Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tourist Card at Algodones
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 03:11 PM
Tourist Card at Algodones

Anyone gotten their tourist card at Algodones? Is there parking and a bank nearby?

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 03:20 PM

we always get our FMM ( tourist card at Algodones)

its really easy and fast

park at the border in the hugh parking lot $4.00

walk across the border after you inter MX its in the secound building, go in and complete the paper work , walk out the door and go across a parking lot and you will see a bank, ( its only a window) but it get the job done, pay the fees go back and its complete, have lunch and go back across the border , its a snap
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
we always get our FMM ( tourist card at Algodones)

its really easy and fast

park at the border in the hugh parking lot $4.00

walk across the border after you inter MX its in the secound building, go in and complete the paper work , walk out the door and go across a parking lot and you will see a bank, ( its only a window) but it get the job done, pay the fees go back and its complete, have lunch and go back across the border , its a snap

Thanks - I heard there's sometimes a long queue walking in and out- is that true? Would prefer to park on the Mex side if that were easy - possible:?:
bbbait
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 04:04 PM

Yes you can park on the Mexico side and walk back. Check it out as you go in and spot where to go, ask them when you cross if you are not sure which office is which. Then turn right at the first intersection, go a short block and turn right again. Now you are going back towards the border where when you get close it opens up into a big parking area. There is a guy there keeping watch and will charge you a buck or so while you walk back, to get visas, or shop or eat.
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-1-2013 at 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bbbait
Yes you can park on the Mexico side and walk back. Check it out as you go in and spot where to go, ask them when you cross if you are not sure which office is which. Then turn right at the first intersection, go a short block and turn right again. Now you are going back towards the border where when you get close it opens up into a big parking area. There is a guy there keeping watch and will charge you a buck or so while you walk back, to get visas, or shop or eat.

Thanks - sounds much like the drill at Tecate - or at least as it was last winter.

Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 1-2-2013 at 06:44 PM

So, question. If your destination is further south, why not park on the Mexican side and just keep going? Why the walk back and forth across the border? I'm familiar with the tourist office in Algodones, but haven't needed a ticket in a long time. Thanks for the updated information. Any idea what time they open in the morning?

[Edited on 1-3-2013 by Pappy Jon]

"The association of flowers and warm-blooded love is more than a romantic convention; it is based upon one of the great advances in the evolution of life." Ed Abbey
Pappy Jon
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-2-2013 at 06:47 PM

Also, what is the current charge?

"The association of flowers and warm-blooded love is more than a romantic convention; it is based upon one of the great advances in the evolution of life." Ed Abbey
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-2-2013 at 10:06 PM

Hi Jon. Because parking in Mexico by the border can be
too much drama.
An FMM for 8-180 days is about 23 dollars. 1-7 days is free.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 1-2-2013 at 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Hi Jon. Because parking in Mexico by the border can be
too much drama.
An FMM for 8-180 days is about 23 dollars. 1-7 days is free.

If you go to Baja Sur your days do not matter. Get the FMM!

Algodones has the Immigration office within 50 yards of the banco.

Looks like this:

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
esscubed

[*] posted on 11-15-2016 at 12:01 PM
Are the INM and bank open on weekends?

Some of our group will be crossing there on Saturday, 11/19 and we will be crossing on Sunday, Nov 20.
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-15-2016 at 08:19 PM

I see folks double park per the INM guy. Where you see the motos in the pic. Then walk to the bank then back to INM.
Price in Pesos ?? Use dollars and get a new amount these days?
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-17-2016 at 08:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Price in Pesos ?? Use dollars and get a new amount these days?
FYI - paid 390 pesos at SY crossing on Oct 12th.
Pappy Jon
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2016 at 08:13 PM

My primary crossing is Algodones. I have never been to the bank in Algodones. Don't even know where it is. The fella at the IM office is always standing outside pulling over tourist to get their FMM, sometimes with help from police. He insists that he be paid directly, not through the bank, and always in US$, exact change please. I don't think I've ever been issued a legal tourist card at this office.

KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2016 at 10:39 PM

The bank in Algodones is in what looks like a parking lot, far end. Walk from the INM office towards town 50 feet, turn right. Usually a few military guys hanging around. The bank is apparently closed on Sundays.
I've sometimes gotten my FMM there, and never have been asked to pay the officer directly.
However, last year and this year too, I asked the officer if my son and friend (who were riding with me to the Baja 1000 in a couple of days from then) could get the 7 day free FMM. He again told me that they could, IF THEY HAD WRITTEN PROOF OF RESERVATIONS FOR THE DURATION OF THEIR STAY. As well, they'd have to return the FMM's upon exit and have their passports stamped. What about 180 day FMM's? He said they don't have to be returned and passports stamped. WTF??
I responded by saying that we didn't have reservations as our plans were very fluid, so he said he wouldn't issue a free FMM.
I next told him that other Baja border crossings didn't require the written proof of reservations and he basically told me I was lying.
Screw that... when my son and friend showed up, we crossed at Mexicali west, got their 7 day free FMM's, clarified that they didn't have to return them upon exit as they simply expired, so went on our way.

Methinks that the Algodones agent was looking for a mordida?
I specifically asked about getting the FMM's on Sunday, and he told me that the bank wasn't open on that day... didn't suggest or say we could pay him directly... maybe he was waiting for the suggestion?

[Edited on 11-24-2016 by KasloKid]
ljprusko
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2016 at 06:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pappy Jon  
My primary crossing is Algodones. I have never been to the bank in Algodones. Don't even know where it is. The fella at the IM office is always standing outside pulling over tourist to get their FMM, sometimes with help from police. He insists that he be paid directly, not through the bank, and always in US$, exact change please. I don't think I've ever been issued a legal tourist card at this office.

I live in Yuma, AZ (about 15 minutes from Algodones), travel to Baja all the time, and always get my tourist visa at Algodones because its so easy. Have the exact same experience as Pappy Jon, I pay the guy directly (exact amount) in the government office in pesos or US dollars, don't even know where the bank is, whole process takes 10 minutes, so easy.

[Edited on 11-24-2016 by ljprusko]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-24-2016 at 07:44 AM

We got free FMM at Mexicali. Your passport is scanned because if don't exit and rescan within 7 days you will be charged the 180 fee amount next time you go to INM. So, they must be returned as you are tracked. We returned them at Tecate and the process was exactly as Mexicali had indicated. There was no question of where we were staying. The 180 day FMM does not get returned, just keep it for the duration and toss it. These are 2016 processes explained at Mexicali and Tecate INM. I have gotten both this year.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

KasloKid
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2016 at 08:57 AM

I wonder if we're talking about the same Algodones INM official? The guy I've dealt with is not very tall... maybe 5' 5"

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2016 at 06:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  
I wonder if we're talking about the same Algodones INM official? The guy I've dealt with is not very tall... maybe 5' 5"

=====
My memory is the same as you
Same guy every crossing when he is there, but sometimes he is not around.
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2016 at 08:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  
As well, they'd have to return the FMM's upon exit and have their passports stamped. What about 180 day FMM's? He said they don't have to be returned and passports stamped. WTF??

This is correct, and there is a simple explanation. Has been mentioned many, many times here. They don't care about return of 180 day FMM because they have already gotten your money. Free 7-day FMM they have an incentive to track - and to get your money if you don't comply.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.