Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: TWs B1K Trip Report
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2012 at 01:07 PM
TWs B1K Trip Report

TWs B1K Report

I crossed the border on Tuesday Nov. 13th at the new TJ crossing and found it easy and simple. Down the toll road to Ensenada and to the Ensenada Inn. Rudy and Fred already checked in and later that evening Fred made dinner. Up the next morning and Fred made breakfast, what a guy.

Tunaeater arrived later Wed. morning with the race bike 249X. Him and Ricky unload the bike and head for tech inspection. Around 11am we walk over to the tech area and contingency. Lots of stuff to see including the race cars and trucks coming thru. Amazing technology on the vehicles.

After a good nights sleep we’re up early Thursday morning, race day. Paul is soon ready and takes off for the start line. We expect him to start at 7:20am. The others head out of town for the Ojos Negros crossing. I go to near the start line and park at the 7/11 store across the street, I got lucky I guess on a great spot. Soon Paul is off. I head out of town for the hwy 3 KM78 course turn-off. Paul started last (8th) in class. At the turn-off he was 3rd physically. Down to Trinidad I meet with Rudy and Fred and Paul’s friends and co-rider. The handoff to Ricky was smooth and simple. 249X was in 3rd place physically and probably leading on time.

Following the race course from the hwy I stop at the Borrego pits while Rudy and Fred continue south. I watch the Trophy Trucks and class 1 cars come thru then I too head south. I stop north of Gonzaga Bay about a mile south of where the pavement ends and setup camp. Morning comes and I continue south stopping at Alfonsina’s for breakfast. On to Cocos and drop off supplies. Just before Cocos I meet John M and his wife and friends coming north. We chat for a short while then move on.

[IMG]

After a short visit with Coco I move on to LA Bay and out to Bahia San Rafael. On the way I meet some Checker pit crew guys coming toward me. They had a bag fall off their vehicle and one of them had run back to get it. When I met him he said a case of water also fell off. A little later I spot the water and pick it up. About 25 miles from LA Bay I come upon a burnt side by side Raptor ATV. Later I stop at Panchos’ and give him some supplies and the water, that made his day. A few miles further the side by side Raptor owner stops me and ask about it and the two drivers. I didn’t know anything about the drivers but I show him pictures of the ATV.

On I go and make the turn for El Arco. It’s starting to get dark. Several miles further and I come upon an SUV going in the opposite direction. He stops me and wants to know where Guerrero Negro is. They were from La Paz and the mother had lived in Guerrero Negro years ago and was going there to visit family. I was puzzled how they got here from hwy 1 and didn’t see any signs, we were on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere. Anyway I told there where it was and to follow me. We went thru El Arco and out to hwy 1 and up to Guerrero Negro.

I spend the night at the Malarrimo hotel. After breakfast I go on past Vizcaino to the Abreojos turnoff. I drop off some school supplies at the restaurant for the school in La Bocana. Armida is no longer at the restaurant but the lady there said she would see that they get to Blanca for the school.

I’m back on the road up to Cocos again then on to San Felipe where I find Rudy and Fred at Rudy’s house. They had dinner ready and a very nice bed for me. A neighbor comes by in the morning and fixes breakfast. Wow I’m really getting the Class A treatment which I love. Soon I’m on my way to Tecate and I take the El Compadre Trail only to meet many bicycle racers coming toward me. There was a bicycle race going on and I didn’t want to be going against them so I pulled over and made lunch. After an hour or so they had passed and I’m back on the road. As I come down the last hill toward Santa Veronica two ATVs are on the side one of which is tangled in the fence and the other trying to pull him out. I get my tow strap out and get them on their way. At the Tacate crossing there is a 1.5 hour wait then home.

Another Baja 1000 in the books.

[Edited on 12-2-2012 by TW]

[Edited on 12-2-2012 by TW]
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2012 at 01:23 PM

Sweet report. I'll see if I have any 249X pictures coming thru El Arco.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-2-2012 at 01:28 PM

telnor has some impressive equipment!:light:

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2012 at 02:12 PM

What kind of bike is that black one in the 4th and 5th photo?
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2012 at 02:24 PM

so this guy in the raptor was driving down the road minding his own business when a mystery guy in a F150 decides he needs refueling.............

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2012 at 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
what, you dont recognize a dutch made Track 800cc inline 3 cylinder turbo charged algae diesel burning race bike when you see one? seriously, someone here posted a video of it flaming out!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 12-2-2012 at 02:38 PM
what is That ??

Quote:
That might be the one that runs on algee....anyone have link to that?? K&W:cool:
Corky1
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2012 at 05:08 PM
TW did yo forget the WALL??

I though you were going to check out the wall near San Raphel after the race???

Corky

\"Keep The Rubberside Down\"
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 12-2-2012 at 06:10 PM

Here ya go Cap.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=64080#pid7732...

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2012 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Corky1
I though you were going to check out the wall near San Raphel after the race???

Corky

No, I attemped to get close in my truck but couldn't due to the cactus over growth. I tried to follow the wash along side the hills but only got about a mile. I tried to find another way across the cactus but couldn't. As a straight east direction from the road it's about 2 miles thru the cactus then another 2 miles over the hills. Being by myself I didn't want to attemp it. As soon as I get someone to go along I'll try again. I asked Pancho about it but he didn't know anything of it.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-3-2012 at 11:29 AM

Lots of Baja Mysteries out there for us to ponder, explore and discover!

The 'mystery walls' at Las Animas were discovered in 1966 and later believed to be a started mission project called Santa Maria Magdalena by history writers... We went there in 2009: http://vivabaja.com/109

The mystery wall at San Rafael is not a great distance away... perhaps built by the same people?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2012 at 11:48 AM
View from Space

Looking down, North at top

Looking West

Looking South

Looking down, East at top, pin added at top/ west end of wall

Distance from Pancho's to wall: 4.57 miles, as the crow flys.

[Edited on 12-3-2012 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-3-2012 at 11:50 AM

Thanks, much --- :):)

luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 02:25 PM

Quote:
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 02:27 PM

I guess this algae biodiesel bike didn't do too good. Here we see a video of Mexican AAA picking it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=DCqD2qodtdA&fea...

UNA MAS CERVEZA PORFAVOR, CON 5 TACOS DE TIBURON..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXKHaeBGsI
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 12-4-2012 at 06:50 PM

Great job with the Photobucket resizing and reposting TW!!!:bounce::light:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-5-2012 at 11:37 AM

This report was done with the older Photobucket. My Bajalou report was with the new Photobucket and I did not see a way to re-size the pixs. However it was easier to upload the pixs.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 11:45 AM

The wall near Pancho's at Las Animas remains a mystery.
How old is it... and could it date from the mission period? Was it a nautical navigation aid?

The mystery walls at Bahía las Animas are no less strange and also can be seen from the water.

Here is how I illustrated them in my new book, Baja California Land of Missions:

BigBearRider
Super Nomad

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 02:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
The wall near Pancho's at Las Animas remains a mystery.
How old is it... and could it date from the mission period? Was it a nautical navigation aid?

The mystery walls at Bahía las Animas are no less strange and also can be seen from the water.

Here is how I illustrated them in my new book, Baja California Land of Missions:

A troll told me that these pics are all the proof he needs to know that global warming is a left-wing conspiracy. You see, the cactus in the top right-hand corner and the dude in the original pic are still above the water line in the second pic more than 50 years later! ;D (Sorry, I couldn't resist. In all seriousness, the walls are very curious.)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2016 at 02:30 PM

LOL

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.