Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Weekend at Gaviotas
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 03:57 PM
Weekend at Gaviotas

It's been like 3 weeks since we've been back and work has been insane. Finally got a minute to thank Terry28 for the use of his house for a couple of nights. As most know, Gaviotas is a nice enclave north of Pto Nuevo with a nice little wave out front. I didn't surf as relaxation and food was my main prioroties-and the surf was smallish.

We ate some damn good tacos in Primo Tapia at a little spot called Tacos El Poblano immediately south of the pedestrian bridge. The guy slinging tacos said they'd been there over 20 years. Really good tacos!

We also ate at Splash twice. Their tempura shrimp are the best I've ever eaten!!!! Whatever else we had was okay, but the shrimps were a hit, so much so we went back the next evening!

As a momento I got myself a tiki for the back patio from the guy in Primo Tapia across from the Pemex. I think I paid $30 for one that is 3' high and painted up all rustic like. He makes them from palm tree trunks. I was worried the border guy wouldn't let me bring it across but he didn't give it a second look, even after I told him "TIKI" and opened the back of the truck for him.

Long story short - if you need a VERY NICE place to hang out for a few days Terry28 is the guy you want to talk to. The house is fully furnished, has an upstairs deck to watch the dolphins and whales swim past!!!

Thanks Terry! I owe ya buddy!

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 04:14 PM

Nice. You beat me to it -- I was literally uploading my Gavi photos to Photobucket as I saw your post.

I'll wait a few days as to not look like an attention fool. =)

I gotta try Splash next time. Looks good.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 04:17 PM
Rubens

Also try Rubens when you are in the area. Next to the PEMEX at Cantimar. Good food, reasonable prices

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 04:38 PM

Looks like a very nice spot for a relaxing weekend.

Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 06:32 PM

Your welcome Dude, and that taco stand is one of my favorites!! By the way, nice touch, the table side Ipod music at Splash. So when ya coming back??

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-3-2013 at 07:33 PM

Love that Splash shrimp tempura---- I think the dipping sauce is the secret. Got a little horseradish thing going for it.
Love those north Baja reports, typing from k-38 now--- gracias for the report and pics!!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2013 at 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry28
Your welcome Dude, and that taco stand is one of my favorites!! By the way, nice touch, the table side Ipod music at Splash. So when ya coming back??

i dunno, been working 12 hour days in Yuma pouring concrete at 4am all this week. gonna do it all again in 2 weeks on the other hangar. structural steel arrives in 6 weeks.....

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2013 at 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry28

Terry
question for you, is this a rental of yours? we are always looking for some thing nice in that area,

ken/jane
mirko
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2013 at 10:49 AM

I, too, would like info on rentals at Gaviotas. I was there many years ago but can never find the place when I go south on the toll road out of TJ. I would like to spen a few days there if rentals are available. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mirko
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-4-2013 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mirko
I, too, would like info on rentals at Gaviotas. I was there many years ago but can never find the place when I go south on the toll road out of TJ. I would like to spen a few days there if rentals are available. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mirko

Get off the toll road at the Rosarito toll plaza. Follow the free road south to KM 42 or so, Las Gaviotas will be on your right

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-4-2013 at 11:59 AM

yes, it is a rental! and a damn nice one too!!!

mirko, you could also get off at cantamar and head north a few minutes.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.