula begins this week. Will have 2 weeks to soak up as much adventure as possible during the 2,000+ mile drive.

The red highlighted cities on the map are planned stops.

Any suggestions on who, what, where, when, how on MUST SEEs, restaurants, rooms, etc. throughout Baja welcomed. Last/only trip to Baja Sur was Sept 2006 on my real estate search after selling my Denver home.

I won’t be taking my POS Jeep. The Pontiac VIBrator, gets the job, due to comfort and fuel economy. That will keep me on the paved and ez gravel/dirt side roads, no 4WD.

Hoping that electricity, roads and other infrastructure damages from Hurricane Paul are improving for the Baja Sur residents that are suffering.

[img]http://bajadock.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/extfrtpass.jpg?w=300&h=225[/img]
So watch out for a blue Vibe with SoDakota plates along hwy 1 Oct 25 – Nov 6.

Hope to meet new friends and old pen pals on the adventure.

[Edited on 10-21-2012 by bajadock]

bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 10-21-2012 at 07:58 AM

My only suggestion is have a good trip!!

bacquito
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-21-2012 at 08:14 AM

woo hoo...finally we get to meet face to face Doc...Izaak has a treat waiting for you! buen viaje amigo

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2012 at 08:18 AM

I have some suggestions:

1.stop by Campo Rene and have lunch in the lagoon restaurant. The bird watching is fantastic, the food delicious and inexpensive. If you want, stay in a cabin for a day (but they are very rustic).

2. After lunch, swing by Punta Abreojos and checkout the famous sur beach with it's wide arching beach. Their malecon is worth a walk and the restaurant in the middle of the malecon is excellent too (Juanita's).

3. Stop by our house in La Bocana to say hi - we are the last white house on Calle Erizo, after the B&B sign, keep on heading north. Look for the huge porch in front and you will have found us. We invite you for a coffee or beer, depending on the time ! If you can let me know ahead of time what day specifically, consider yourself invited to lunch with us!

Total time from main road to Campo Rene is 45 minutes. Total time from Campo Rene to Punta Abreojos is 20 min. Total time from Abreojos to La Bocana is 20 minutes.

Have a wonderful trip !
san ignacio and visit with Juanita and see her museum, free of charge. She has a lot of interesting

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2012 at 08:20 AM

SHARI...Cute bugger!

Your specialty grocery order is already packed. Very much looking forward to meeting you and Juan and relaxing with the waves.

If I have been on vacation for 6 years in Baja, does this really count as a vacation? YESSSSSS!!!

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-21-2012 at 08:38 AM
baja dock

Hola, been in baja all my adult life (winters) and 2 wheel drive works just fine !!!! and if that vib is front wheel drive all the better !! have a good,safe,fun trip !! K&T:cool:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2012 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock
I won’t be taking my POS Jeep. The Pontiac VIBrator, gets the job, due to comfort and fuel economy.

I didn't know Pontiac made those things. :o
Have a good trip, Doc, and say hello to everyone for me.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-21-2012 at 10:02 AM

Hey, Doc!

If you are looking for a place to stay in Cabo, Hotel Mar De Cortez is inexpensive and only 1/2 block from the marina and steps away from Cabo Wabo. Quiet, secure parking.
Todos Santos...Hotel California...you can't beat it's historic and rustic roots. A little pricey, and the margaritas are better across the street. Both places they literally make them from scratch!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2012 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
SHARI...Cute bugger!

Your specialty grocery order is already packed. Very much looking forward to meeting you and Juan and relaxing with the waves.

If I have been on vacation for 6 years in Baja, does this really count as a vacation? YESSSSSS!!!

Make that one cute bugger holding a bugger!!
Small cars are great for avoiding trucks, potholes, animals, drunks and they stay between the lines easily. Plus you can really rack up some kilometers quickly! Good luck, have a great trip!!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2012 at 12:11 PM
driving Fast !!

they stay between the lines easily. Plus you can really rack up some kilometers quickly!...... Hola, My self wished they would put back up the 2 or 3 signs that read " this hwy was made for enconomic purpoises and not high speed driving "" sorta says it all !! and they have radar .. (now!) Have safe trip... dont become a statistic...... K&T:cool: ps. a few years back only gringos had cars that could run 70 kph all day...Boy has that changed !!! and no road worker fire cans !! and you dont hardly see a cow on the road anymore !! thank god !!
nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2012 at 12:59 PM

Drive safe, have fun! Nancy
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 10-22-2012 at 01:27 PM

Have a great trip! Take lots of pictures!

bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2012 at 07:40 AM

Thanks, all for suggestions, emails. EZ packing today with priority on camera, cooler and music.

