Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Road Closure between Gonzaga and San Felipe
Maitairoa

smile.gif posted on 11-9-2012 at 03:38 AM
Road Closure between Gonzaga and San Felipe

When will the road between Gonzaga and San Felipe be closed for the upcoming Baja 1000?
beachbum1A
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2012 at 07:22 AM

I don't think it will be closed. I mean it's a public road and must be shared with the race entries and the public - right?
cocojoe969

[*] posted on 11-9-2012 at 08:49 AM

Yes the road will be open during the race, if you must travel down the road on thursday the 15th be careful especially at night. The race will be getting on the pavement just north of Puertecitos and going all the way to Coco's
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2012 at 08:54 AM

It's open to all .... Jump in the fray don't be scared...I've run that section in my lil' 99 dodge Ram Cummins about 30 times in the past 3 weeks both north and south ... I've seen semi tractor trailers, soccer mom SUV's, prerunners and chase trucks and even a girl on a VESPA scooter! No kidding! However look for the massive undercut holes that are 8 foot deep on the side of the road created from the last storm..they are unmarked and will end your week real quickly.

I returned last night via that route...

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-9-2012 at 09:04 AM

Good up to date report from Desert Bull...

The race course is not on Hwy. 5 until about 35+ miles south of San Felipe... just south of El Coloradito where the original Puertecitos road meets the paved road. Then, you and the race course are pretty much the same road (although they could use some of the older route south of El Huerfanito for a few miles)... At Coco's Corner, 21+ miles south of the Gonzaga Pemex, the race course leaves the Hwy. 5 road and heads for Calamajué Canyon and Bahia de los Angeles.

Even while they do use some of the paved roads in Baja, they have a speed limit imposed as they all have GPS tracking that monitors vehicle speed... so it isn't crazy like the good old days!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Maitairoa

[*] posted on 11-9-2012 at 09:07 AM

Thanks for replies.

Road condition didn't worry me, just the possible road closure. We have been on lot worse roads/trails in Baja than that one.

Alex
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2012 at 09:14 AM

Well, the race is on Nov. 15 to the 16th... and that area is about 200 miles from the start, so all race traffic will be on the 15th... only postponing your drive one day. What you would want to avoid isn't so much the racers, but the spectators and support crews. San Felipe is nearly impossible to get through during their 250 race in March... The 1000 stays on the outskirts of town, but there still will be a mess just getting through there on race day.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

brewer
Nomad

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 11-9-2012 at 09:44 PM

Between where and where are the undercuts? Heading down the 17th.I,m sure by then they will have been exposed. Just want to know what area you're talking about. I have a little '97 Dodge Ram Cummins.
Quote:
Originally posted by Desertbull
It's open to all .... Jump in the fray don't be scared...I've run that section in my lil' 99 dodge Ram Cummins about 30 times in the past 3 weeks both north and south ... I've seen semi tractor trailers, soccer mom SUV's, prerunners and chase trucks and even a girl on a VESPA scooter! No kidding! However look for the massive undercut holes that are 8 foot deep on the side of the road created from the last storm..they are unmarked and will end your week real quickly.

I returned last night via that route...

[Edited on 11-10-2012 by brewer]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2012 at 01:53 PM

Until Tim gets back on, I will volunteer that he is talking about the road between Gonzaga and Chapala... perhaps the mountain you go over between Coco's and Chapala.

brewer
Nomad

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 11-10-2012 at 10:17 PM

As far as anyone knows, is the road still passable?
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2012 at 10:33 PM

Yes the road is passable, easily, however their are some very big unmarked holes that will swallow a medium size car. The are located on the side of the road...just pay attention to avoid these big holes.

bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 11-11-2012 at 08:09 AM
Where are the holes?

Where, exactly, are the "massive 8 foot holes" in the side of the road that will "swallow a car?"

The road we are talking about here is about 100 miles long. Knowing there are holes in it somewhere is kinda like knowing there is a great white shark somewhere in the ocean.

BB
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2012 at 08:53 AM

If I gave you GPS coordinates you'd complain you don't have a GPS, if I posted photos you'd complain that you don't cant tell where it is, if I gave you the Google Earth file you'd tell me you can't navigate Google Earth....

And yes guess what...great white sharks are in the ocean.

Between Coco's and Chapala Hwy 1 several on both sides of the road...if u encounter oncoming traffic and you keep driving on the road edge you may disappear into one of these drop offs ... I helped a Mexican race team that put there Ford F150 into one of the holes and the only thing you could see was from the rear end housing back...:o

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2012 at 09:22 AM

Glad DB confirmed what I suspected... I was last on the road there in July, and even before the newest washouts, it is a road you can't take your eyes off... even if to put your tires over the smallest rocks vs. the rest!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2012 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bonanza bucko
Where, exactly, are the "massive 8 foot holes" in the side of the road that will "swallow a car?"

The road we are talking about here is about 100 miles long. Knowing there are holes in it somewhere is kinda like knowing there is a great white shark somewhere in the ocean.

BB

It is 13 miles from Coco's Corner to Hwy. 1 (Laguna Chapala). Don't drive any road with your eyes closed! We don't need more drama on Nomad or any Nomads in the hole!:light:;D

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2012 at 01:03 PM

It appears that the race crosses the road to Tortugas and we will be headed that way on Thursday --- I assume they don't close the main road? Never been to one of these and don't know how they handle road crossings.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2012 at 01:09 PM

No roads are closed. If there isn't traffic control at a crossing then stop and look and listen for motorcycles and automobile sounds.

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 08:25 AM

That part of the road past Coco's is really not that bad. My grandma could drive it and feel safe. Many times we drove it at night too. There are indeed a few areas of deep cliffs that you dont want to visit via flight (!).......but is a very nice drive. Drive slow and enjoy the fantastic views.

I'd be more concerned about leaving Baja after the races.....those lines can be a 8 foot deep hole too :-(

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by bonanza bucko

BB

It is 13 miles from Coco's Corner to Hwy. 1 (Laguna Chapala). Don't drive any road with your eyes closed! We don't need more drama on Nomad or any Nomads in the hole!:light:;D

[Edited on 11-12-2012 by mcfez]

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Humboldt Chris and Robin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 10:25 AM

That section between Coco's and Chapalla is as bad as I've seen it but easy enough if you go slow. we were through there about 3 weeks ago. It is just rocky with some exposed bedrock tire slicers, a few roadside slipouts, but it is nothing a careful driver couldn't do. Of course, I would hate to be going up the grade as fifteen racers came flying down it!!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2012 at 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Humboldt Chris and Robin
That section between Coco's and Chapalla is as bad as I've seen it but easy enough if you go slow. we were through there about 3 weeks ago. It is just rocky with some exposed bedrock tire slicers, a few roadside slipouts, but it is nothing a careful driver couldn't do. Of course, I would hate to be going up the grade as fifteen racers came flying down it!!

Agree! It is not a 4WD needed road, just rough surface so go slow. It is the worst I had seen it, last July... and I have been over it many times since it was built around 1982.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.