Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Whalshark Caught in Gill Net in Front of Alfonsinas
BajaWaverunner
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 05:44 PM
Whalshark Caught in Gill Net in Front of Alfonsinas

I have been coming down to Gonzaga Bay about 5 times a year for many years and I'm always amazed by the amount of marine life I see when I'm there. This place is an ablsolute marine life paradise. I have seen sea turtles, manta rey doing back flips and humpback whales swimming so close to shore you can literally wade into the water while holding a pacifico and touch them as they go by. The whalesharks are especially amazing - I see them there year round. But this last Sunday I was horrified to find that panga fishermen had accidentaly snared a whaleshark right in front of the hotel with their gill nets. The fishermen dragged the snared shark over to the narrow sand spit just past the hotel and left the shark to die there for 5 hours before guests at the hotel noticed. A group of us started trying to free the shark while the 8 fishermen taunted us, cursed at us, and laughed at us. After an hour we were able to free the exhausted shark - and it slowly swam away. Hopefully it lived.

I have never been so peeed. It is illegal for these fisherman to put gill nets in the bay but they do it anyway because they pay off the local fish and game people. The folks at Alfonsinas say they have tried to speak to the government to enforce the regulations but it does no good.

These fishemen are an absolute disgrace and need to be stopped. This place ia a paradise and it is being destroyed in front of our eyes and nobody seems to be doing anything about it. I have phots but no idea how to load them here.
bajario
Nomad

thumbdown.gif posted on 11-6-2012 at 07:11 PM

One whale shark may not be destroying his paradise but it sure as hell doesn't make it better.

What good can come out of killing this creature? It won't get stuck in there net? The net that was placed in an area that it was supposedly illegal to throw a net?

I'm with waverunner on this, and I would of been peeed too.:mad:
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 07:18 PM
panga boys

There is IMO a BIG difference between haveing a boat and killing fish without thought or concern .. that is not a fisherman in my eyes !!!! and should not be addressed as such!!!!............and for you folks that dont know a whale shark is BIG and very nice looking unit !!! and very passive !! K&T
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 07:36 PM

For what it's worth, I shared your post on Tiburon Ballena's facebook page. I'd love to see photos, and thank you for saving that animal, for being human.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
For what it's worth, I shared your post on Tiburon Ballena's facebook page. I'd love to see photos, and thank you for saving that animal, for being human.

P>*)))>{

very nice,, the fisherman in this instant was very irresponsible and lacked any and all compassion for the beautiful creature,
I also had a very close encounter with one when divng off of La Paz in an area that they call the " Sea Mounts "
fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 08:25 PM

Wave runner, I hope while saving the shark you cut the net into shreds!!!

sbwontoo
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fandango
Wave runner, I hope while saving the shark you cut the net into shreds!!!

I hope so too!!!!! :fire:
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 09:15 PM

Got a response right away! If you could post some photos, it might be helpful to them.

"Thanks Paulina for the heads up , we will be at Gonzaga bay friday , hopefully will be able to get some data before they chase them away or worse ."

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 10:41 PM
Thanks paulina

If you ever get a veiw of this (biggest knowned) fish it is truely life changing !!..................nothing should die for lack of .....and I use the word loosly mankind !!! as a FISHERMAN we do not waste the resource..and as U age you see the deplentage of stocks and size/weight.......going down

[Edited on 11-7-2012 by captkw]

[Edited on 11-7-2012 by captkw]
fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWaverunner
while the 8 fishermen taunted us, cursed at us, and laughed at us. Hopefully it lived.

These fishemen are an absolute disgrace and need to be stopped. This place ia a paradise and it is being destroyed in front of our eyes and nobody seems to be doing anything about it. I have phots but no idea how to load them here.

Do you have photos of any of the 8 fishermen and/or their boat name? Pass that along and Paulina can then pass it along.

sbwontoo
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 10:53 PM

Quote:
I have been coming down to Gonzaga Bay about 5 times a year for many years and I'm always amazed by the amount of marine life I see when I'm there. This place is an ablsolute marine life paradise. I have seen sea turtles, manta rey doing back flips and humpback whales swimming so close to shore you can literally wade into the water while holding a pacifico and touch them as they go by. The whalesharks are especially amazing - I see them there year round. But this last Sunday I was horrified to find that panga fishermen had accidentaly snared a whaleshark right in front of the hotel with their gill nets. The fishermen dragged the snared shark over to the narrow sand spit just past the hotel and left the shark to die there for 5 hours before guests at the hotel noticed. A group of us started trying to free the shark while the 8 fishermen taunted us, cursed at us, and laughed at us. After an hour we were able to free the exhausted shark - and it slowly swam away. Hopefully it lived.

