Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Highway Stupids at the B1K
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 11:47 AM
Highway Stupids at the B1K

Posted on RDC:

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php/108280-Congr...

chase truck etiquette $$ Driving highway 1 safely.

While running from el Crucero to the road crossing at Visciano, I had such a wonderful experience with a chase truck I figures I should share. We were cruising along on highway one with all the local traffic and chase trucks, on the first eve of the Baja 1000, everyone driving as they should in a safe and courteous fashion when in the distance from far behind the sun like glow of HID and Led lights comes blasting across my rear view mirror. It takes a few minutes for the sun like lights catch up us to us as this A$$hat has to pass numbers of cars and trucks with no regard to anyone but themselves, all the while never turning of his super bright off road lights, not for oncoming traffic or anyone else in the world, as he is apparently more important then all the other cars on the road. This driver then proceeds to pass every vehicle in my eyesight in a unsafe fashion, on blind corners and uphill’s, cutting in between cars to avoid on coming traffic at the last second, Forcing everyone he just cut off to dump there brakes, this went on for 30 minutes until this person pulled off somewhere around Jesus Maria before Viscaino. At this point I could care less if you wad up your truck or team truck for that matter, and never return to baja to endanger the lives of all the other drivers on the road, the problem lies with the fact that you will KILL innocent people with driving habits that were displayed right before my own eye’s. Big rigs and all other on coming traffic flashed there bright lights at you, only to be ignored. So to the team that has the chase truck with the utility bed and hids up top and Led bar on a light bar or on the bumper up front with either Nevada or Arizona plated that read CHST RUN, or something like that, please either never come back to Baja or fire the chase idiot that was driving the truck at the time. This person has no regard for anyone but themselves and will kill people in the future if they come back. 10 years I have been doing this, and you by far have been the worst I have ever seen. From me and all the other drivers on the road that night, F$%k you. Highway 1 is not a safe highway to drive in perfect conditions, let alone with people like this.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 12:42 PM

The sad part is of the hundreds of chase trucks this one Bozo will be what others against our sport will use as an example of how we all act in Baja during a race. Thanks Tom!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
The sad part is of the hundreds of chase trucks this one Bozo will be what others against our sport will use as an example of how we all act in Baja during a race. Thanks Tom!

I have lived in San Felipe and have been to most of the races that come through or near there.

This guy is not the only one, by any means. The racers are not going to get the sport shut down in Baja, the chase trucks who leave their brains at the border will be the responsible ones.

Cudos to TW for posting, maybe some of the ones I am talking about with think about it.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wornout
Quote:

I have lived in San Felipe and have been to most of the races that come through or near there.

This guy is not the only one, by any means. The racers are not going to get the sport shut down in Baja, the chase trucks who leave their brains at the border will be the responsible ones.

Cudos to TW for posting, maybe some of the ones I am talking about with think about it.

I have witness this behavior before and it was in San felipe during one of the races, I can tell you for sure never again will I travel Baja during one of these races, you can call me a P..ss if you want to, but the irresponsible and total lack of common since seems to be the norm
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl

I have witness this behavior before and it was in San felipe during one of the races, I can tell you for sure never again will I travel Baja during one of these races, you can call me a P..ss if you want to, but the irresponsible and total lack of common since seems to be the norm

Yep, Hwy 5 is bad, even now that it is 4 lane, but try Saltido Road on race day. We normally use canyons and arroyos when we can to stay off Saltido Road.

There are two times a year when we locals stay off the road, one is race day and the other is Samanta Santa weekend. But living there the rest of the season makes it worth while.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 02:41 PM
Chase truck antics

Quote:
Quote:
The racers are not going to get the sport shut down in Baja, the chase trucks who leave their brains at the border will be the responsible ones.

Repost from Casey Currie on Baja Pole Line Group - Facebook

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 03:01 PM

I didn't mean he was the only jerk but that article would be the example used. Agree that it is an amped up event and if anything law enforcement could make a bigger presence but won't for fear of scaring away the race gold that benefits so many in Baja.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 04:15 PM

More stupid drivers posted on RDC:

Congrats - you drove like an idiot at the Baja1000

This was the first time I have driven the entire length of the highway during a race in a long time and I was utterly appalled at the disregard for human safety some teams chase trucks showed. I would have thought that with all the attention and warnings posted on here and discussed by SCORE people would have taken note but apparently they have not and have only gotten more brazen. Sadly we were one of the first cars to pass through where the accident happen with the fatality and let me tell you guys, seeing the dead body of a fellow racer's chase team and family is not a good feeling.

I think that we need to publicly identify some of the most egregious violaters so that hopefully team owners and those responsible take action. Note that I am well aware that sometimes people are being told by cars ahead it is clear to pass even though you can't see however none of these passes were made by caravans.

TSCO - Your silver Ford with a utility bed that was chasing the lower half of the course was driving way too fast and making unsafe passes on long uphills where you couldn't see. He passed all three of our cars in one go and we all slowed down since it was so unsafe.

MX TEAM 268x - You Suburban passed us on a blind corner, I can only theorize the driver has a death wish.

MX Team 9x - Your white Toyota pick up immediately followed the above suburban and showed the driver was even dumber than the Subarbans driver.

