Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Cabo Pulmo
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 04:37 PM
Cabo Pulmo

we took a lovely trip to cabo pulmo today:

to get there, from buena vista, we passed:

and as we were ALMOST there, I noticed this beautiful light green plant and had Les quickly stop so that I could ask for a little branch

and thus Lupita and I became good friends ! She planted a bisnaga for me and we paid her for her kindness, we also gave her some goodies we had in the truck. If you happen to go by, take some goodies- they are quite poor,she told me. Her parents and her were born on this ranch. Her husband Antonio was not there.

We ate breakfast at Tito's. This restaurant has been here for 40 years ! I took some pics of the famly.

This is Elizabeth- Tito's son's wife:

and this is some artwork for sale inside the restaurant - by an artist from Cabo named Yasmin (see the other thread).

this is the view as you pull into this one horse town:

interesting:

info for divers/snorkelers:

It was a great drive to Cabo Pulmo, next time we want to go even further and see Playa Los Frailles which is supposed to be very protected from wind. We might also go snorkeling next time.... so much to see and do !

[Edited on 1-6-2013 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 05:52 PM

We'll be at both places in mid February...

We are flying down this time.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 05:53 PM

You will love it Udo. so pretty, picture perfect !

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 07:02 PM

I like the finger reefs at Pulmo, it is a pretty dive, a nice area, and I have dived it many times. But, in the name of accuracy, it drives me crazy to hear it described as the "only living coral reef in the Gulf of California", which it is not. There are numerous living patch (small) coral reefs all up and down the East Cape from Cabo San Lucas to Bahia de Los Muertos, and there is a very large living coral reef, much bigger in area than Pulmo based on my observations, about a half mile off of Punta Pescadero in about 60 fsw. The Pescadero reef is deeper than Pulmo, and probably because of that I have seen many more pelagics (jacks, tuna, mobulas, sharks...) there than I have at Pulmo. In my opinion, the incorrect statements citing Pulmo as the only living coral reef in the SOC are based on commercial reasons rather than accuracy.

carpe diem!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 07:48 PM

thanks for the clarification .... as I read the sign there, it sounded like it was improbable for it to be the only live reef.

Come visit La Bocana

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 07:59 PM

WAY Awesome Blanca. That graded road looked like heaven. Pulmo is a treasure!!! Thanks for taking the time to post and say hi to Les for us.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 08:20 PM
Baja blanco & cabo pulmo

Nice report...Holds a good part of me... my winters there in the 80s & 90s..kept ole man tito & son cafe in fresh fish for the winters..but Thats a fire side (long) story...How would I find Lupita ??? if leaving C.P. heading north is she in the green place on the left???...She looks like someone Ive seen over the years and would love to stop by and talk with her !!!Any rec. on A little humble gift I might bring her would be great advice,,Thanks.......K&T.....PS,in your 2nd pic..I used to set up on the right of the "school" on the spit and my Lil livingston on the hook right in front of my pad....Ole man tito would reserve that spot for me...AHH !! good times !!!

[Edited on 1-6-2013 by captkw]
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 08:26 PM

You could have thrown a beer can into our driveway!! Would have been better to have picked up a cold beer from us instead. Next time.

Lupita's and Antonio's ranchito is really the only visible cattle/sheep corral on the dirt road between Cabo Pulmo to the south and the end of the paved road from La Ribera to the north. The road in front of their place has several large dirt topes. Often they will have a "Queso Fresco" sign out front. The green building you mention is in Las Barracas and is a maintenance building. Lupita is a half mile or so further to the north and on the ocean side of the road.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 08:50 PM
I know that place !! LOL

There was a older gal sometimes at the green place and got my water there....I knew Lupita looked like some one from my past...Cool..thanks.Floatflyer...Iihave a few hrs with floats,,,nothing else like it.... TD's LOL...except maybe skids !!!!! I have never done that !! You ?? K&T
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
I like the finger reefs at Pulmo, it is a pretty dive, a nice area, and I have dived it many times. But, in the name of accuracy, it drives me crazy to hear it described as the "only living coral reef in the Gulf of California", which it is not. There are numerous living patch (small) coral reefs all up and down the East Cape from Cabo San Lucas to Bahia de Los Muertos, and there is a very large living coral reef, much bigger in area than Pulmo based on my observations, about a half mile off of Punta Pescadero in about 60 fsw. The Pescadero reef is deeper than Pulmo, and probably because of that I have seen many more pelagics (jacks, tuna, mobulas, sharks...) there than I have at Pulmo. In my opinion, the incorrect statements citing Pulmo as the only living coral reef in the SOC are based on commercial reasons rather than accuracy.

Cabo Pulmo may not be the only one or the biggest one, but it sure was worth the battle to protect if from that huge development. :yes:

Nice trip report Blanca and glad you had such a good time.

[Edited on 1-6-2013 by DianaT]

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 09:08 PM
DianaT

Humm,, Im late to the news..what Huge develoment ??? them is fighting words for anyone that has spent any time around this" Jewel". Pargue National.......Thanks.....K&T:cool:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
Humm,, Im late to the news..what Huge develoment ??? them is fighting words for anyone that has spent any time around this" Jewel". Pargue National.......Thanks.....K&T:cool:

Check this out --- http://savecabopulmo.org/

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 09:21 PM
DianaT Thanks...ck U2u

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2013 at 08:46 AM

There was a wonderful special on CNNI. Part of the Going Green series. Check it out.
It is a terrific story about saving the reef.

Edit to add
Did some research. try this
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2012/09/15/going-gree...

[Edited on 1-6-2013 by bajajudy]

[Edited on 1-6-2013 by bajajudy]

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2013 at 08:56 PM

wow ! thanks for sharing that Judy. It is just so beautiful !

well, captkw, now you know where Lupita is, and really, that light green huge cactus tree is a dead giveaway. As you are heading INTO caboPulmo, they live on the left handside of the road. There are at least 3 dogs who bark a lot! - as for goodies: blankets, clothes and cookies and such that we can't get here in Mexico. We gave them some ham and fruit that we had.

captkw - you definitely must stop by la bocana and tell us a few of those fireside long stories !

we are homenow, safe and sound, and tonight we shall both be dreaming about los barriles, buena vista and cabo pulmo !

Come visit La Bocana

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2013 at 09:09 PM
Baja Blanca

Hola, and Nice post...Im up here in monterey bay area, still fixing boats and your pics make me want to get back asap...LOL I know the drivway as I dropped steve off there many times !!! steve came from medford oragon and set up a huge interneting tents to form a small "condo" up on the hill to the left of scholl in your second pic !! and titos son lived there of and on,, LOL. havnt seen ether in many years...did you happen to see the "boat ramp" near the north inner curve of the bay ??? K&T :cool:
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2013 at 09:35 PM

I can't see it, can you?

Come visit La Bocana

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2013 at 09:47 PM
your second pic !!

ITs to the left of the "school" thats the building on the spit !! in the corner of the bay..you have to walk right up to it to see it..cement and very narrow..titos (rip) old BIG truck would have to be perfect to back down & up.....I'm glad thats its protected...But thats a double edged sword IMO... I was there before,,during,,after the "park"status and I'll save that for the fire !!!! K&T:cool:

[Edited on 1-7-2013 by captkw]

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-6-2013 at 09:56 PM

another REALLY neat gift would be to print up the pics of Tito's family that I took and the ones of Lupita,and take it to them.....

if you want to email them to me, I will send u2u, with the email address !

Come visit La Bocana

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-6-2013 at 11:51 PM

Nice pictures Blanca!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.