Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Memorial Day 2013 Offroad Camping Trip
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-6-2013 at 09:02 PM
Memorial Day 2013 Offroad Camping Trip

It's been 3 years since a group of adventurous (and daring) 4-wheelers camped at the ruins of the Mision Santa Maria, overcoming various obstacles during that trip. My daughter and I were very fortunate to experience that ride and that night.

The magic of Baja is calling again, and Memorial Day weekend is just around the corner. I am open to something a little :-) easier than the Widowmaker, as long as there are Toyota and Dodge trucks to pull me back to civilization if my oversized offroad machine breaks down ;-) that's if field repair fails. I'm bringing the TIG welder ths time.

We have time to decide where (trails, camping sites) this adventure should lead us.
So, who's up to it?

I think CG is feeling the itch (if his calendar permits, of course).

[Edited on 4-7-2013 by edm1]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-7-2013 at 09:50 AM

;) We are thinking Shell Island this Memorial Weekend. If you have improved on the tires for the new motorhome, you should make it!

Memorial 2011:

BajaRob and Connie even delivered champagne!

Take only pictures... leave only tracks! :light:

[Edited on 4-7-2013 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 4-7-2013 at 10:55 AM

Shell Island?? Russ, are you thinking what I'm thinking??:yes:

edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2013 at 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
;) We are thinking Shell Island this Memorial Weekend. If you have improved on the tires for the new motorhome, you should make it!

A day or two at Shell Island is a welcome and great place for relaxation, and one could never be tired of it. Afterwards, I'm longing to go where I've never been before, maybe somewhere not too far away from Shell Island?

The motorhome now sports a set of custom-grooved set of tires. They are still motorhome tires but with deep grooves, not sipes. Besides, after the last "almost Shell Island" in 2011, I now carry a set of traction mats.

[Edited on 4-7-2013 by edm1]

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 4-8-2013 at 09:38 AM

How about the inland route below BOLA starting south at
28° 40.771'N 113° 25.554'W via Los Paradones, San Pedro (La Bocana), Tinaja Santa Maria and hike over the hills on the ECR, then continue to the main road and???

This is a nice area seldom traveled. What say edm1, DK?
Neal

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2013 at 10:11 AM

A few suggestions.

Have you been thru Mike's Sky Ranch and out to El Coyote lately. Have you been from Santa Maria south of San Quintin, east to El Cipres then south by Los Martires then maybe check out San Juan de Dios. Or perhaps south of Guayaquil to the coast at Punta Canoas and follow the coast down past San Jose and continue past all the secret surf spots to Santa Rosalillita. Maybe a trip to Playa Malarrimo via San Jose de Castro. If you feel like doing a noble cause clean up the road to San Juan de La Pilas from the San Ignacio side. Also the road from La Purisima/San Isidro to Mulege in either direction and then there is Timbabichi.
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2013 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
28° 40.771'N 113° 25.554'W via Los Paradones, San Pedro (La Bocana), Tinaja Santa Maria and hike over the hills on the ECR, then continue to the main road and???

Neal

I'm in! Neal, if your camper can make it, my mh probably can limp through :-)

edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2013 at 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
A few suggestions.

Have you been thru Mike's Sky Ranch and out to El Coyote lately. Have you been from Santa Maria south of San Quintin, east to El Cipres then south by Los Martires then maybe check out San Juan de Dios. Or perhaps south of Guayaquil to the coast at Punta Canoas and follow the coast down past San Jose and continue past all the secret surf spots to Santa Rosalillita. Maybe a trip to Playa Malarrimo via San Jose de Castro. If you feel like doing a noble cause clean up the road to San Juan de La Pilas from the San Ignacio side. Also the road from La Purisima/San Isidro to Mulege in either direction and then there is Timbabichi.