Got Milk Team - Whoever was towing the little got milk single axel trailer made numerous unsafe passes around us as he leap frogged down the peninsula. He should be the last person to tow a trailer.

But by far the worst drivers go to the whole Vildosola Team. I know you guys are from Mexico but your chase team drove like it owned the road and that we shouldn't be there. Whoever was driving your red raptor passed by doing 40 mph through downtown Mulege at 1230 at night wide open as I slowed for the speed bumps. Then your black suburban while making a "safe" pass was doing it well in excess of 100 mph. Your white Super Duties chasing the bottom half didn't have tools, tires and gas cans properly secured in the beds as they drove like marooons passing us numerous times - almost launching stuff out of the bed. Clearly as evident in the other thread with your mobile pit stop you guys have zero disregard for proper highway manners. Your outstanding win is only diminished by your stupidity on the highways.

I will not let some over hyped chase truck driver acting like a race car driver injure my friends and family. This ** ¡Ay, caramba!**** ¡Ay, caramba!**** ¡Ay, caramba!**** ¡Ay, caramba!** has got to stop people. How many more deaths will it take?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 04:31 PM

Interesting that the Mexican national team chase trucks were "by far the worst drivers"... but maybe not? Maybe the others just played 'monkey see- monkey do'?

Pits need to be set up before the race begins, chase trucks are to chase (follow) in case the racer breaks and can be reached from the highway... or to get pulled out and towed back home... This running as fast as possible to beat the race truck to the next pit or finish is got to stop if the sport is to continue. If you can't beat your race car to the next pit or hwy. crossing by driving safe speeds on the highway, then don't bother as it is not safe or legally do-able. That's my opinion, what's yours? :light:;)

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 04:47 PM

all race vehicles are penalized 30 seconds for every mph over 60 on the pavement. lets make teams register all support vehicles and carry irc devices. any penalties by support trucks will transferred over to the racers. that'll slow em down.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 04:54 PM

I seem to remember that all support vehicles were supposed to have team numbers prominently displayed, but that was some years back.
I know that our FAIR team had that rule and we self-enforced it.
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Quote:
The racers are not going to get the sport shut down in Baja, the chase trucks who leave their brains at the border will be the responsible ones.

Repost from Casey Currie on Baja Pole Line Group - Facebook

I know there is a SCORE rule for "no fueling" while moving on the hwy, after an incident at the Baja 2000..BUT these guys look to be doing some type of "pit" work while moving on the hwy?

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2012 at 06:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl

Yep, Hwy 5 is bad, even now that it is 4 lane, but try Saltido Road on race day. We normally use canyons and arroyos when we can to stay off Saltido Road.

There are two times a year when we locals stay off the road, one is race day and the other is Samanta Santa weekend. But living there the rest of the season makes it worth while.

I am not saying that I dont like San felipe, just the opposite, I have been going down for many years and will continue, but not on some times
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2012 at 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaTijereta

I know there is a SCORE rule for "no fueling" while moving on the hwy, after an incident at the Baja 2000..BUT these guys look to be doing some type of "pit" work while moving on the hwy?

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2012 at 07:45 AM

In the end, Vildosola's time of 19 hours, 44 minutes and 51 seconds was nearly 16 minutes faster than Balwin's. Still, the dominance of the two drivers becomes more evident when looking at the remainder of the Top 10. Third-place finisher Mark Weyhrich finished a whopping 29 minutes and nine seconds behind Vildosola.

[Edited on 11-22-2012 by Ken Cooke]

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-22-2012 at 08:47 AM

people that drive like this will only respond to law enforcement or heaping public scorn. their cars seem to be billboards for sponsors. i suggest you go to sponsors facebook and twitter and tell the customers and PR flacks that the company sponsors reckless driving,...

the drivers and pit crews don't care, so your only recourse is to get attention of people corporate sponsors paying their travel and racing costs.

letters to corporation don't work. corporations only respond to public criticism that goes viral.

did BFG, Red Bull or Bank Of America $$ kill or maim anyone this year?
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-22-2012 at 09:13 AM

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 11-22-2012 at 09:35 AM

Win at any cost because the reward is worth it........

My solo B1K moto pal was rear ended by a TT during the race. He commented on this at the podium.
http://youtu.be/--f0_6zFpD4

[Edited on 11-22-2012 by Sweetwater]

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 11-22-2012 at 10:46 AM

I believe that NASCAR's over-riding rule is "Have at her, Boys."

SCORE's new slogan may be "You Only Live Once...why prolong it?"
BAJA
YOLO

Fits nicely on a sticker. Applies mostly to the spectators. I fear mostly for the bikers among the racers.

Maybe this is what Libertarianism looks like?

Who's to tell me I can't dance in front of a bullet, and who's to tell me I am accountable if someone is hurt when I fire into a crowd who knew I was going to shoot?

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 11-22-2012 at 12:11 PM

I'm sad to see the team my family has been cheering on for years was doing repairs from a moving vehicle and reports of their chase trucks driving recklessly.
I hope they require sat tracking with the same rules for chase vehicles in the future.

That next video with the truck ripping through that camp is worthy of never being in the race again. Does anyone know who that team and driver ?:fire:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.