I have never been so peeed. It is illegal for these fisherman to put gill nets in the bay but they do it anyway because they pay off the local fish and game people. The folks at Alfonsinas say they have tried to speak to the government to enforce the regulations but it does no good.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2012 at 10:58 PM
Sure

I have only seen two...but the Gods did a good job on this Model.............
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2012 at 01:36 AM

Good for you Waverunner. I was fishing in Gonzaga Bay last month and the gill netters just dont seem to care any more where they set up shop...right in the mouth of the bays. We would come across lines of dead fish in the scum lines and I can only assume it was their by catch. You can say they need to make a living...blah blah...you can say it is just the way it is...blah blah...but it is marooonIC to think it can last. To me it is the final curse of the new road in that they can now get their catch to San Felipe or Mexicali quickly. And what were they catching? Sierra. And what a glorious shelf life those fish have... It is just sickening.
BajaWaverunner
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2012 at 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
don't kid yourself, pesca has a huge presence in gonzaga bay, and commercial fishermen are scrutinized like never before.
and one whaleshark isnt destroying your paradise!:rolleyes:

I've been watching this site long enough to know I'd get at least one retarded response like this. The fact of the matter is that there are 6 agents based out of SF who are supposed to monitor this but they are all on the take - paid off by the panga owners to look away. It is pointless to call their office and make a report. Ive been making some calls to ensendada and they seem interested but we'll see. Many of the gill netters are from Sonora-crossing the gulf just for the Sierra that are in the bay this time of year. You'll notice right now there are about 4 times the number of pangas normally seen in the bay. You can see them camped all over the place. They are not even from the area and so especially don't give a crap.

I motored out of the bay and ran over no less than 3 gill nets in 5 minutes so it's pretty obvious that the situation is not being "scrutinized like never before". With that many nets in the bay, My guess is that there will be no more sharks left in the bay in 5 years. What a f'ing disgrace.

I have a few photos. Someone give me an email address and I'll send them for upload. Other hotel guests took video which I should have in a day or two.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-7-2012 at 06:25 AM

you can file a denuncia at this link and fisheries is legally bound to respond within 72 hours. It has worked before and is a good idea to file the complaint...even if it doesnt get results...keep a copy of the complaint on file for future pesca officials who arent corrupt...it cant hurt.

http://sidepi.conapesca.gob.mx:8080/PescaIlegal.jsp

click on the yellow hat...get someone who speaks spanish to help you.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-7-2012 at 06:41 AM

Quote:
Someone give me an email address and I'll send them for upload.

bajanomad@escapist.com

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2012 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
you can file a denuncia at this link and fisheries is legally bound to respond within 72 hours. It has worked before and is a good idea to file the complaint...even if it doesnt get results...keep a copy of the complaint on file for future pesca officials who arent corrupt...it cant hurt.

http://sidepi.conapesca.gob.mx:8080/PescaIlegal.jsp

click on the yellow hat...get someone who speaks spanish to help you.

You should push this to the limit. Maybe we'll get a straight official that can help. These fish are magnificent, and so peaceful, they must be protected. The first one I ever saw swam under the boat as we were in shallow, jigging bait. It was so big that I thought the bottom was moving at first glance. Wow. That's a Baja memory I'll never forget. He or she was much bigger than the panga we were fishing on. :coolup:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-7-2012 at 12:29 PM

Quote:
Someone give me an email address and I'll send them for upload.

Here's what I received:

whaleshark-in-net.jpg - 49kB

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2012 at 01:11 PM
Good on ya mates !!

and I hope you had a big bonfire and tossed the net on top !!! that whale is still swearing to his/her buddys thats some aliens saved him from a net !!!:lol: K&T:cool:
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-7-2012 at 02:46 PM

So the whale shark was cut free of the gill nets and ......?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.