Any suggestions for an overnight in the Loreto, San Carlos, La Paz stretch?

The Vibe is a Toyota Matrix dressed in GMC drag. Yes, Dennis, chicks dig it. Picking up my female navigator at SD airport tomorrow/Wednesday before we head south.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2012 at 08:32 AM

Quote:
, chicks dig it.

Yipes.....I just went backwards through a time warp. :lol:

[Edited on 10-23-2012 by DENNIS]
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 10-23-2012 at 08:40 AM

...and just remember that when that tractor trailer in front of you puts on his left turn signal indicating that it's for you to pass, don't believe him!

Bob Durrell
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2012 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
...and just remember that when that tractor trailer in front of you puts on his left turn signal indicating that it's for you to pass, don't believe him!

That trick is number one in the "Gringo Hater's Bible." :lol:
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2012 at 08:50 AM
HUH !!

HOLA, being my claim to fame is driving..I'm myself have never had T/T give me a false sign in baja !! and I'm talking some miles and years !!! a lot of gringos dont stop and think that sometimes they might really be turning left onto that lil road on the left,,pay attention .............K&T:cool:
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2012 at 09:10 AM

Loreto option..
We are still cleaning up the beaches from Paul...
The La Mision Hotel is a great location on the Malacon, and easy walk to the town square and resturants.. Great week to come down, as the 315 year celabration is going on until the 25th each night in the mission square..
If you decide on the La Mision..ask for the "Baja Sur rate", with includes breakfest over looking the Coretz and the islands off Loreto..
Happy Trails..

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 09:29 AM
Tapanco

Day one of our Cabo San Lucas adventure did not get us as far south as we hoped. Long story and not important. But, we exchanged our short travel evening for a first visit to Tapanco Restaurante on the south end of Rosarito Beach. KM 31.5

Upon entry, the low lighting, woodwork and rustic appointments seem to hint that you have been here before. Tapanco is owned by the same family as the iconic El Nido Restaurante.

Mel from Jalisco was our server and he explained the complimentary table side custom salsa, the fish special and the rest of the extensive menu.

We brought along our own bottle of Rodney Strong Chardonnay, as seafood was on our mind. I didn’t notice it on the modest bill, but, if they charged us a corkage fee, it was minimal.

A delicious pico de gallo was served with chips. A few minutes later, a young man came by with his salsa cart. You get to order the ingredients made in the mocajete tableside. The roasted peppers made this salsa unique. At my guest’s request they oiled a pan and toasted some chips for a fresher, warmer flavor. We would have been satisfied with the two salsas and our chardonnay for a wonderful evening.

Next up was the on-table salad bar. Mel served a 30″ round lazy susan of fresh veggies and dressing for our salad. He also provided two special dressings. One was a basil & olive oil and the other was tequila, peppers and o.o. We were full after that fun, fresh salad.

But, we wanted more. She ordered the halibut al vapor. Veggies, peppers and a heaping dose of garlic were wrapped with the fish in a foil and baked. When Mel opened up the foil, the aromas made me wish I had ordered that dish.

I ordered the camaron enchiladas with salsa verde. I think this is the first time I have ever ordered this dish anywhere. The flavors and textures were outstanding. Because, I did not get a workout in today, I passed on the rice and beans included in the dish.

Total, including a couple of Bohemias, tax and tip was less than $50.

We also asked the meaning of “Tapanco”. The translation is “attic”. Only disappointment was that the 2nd floor “attic” isn’t open, as it must have a nice view of the Pacific.

My rating: FOUR out of five molcajetes, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! The servings are large and the freshness and tastes are better than my memories of my 3 visits to El Nido. Will be back again to Tapanco to try more of the menu. Ask for "Mel Gibson" to serve you.
More Tapanco Photos and Map

[Edited on 10-25-2012 by bajadock]

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2012 at 09:35 AM

Quote:

Just noticed you can see where I live in this shot.....just above the port side, rear corner of the luggage rack.
I know you know this, Doc, but I couldn't resist the hijack opportunity.
Vaya con Díos, Doc. Stay in touch.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.