Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Driving into the USA with Mexican car
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 07:07 PM
Driving into the USA with Mexican car

I believe this topic has come up on threads, but I've Searched and found nothing specific, ie. how to enter the US with a legal Mexican-plated car.

Some questions:
~First, is there an online website/s for definitive answers?
If not, does anyone know?:
~Must the operator's/s' name/s be on the Mexican car's registration in order to drive it into the US?
~Can temporary US insurance be purchased near the border in Tecate before crossing into the US or on-line in advance?
~As a foreigner legally residing in Mexico must I have a Mexican drivers license to drive a Mexican car in Mexico?
~Can I use my current Mexican drivers license in the USA?
~Can I use my current California State drivers license in the USA while driving a Mexican car?

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-2-2013 at 07:20 PM

if the car is in your name it will be ok, if not dont try it. I drive my Mexican plated truck to the USA once a month and my insurance coasts 150.00 a year.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 06:20 AM

Thanks, Bruce. Good to know the driver's/s' name/s must be on the car's current title and registration.

Anything else, Anybody?

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 07:18 AM

You can get short-term insurance to cover your Mexican car while in the US. It's been a couple of years since we've done this and I don't remember how much it cost or which agency we used (in La Paz), but I'll look it up and post later. In any case, we got coverage for one month and it was very reasonable.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 07:45 AM

I think that you can purchase insurance on line and print your policy.

BajaParrothead
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 08:22 AM

Quote:
~Can I use my current Mexican drivers license in the USA?
~Can I use my current California State drivers license in the USA while driving a Mexican car?

Mulegena,
As for driving in the US on your Mexican license; A Mexican DL is valid in the US for the period of time granted on the tourist visa.

Your California license allows you to drive any legal, validly registered motor vehicle in the US. The requirements for operating a foreign registered vehicle in California is that the vehicle cannot be "based" in California, cannot be used for purposes of, or transportation to employment. If you are just visiting NOB for a short period, no problem, just make sure you have valid US insurance.
Safe travels!!:D
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 03:56 PM

Mulegena - we got our short term policy at Ortiz Insurance Agency in La Paz and I believe it was an ING policy - cost was no more than $50.00US at the very most. We decided to take care of it before the drive and not hassle with it at the border since we could indicate the starting date that we wanted. If there's a similar kind of office where you are, why not just get it done before you hit the road? Don't know about online, but in this day and age there's got to be a way to do it online too.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 04:12 PM

Mulegena

If its a legal mexican registeredI(plated car) uou probably have a rider on the back for insurance while in the USA, Most mexican insurers have been doing this the last 2 years. Qualitas I know, Also Atlas, ask your insurance agent. I have driven all over the US with Mexican plated car with Mexican drivers license.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 04:33 PM

Thanks, Nomads.
With this info so far, you've encouraged me to pursue this.
Welcome any and all knowledge on this subject.
As my plans develop I'll post my findings on this thread, too.
Mil Gracias y keep it coming.

Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
I believe this topic has come up on threads, but I've Searched and found nothing specific, ie. how to enter the US with a legal Mexican-plated car.

I have Baja California plates (frontera), and a Mexican driver's license (and Mexican residence). With these I get my car insurance in Mexico (Atlas last year, Quálitas this year). As well as covering all of Mexico, both comprehensive policies include full coverage in the USA (lower 48) and Canada, for any number of trips and any length of stay. Not every policy does though, you need to check.

I've only once been asked for the registration documents and insurance when entering the US.

There's an extra requirement for Canada, the "Non-Resident Inter-Province Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Card". This card should be free if your Mexican policy has sufficient coverage for Canada (not all do), but you do have to specially request it (it's a very unusual requirement), and it can take some time for the card to reach your insurance broker.

As others have mentioned, it's legal to drive with Mexican plates and license for any length of trip in the USA or Canada, while you have a valid tourist entry permit and insurance. If you're a "resident" of any US state their rules would probably forbid driving for long with "out of state" (or country) plates/license (not an issue for me).

Rob

[Edited on 2013-4-4 by Riom]
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2013 at 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Riom
I have Baja California plates (frontera), and a Mexican driver's license (and Mexican residence). With these I get my car insurance in Mexico (Atlas last year, Quálitas this year)...
As others have mentioned, it's legal to drive with Mexican plates and license for any length of trip in the USA or Canada, while you have a valid tourist entry permit and insurance...

Questions, please:
~ Can you provide the contact information for Qualitas, please?
~ Are you suggesting that I must apply for a tourist entry permit into the USA? I'm a US citizen.

Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2013 at 11:32 AM

Quote:
~ Can you provide the contact information for Qualitas, please?

The website for Qualitas is: www.qualitas.com.mx

My car is an import (frontera), which doesn't fit any of the online quote systems, so rather than trying to deal directly with insurance companies I use a broker (Alanis in San Felipe). They look for the best deal for me each year (saved me 25% this year), and are somebody to work for me if there's ever any problems. There should be a similar broker in your area.

Quote:
~ Are you suggesting that I must apply for a tourist entry permit into the USA? I'm a US citizen.

No. For non-US citizens, driving a foreign-plated car is legal in the US while not a resident (such as entering as a tourist).

But for US citizens (or legal residents, students etc), it probably depends on state rules - if you're a resident, or become a resident, of a US state, that state will decide when you can no longer drive on foreign plates/license.

For example for Arizona:
http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/azwelcome.asp#ResidentDefinition

So if you vote in Arizona (or work there, spend more than 7 months per year there, etc), your Mexican plates/license would legally need to be changed for Arizona ones "immediately" you set foot (wheel) in the state.

If there's nothing to make you resident (tax home?) in the US state that you visit, you would be treated the same as a tourist. Just like using California plates in Arizona for limited visits.

The Mexican insurance does require you to be a resident of Mexico (FM3/2 etc).

Rob

[Edited on 2013-4-5 by Riom]
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 4-5-2013 at 12:32 PM

Friends have confirmed what I found out the hard way, a cracked windshield can send a car and occupants back into Mexico as can inoperative lights or illegal lights (driving lights without covers) blue clearance lights, etc. Just sayin'.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-5-2013 at 01:07 PM

Good to know, DavidE.
Personally not planning on doing any of that, but pertinent info for this Thread.

tecatero
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 07:22 AM

Im a permanent resident card holder, mexican DL, and have insurance for US on my mexican plated vehicle. Now, crossing the border I can show all paperwork on my car, I still hold a US Passport,,,,,,,,tell me I don't need a tourist visa to visit US .?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 07:31 AM

You are an American citizen with a valid U.S. Passport (for identification), what prevents you from coming "home" otherwise?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 08:11 AM

I know that I am not allowed to hold a driver's license in both Alaska and California, is it different with a foreign license? Presenting one from each country could be a problem.

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 10:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I know that I am not allowed to hold a driver's license in both Alaska and California, is it different with a foreign license? Presenting one from each country could be a problem.

Don't show more than one drivers license, but I don't think the cop cares who pulls you over.

At the border, you do not show a drivers license (unless you don't have any other ID, then just show the American one, naturally, if northbound).

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 11:35 AM

David, I was asked for registration documents for my car at Tecate once, because my CA plates did not jive with my AK passport.

Having a MX plated vehicle would surely trigger similar or more questions. Unless the US passport and DL show the MX address, there is even more room for questions.

It probably is no big deal, but if it is busy that day, who wants to get sent to secondary to sort it out?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2016 at 12:06 PM

Right you are, anything out of the norm will raise questions. The agents at the border must question anything odd. Having duplicate IDs from different countries or Americans driving a Mexican car should raise questions.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.