Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: SECONDARY TODAY
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 06:00 PM
SECONDARY TODAY

Just got back from my weekly trip to San Diego this morning. The Sentri line was great, as usual, however I got sent into secondary for the dreaded inspection. It was just me and my 80 year old mother and it was early and really didn't have much to do in SD so it was no problem.

Went through the x-ray scanner then was sent to the line where a really nice guard took our Sentri passes and told us to wait. He returned about 15 minutes later and told me that he had bad news. Anytime an agent tells you there is bad news you have to cringe but I knew everything was good in that I have not had a traffic ticket in over 30 years, I am not a felon, I have never done drugs in my life and all registration and insurance was paid up. He said the bad news was that they were ordered to completely go over my car. He asked me and mom to step out and said that the dog was going to search and that they were going to do a scope inspection. I pointed to my rear end and had that questioned look on my face and he laughed and said they don't go that far. I told him to do whatever he had to do.

The dog was brought over and the mooch roamed around the car in the front and back then jumped into the trunk. For whatever reason they were really interested in the gas tank and were proding and hitting the tank from underneath and checking the bolts carefully while I was talking to the first nice guy that intially received us. What he said was that the supervisor apparently did the computer search and found that I travel all over the world to various countries and in the last ten years I have been to South America 63 different times. I told the guy what I did for work and he then understood and left for about ten minutes leaving the dog and the other inspector in the trunk of my car. During this ten minutes the inspector placed a long plastic small tube into my gas tank and was looking through a lens searching what was in the tank. This was the first time this was ever done to my car. I was impressed.

When the nice guy returned he brought along his supervisor who introduced himself and we chatted what I did for work and he asked many questions about my travels. He specifically asked about my recent trip to Jordan, Dubai, and Kyrgyzstan. After I explained why I was there they both said they were in the wrong line of work and asked if there were any openings in my field.

What was most interesting was when I asked these guys about how much drugs they confiscate. I was told that the most drugs they confiscate is mota and several hundred pounds are found every week. They are completely disgusted with the leagal system however. Because so many are caught at the border and the jails are filled most of these trafficers serve about one day of jail time for every pound seized. On several occasions after an arrest is made the subject is taken to jail and immediately released on a small bond and of course never appear for their court hearing.

The nice custom agent at the end of this 1 hour ordeal told me that he arrived at work at 8 that morning and must work until midnight due to several agents taking vacation. He said that he does get overtime however after taxes it all works out about the same as working a regular eight hour shift. He said that is probably the reason a lot of agents have an attitude....We shook hands and i told him to be positive and don't get stressed. I really enjoyed this time in secondary and would really not want to be a customs agent!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 06:05 PM

Interesting... thanks for the report...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 06:08 PM

Now there my friends you have a half full glass!:biggrin:

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 06:21 PM

i guess we're all in the wrong line of work. 1 day per pound of mota? jeez!

almost sound worth it....:barf:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 06:31 PM

You're lucky they didn't check out last night's dinner. :o
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 06:59 PM

You won't be that impressed about the tube until it goes up a part of your body!
It's called a colonoscopy!
Be thankful they did not offer some temporary sedatives when showing you the tube!

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
. During this ten minutes the inspector placed a long plastic small tube into my gas tank and was looking through a lens searching what was in the tank. This was the first time this was ever done to my car. I was impressed.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 07:04 PM

The Homeland Security computer knows all. Travel to foreign countries is considered un-American (unless your last name is Obama).

Bob Durrell
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 07:07 PM

That is the best of all travel tips, Bob!

It is best to travel with either the Prez or Mrs. Clinton.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 11:15 AM

Way to go guys...take a nice informative report and turn it into a political rant.
Got over it, Obama won, Romney lost..it's over

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 11:30 AM

I was hoping for more colonoscopy jokes myself. Just had my first one. Not a virgin anymore.

:o:o

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
bigmike
Nomad

Mood: Loving Life

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 05:03 PM

Hey Dan,

Do you think you got pulled into secondary because of the dangerous looking woman you had in the car???

LOL

Have a Great Thanksgiving.

Mike

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.