Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Back from 14 days of fun
skipowell
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 04:00 PM
Back from 14 days of fun

Wow what a beautiful place Baja is. We just spent 14 days driving 1700 miles and meeting great people and seeing wonderful sights. Husband has been doing this trip for years surfing, so this time i wanted to go but i had my own requirements. Okay with camping but wanted hot showers, occasional hotels and wanted to see the sights, not just surf spots. Here is a recap of our trip.

Day 1 drove from our Rosarito house in Baja Norte to Catavina, camped in our camper at the Rancho Santa Inez campground. In the morning went hiking around the area. What a beautiful place, but COLD.

Day 2-4 drove out to Bahia Asunscion and meet a lot of fun nomads (Shari, iflyfish, desert rat and family, baja gyspy and family are the ones i can remember) Stayed at one of Shari's houses that was very dog friendly and then final night at her campground. Ended up spending three days including Christmas in this quaint town as the people and weather where wonderful. We really appreciate everyone being so welcoming and including us with their holiday plans. We will certainly be going back. If the surf was there, we may have never left.

Day 5 drove from Asusncion to Punta Abreojos on the dirt road, was a long slow drive with heavy camper but beautiful. Didn't look like Baja Blanca was around as place looked quiet when we drove through La Bocana otherwise we would have stopped and stayed there if they were taking guests. Ended up pushing though to Punta Abeojos and again no surf (not expecting it either) plan was then to stay at Campo Rene's but not a soul around so then pushed forward to San Ignacio. Just stayed at Rice And Beans.

Day 6 Went into San Ignacio in the AM, another amazing place. I would have never guessed that a town in middle of Baja would have such a lagoon or church. Wished we had stayed in the little town rather than Rice and Beans (although dinner was very good) that night but will know for next trip.
After breakfast got on the road and headed towards gulf as Shari warned me not to do the whales yet. Drove to El Requeson after a brief stop in Santa Rosalia for provisions and bakery goods( thanks to the person who suggested the bakery stop) and a stop for a few beers at Bueva Ventura. Nice meeting Mark. We got to meet Nathan a bit later as he was at Requeson when we got there.

Day 8 husband getting grumpy about not getting to surf so packed up and drove to Guerro Negro as I wasn't leaving with out seeing the whales. Glad we took Shari's advice and waited till the last minute to see whales, as they were amazing. Spent the night at Scammon's lagoon ( again recommended by Shari) it was COLD but worth it. In the morning went out on boat with 6 people that came from Germany to see the whales. What a show they put on. Saw two mothers with their babies, one whale that kept doing the spyglass show and countless whales and tails. If this is what a slow day at the lagoon produces I can't imagine when the lagoon is full. Supposedly less that 100 whales there right now and can be 10 to 15 times that amount in February and March. I want to do this again.

day 9-11 Punta San Rosalita and Punta Andres. All about the surf. Not much for me to report. husband happy he got to surf jetty as that doesn't always break. Took camper on very muddy road to Alejandro's and spent New Years there. Fun crowd but I think we all celebrated on New York time. he went out and surfed spots, I stayed with dog and just tried to get out of wind.

Day 12 -13 went to Bahia Los Angeles to warm up. Another beautiful place, husband had never been there so a treat for him also. Stayed at Daggets beach, but after checking area out would stay at Archelon's for future visit as you can stay water front. Regardless both places very clean. Another friendly town. Wanted to out and see whales but not much happening when we were there.

Day 14- Heading home stayed in San Quintin at Los Olivios RV park next to Jardine restaurant. Highly recommend both places. I am not a big fan of San Quintin but this stay had helped change my mind. In morning went out to surf spots, husband got some good waves so he was happy. One last detour to Shipwrecks near Camalu, a quick late afternoon session and then on to Rosarito Beach where we are now currently unwinding. Getting camper cleaned and laundry done at Mexico house to return to San Diego on Sunday.

All In all great trip
Many thanks to all the Nomads who helped with suggestions and those who we meet along the way!!
Happy New Years
Lori and Jeff
24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 04:08 PM

Lori and Jeff thanks for posting the details, sounds like a fun and well worth it trip.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 04:09 PM

Nice, sorry to have missed you in BA. Glad you enjoyed your trip.

zac

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 05:51 PM

we were indeed not home....our neighbors next door are the ones who open the house when we are gone...next time, we would love to meet you !

thanks for an excellent and detailed report.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 06:34 PM

I'm so glad you got out to the lagoon and enjoyed the show! It was really great to get to spend time with you and your hubby...he and Juan WILL play some music next time!

It really felt like you were part of the family here amiga...look forward to your next visit...maybe in mid August for the fiestas and surf competition??? Here is a "feel the love" photo of you with your new peeps here in Asuncion.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-4-2013 at 06:42 PM

wind along the central coast in winter????:lol::light::biggrin:

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 02:42 PM

it is blowing like there is no tomorrow right now. howling gales and freezing cold.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 02:14 PM

Great report.....thanks Lori!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.