Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: The Road to Asuncion
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-9-2013 at 07:51 AM
The Road to Asuncion

ASUNCION TRIP MARCH-APRIL 2013

1ST DAY. Co-Pilot and I had a very pleasant road trip from San Diego to the Tecate crossing via Hwy 94. Passed thru hamlets of Jamul, Dulzura, and Barret Junction. I changed a few hundred dollars to pesos at about 12-1 at a money kiosk on the US side.

We drove through the border entry at approximately 12:30 pm and entered Baja immediately with zero wait…never came to a stop. Got the green light with a fully packed pickup.

We then drove about 190 miles with a couple smell the flowers stops to overnight at JARDINES. No mishaps, no worries, no nighttime driving. Note: Co-Pilot’s tourist visa had been stamped two weeks earlier on a preliminary visit to Tecate immigration. Visa form & fishing license procurement courtesy of Discover Baja in San Diego.

The highway was in good shape with no major potholes on this first section of Hwy 1. Not at all what it was like...a long time ago...remember?

Images of Tecate March, 2013

For all hot dog lovers: I’m been enjoying some tasty hot dogs at this ‘Y’ stand for many years. Just north of the Guadalupe Bridge.

JARDINES

We arrive at our overnight stay at Las Jardines just a bit out of San Quintin. Truly an Green Oasis in an overwise dreary countryside.

Our gracious and smiling café hostess.

DINNER PICS

I liked this plaque décor.

For appetizers we choose SHRIMP c-ckTAILS….sooo good and almost a meal in themselves.

Our choices from a varied dinner menu were …. GARLIC SHRIMP, AND FISH VERACRUZ STYLE. Certainly no complaints here.

PRICES WERE….$33 ROOM, $34 DINNER (W/DRINKS, APPETIZERS, TIP) SAT TV, WI-FI, GOOD HOT WATER PRESSURE, COMFY BEDS AND PILLOWS. PLEASANT GARDEN SURROUNDINGS. COMP COFFEE MORNINGS.

End of Day 1.

I highly recommend a stay with dinner at Jardines!

To be continued:

[Edited on 4-10-2013 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2013 at 08:09 AM

Those shrimp really do look good.

Diane was right about this place. Looks like a winner. Your pictures show it off well, Roger.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2013 at 06:53 PM

Igor,

You haven't ate or stayed at Jardines?

Do yourself and favor and stay there, and eat at the restaurant too. We try and stay at least once on each trip south.

Ken
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2013 at 07:17 PM

Nice pictures of Jardines---- it really is a very different and special place. One needs to see it to believe it! Busy times, make reservation. If there is one weakness with the restaurant it is the acoustics --- not good, but the service and food make up for it!

If my sister is not at her Baja home, we now go back and forth between Jardines and the other hotel in the area we really like, the Hotel Mision Santa Maria on the beach.

Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 4-9-2013 at 09:59 PM

Great to see you headed south with co-pilot again Roger.

I tasted one of those shrimp c-cktails last week and it was the best I've ever had.

Jardines is awesome indeed!

[Edited on 4-10-2013 by Curt63]

No worries
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 4-10-2013 at 12:50 PM
I'll Bet You Are Happy to Be Back!

Where is Puente de Guadalupe? The one that crosses the giant riverbed in the Valle?

If that is the case, I'll visit the hot dog stand the next time we are going through the wine country.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2013 at 01:22 PM
Bahia Jardines to Asuncion

Day 2 of Trip - March 28th, 2013

After getting some tiny go-cups of hot coffee…(slight grrr here)… from the Jardines office Mr. Coffee, we headed out on the bumpy road taking us back to Hwy…1000 yards distant for those like exact mileages.

Getting underway quite easily from Jardines handy parking area. Never stumbled once getting to mi truck.

”Just living is not enough... one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower.”

The day was sunny and warming up mile by mile, which was very okay with me, as I had plenty…and enough already… of chilly and wet weather this past winter on the Oregon Coast. The hilly landscape was showing some signs of an early spring. Being a romantic at heart, this pastoral scene made me want to lay out a blanket and open the picnic basket, pour some good vino, cue the violin players, etc..

As I looked upon this wonderful scene, I said to Co-Pilot, “Just look at that flowering hillside, tesoro! I’ll bet it would smell like a mustard field in bloom..am I right? And NOTHING is more memorable than a smell. One scent can be unexpected, momentary and fleeting, yet conjure up a childhood summer beside a lake in the mountains. Ahhh…I love the country and it’s smells.”

To which she replied, “Yes, you are indeed so right, great thinker…and because you ate so many frijoles last night, would you please open your window? I would prefer the mustard, grazie.”

Cute. Well, we’ll just chalk that one up to brain smirking and drive on….