All sounds good! Never been to any of them. Thank you TW. I assume you know I drive a tricked out oversized 4x4 motorhome. If your full size Chevy pickup truck can navigate the given trails, my mh probably can limp through :-)

[Edited on 4-8-2013 by edm1]

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2013 at 01:30 PM

Your good to go then. I've been to them all in either my fullsize extended cab 91 chevy 4x4 or my extended cab 04 GMC Z71 except the coast road from Punta Canoas to San Jose and the La Purisima to Mulege, the latter I did last year in my Tacoma. The San Juan de La Pilas is a great trip once they get the road open. I'm leaving tomorrow for a 4x4 off road trip around Baja Sur with El Comandante Loco starting in San Ignacio.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2013 at 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns

Neal

Well, we can all drive to the Tinaja de Santa Maria, but as for a long distance hike over the desert mountains, that's another deal.

Here is the Golfo Camino Real from Tinaja de Santa Maria on north to San Borja... and the Sierra Camino Real (main El Camino Real)...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2013 at 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Well, we can all drive to the Tinaja de Santa Maria, but as for a long distance hike over the desert mountains, that's another deal.

Here is the Golfo Camino Real from Tinaja de Santa Maria on north to San Borja... and the Sierra Camino Real (main El Camino Real)...

Sounds good. Thanks for the map David. Never been to BoLA even.

How long a distance hike are we talking about?

[Edited on 4-9-2013 by edm1]

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 4-8-2013 at 08:54 PM

edm1,
From near the tinaja, the ECR across the hills is 0.8 miles, then if no one picks us up, it is another 1.3 miles across the flats north to the E/W road east of San Pedro/(La Bocana).
GPS from Google Earth (WGS 84 Datum)
Start hike: 28° 26.205'N 113° 19.704'W
Out of hills: 28° 26.910'N 113° 19.837'W
Road: 28° 27.995'N 113° 20.334'W

ECR is visible at Eye Alt 3300 feet on Google Earth (Scale about 500 feet)

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
neilm81301
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2013 at 04:20 PM
GE shows a 'road'...

... going SW from around San Francisquito over to El Arco (around 28-02N, 113-24W - is this the old half-way pt on the 1000?) - then 'Mex-18' goes from there out west to Hwy 1.

Has anybody tried this one? Need 4x4?

So many roads to explore! I need to retire & brush up on my Espanol!

Gotta drive these before they pave'em all.

Neil

[Edited on 4-9-2013 by neilm81301]
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2013 at 09:12 PM

We have Neal, DK, CG and I so far. Do you know anybody else who'd be interesed to join?

BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2013 at 10:10 PM

Memorial day I will be in Gonzaga, Punta Final to be exact...
russchung

[*] posted on 4-10-2013 at 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke

Use Shell Island as a base and do a day run to check out the condition of the road through Matomi Narrows??

If you don\'t like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2013 at 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by russchung
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke

Use Shell Island as a base and do a day run to check out the condition of the road through Matomi Narrows??

Right, a 3 day weekend is best if it isn't all driving just to get there and then go back. If you get bored relaxing on the beach, then do a run to Matomi if you like.

I just looked at the tide calendar and there is a full moon with high tides over 19' all 3 days... This means Shell Island will be a full island and require driving through sea water slimy mud to get onto at low tide (or 1 foot deep sea water at high tide).

Viewing the former (1980's) road and bridge onto the island during high tide, July, 2011:

edm-1 didn't quite make it, even with front and rear lockers. The nearby fishermen camp was a lifesaver!

Frigatebird
Nomad

Mood: Soaring

[*] posted on 4-10-2013 at 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
We have Neal, DK, CG and I so far. Do you know anybody else who'd be interesed to join?

Definitely considering.

I'm with DK on the avoidance of only playing chauffeur for my gear.

Avatar courtesy of Herb :tumble:
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2013 at 07:41 PM

I don't know about you guys but I have more than 3 days, enough to do the BoLA and San Pedro / Tinaja camping / hiking.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2013 at 03:44 PM

for those of you with a desire to offroad the motorhome, maybe time for an upgrade? :wow:

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.