Early morning and rolling on the Baja Road. What could be better? Now was the time to repeat an old favorite Baja Road theme….“We’re burning daylight, Pilgrim!” So, not quite pedal to the metal, we buzzed right along, and soon came to El Rosario and the following familiar sights:

Mama Espinozas Café…we didn’t take time to stop as we were committed to making Bahia Asuncion before nightfall. Admittedly, even with the current trend of negative reporting about Mama’s old landmark café …the truth is I hate mayonnaise. Yuck…Pa-TOO-eee! But not to worry, Mama…we’ll pull in next time for a snack or a full-on feast.

Something new has been added to the El Rosario scene. There is now a Segundo’s market on the roadway heading south of town. Progress? I failed to spot a churros seller…dang…and Co-Pilot nixed the purchase of a baby crib.

Remember when the shooting happened at an El Rosario café like this one a few years back? Said to be drug-related, nevertheless it was…murder.

NO TIRE BASURA!

Just across the big new bridge south of El Rosario, I noticed that the large dumping ground still scars the countryside after all these years. Surely a job ‘waiting in the wings’, so to speak. Mucho basura marring the landscape. Lots of reasons for it happening and where, but it’s doable to clean up. Maybe Baja needs a Lady Bird Johnson or someone similar?

Climbing lots of tight curves into the nearby mountians, we come to a very familiar…Hector’s Memorial…dedicated to the trucker who lost his life at this spot so many years ago. May you rest in peace, Hector.

Shortly after that, with Hector’s demise still in our thoughts, we come rounded this curve to discover……Why You Do Not Exceed Your Driving Abilities.

Luckily nobody was a fatality in this rollover…except for a few hundred bales of fresh hay road kill...which was busily being loaded into another semi-trailer. A tow truck was standing by for it’s cue. Oddly, that wrecker reminded me of a patient vulture sitting in a tall palm tree above my hammock years ago…. Starve forever, you damn buzzard!

We came to our first Army checkpoint for arms and drugs. Luckily ours were of the legal prescription type…drugs, that is, I almost never carry my bazooka anymore.

The soldiers are getting more thorough every year and now work with some serious and highly trained sniffer dogs. And so….the handler of this one was a little miffed when Co-Pilot went ga-ga over him and mellowed it’s demeanor back to puppyhood.

My offer to throw a tennis ball was ignored but Co-Pilot taught the pooch to ‘shake’ before the soldier asked us to please leave.

LAND OF GIANT ROCKS AND STRANGE CACTUS

Now the terrain begins to change a bit, from mountain curves to rolling hills of huge rocks and all the various genre of cactus…like the famous boonjums…the cirios. I have my favorites, as do all of you, I’m sure.

Everyone knows this huge roadside rock near The Virgin of the Rocks. That rock is probably one of the most photographed on the Baja Road. (and the most graffiti painted!) I call it…’Big Boy’.

There was still some traces of recent rains in the arroyo just north of Catavina.

Catavina

When I stopped and let my loud Cummins diesel tell the story, this gasoline vendor was a mite disappointed.

And….GOTTA PESO was noticeably absent!

Jesus Maria…and Carmelita’s Tamales.

Now operated by Carmelita’s husband after her death a few years ago. Carmelita’s passing was a huge loss to Baja Road travelers and tourism. I am honored to have known her and called her mi amiga for many years.

These next 3 photos are from past trips and visits with Carmelita.

Carmelita’s husband and current operator of this famous tamale lady’s café.

Still the same order: ‘Three for the Road, por favor.’

The army depot at the GN stateline of Baja Norte and Baja Sur.

Going through the agricultural inspection station at GN, we were just waved on…no fee, no spray. We drove on with our contraband undetected….munch, munch, munch.

Straight stretch heading south from GN. A good place to watch out for a radar police car? Did not see a sign or any on this trip, though.

PEMEX AT VISCAINO. This is a great place to fill or top off your tanks..gasoline or diesel.

Viscaino’s windy streets. Dunno know why, but it’s always blowing around here. Dusty, too.

Whale skeleton at Asuncion turnoff/Viscaino.

Potholes on the Viscaino-Asuncion Road. Beware! 4 or 40 does not work here. My teeth are still chattering.

Sand drifts across the Asuncion pavement. Beware! Lawrence of Arabia would avoid these!

ASUNCION!

Aha! After a trouble-free, albeit slow, drive from Viscaino we arrive in Asuncion….our destination for the next month. What lies ahead of us, I wonder? New adventures in Baja…be still, my heart! (especially with my latest check @ 190/120)

Our Asuncion rental home for the next month. Courtesy of Udo and his decision to buy Jim & Laurie's beachfront casa. We get the honor of being the first renters. Nice digs, Udo. We'll take good care of it for you. DianeT's casa for sale next door is equally fine with some pretty landscaping.

Both have a million dollar view of the Pacific Ocean.

Stop by for a glass of vino or a cool brew.

The big sea lion island offshore of Bahia Asuncion.

At night in bed you can hear lots of barking from this island...along with the sounds of surf.

Speaking of night and sleep, I’m dead tired and am going to hit the hay right now with this nice sunset from the patio. Adios for now.

To be continued:

[Edited on 4-11-2013 by Pompano]

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2013 at 01:54 PM

fun as always,

but 190/120 yikes, are you kidding us
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 4-10-2013 at 01:57 PM

So glad you are in Asuncion! Wish we could be there at the same time as you. Hopefully some time our paths will cross.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2013 at 02:40 PM

great photos, as always !

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-10-2013 at 04:56 PM

Great photos, Roger!!

Hey...how do you post the words on the photographs?

BTW, Roger:

I just found out that DIRECTV has satellite internet. BIG BUT...
I have to get the internet access on ALL my receivers. I can not pick and chose the receiver that gets the service...such as the one that will be in BA.

ps. Now you know what I went through with wi-fi all over Baja on every trip I have made the last few years (from Ensenada to Cabo) The only place that there was reliable and fast internet was.................MAMA ESPINOZA'S!

Beautiful photos, buddy!
You know how to tell a great story with great photos.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 4-10-2013 at 06:25 PM

OK, I have Baja envy. JH
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 4-10-2013 at 06:42 PM

Thanks Roger, interesting

bacquito
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2013 at 06:42 PM

If I was in town I'd swing by! Looks like a great set up.

mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 4-10-2013 at 06:56 PM

that looks like a new co-pilot to me???....correcto???

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2013 at 07:22 PM

Thanks for the picture of our place --- good to see it is still there! Thanks for the comment about the landscaping. We have worked hard after construction to keep vehicles off the dunes in front so they could return to their natural state. I can't tell you how many people came by and wanted to "clean" (level) the dunes and create a driveway from the front road - We are quite protective of those beautiful dunes.

And the landscaping in the immediate front has been good --- with the help of our close friend and caretaker, the palms have done well as has the ice plant. She and her daughter surprised up with the shell border and we love it. OK, enough of that --- we look forward to getting back there!

ENJOY your trip as we are enjoying your travels.

acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 4-10-2013 at 07:36 PM

Great to see you on the road again! Happy Trails!!!

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
bigjohn
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2013 at 09:11 PM

I was going to say the same as Mulegemichael, that there appears to be a new co-pilot going from brunette to blond!! :bounce:
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 4-11-2013 at 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigjohn
I was going to say the same as Mulegemichael, that there appears to be a new co-pilot going from brunette to blond!! :bounce:

.....and a pickup instead of the motor home. Maybe something to do with the 190/120?

Bob Durrell
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2013 at 08:06 AM
New discovery!...Great beachfront cafe in Asuncion!

Got your appetite all ready? It's time for breakfast.

Upon awaking at Udo's beach casa in Asuncion after a long road trip from San Diego, we decided to take a quick street tour around town and acquaint ourselves with the layout and locals.

We drive by the easy-to-find Campo Sirena.

We bought some quick essential goods at the largest supermarket we could find on the main drag...and being famished and not wanting to cook at home, asked for recommendations on a good breakfast café...with an ocean view if possible?

The nice senorita pointed and said, "Si, senor..there is one such place just over there. You turn right..derecha.. on the next street and there it is! Easy, you will have no problems."

Hey, sounds like a great tip...and very easy to find for us newcomers.

Let's see, like the senorita said:...down the street just a bit, then ...right...towards the water, look to the right...and YUP...that's it with the tables, chairs, and umbrellas. So easy. Gracias to that senorita!

We park and walk over to an empty table and seat ourselves, saving a hearty Buenos Días to the friendly-looking waiter coming out to greet us.

I asked him if he could please take this photo with my camera. Such a nice man he was... and did a great job with the snapshot.

Wanting to get to know Asuncion and some new amigos, we introduced ourselves and shook hands. He then introduced himself as...'Johnny'..and said he had worked in Cabo for some time but now much preferred to be back in his home town of Asuncion. We agreed that Cabo was a little too crowded for us, also, and that this village was muy tranquillo and better suited for our vacation reasons.

I then asked for a cold Pacifico, but Johnny said he had only Tecate Light. Well, I usually drink Pacifico, but this waiter seemed so accommodating that I did not press the matter and we said Tecate Light would be okay. He brought us two very cold and delicious TLs.

Then asked if we needed anything to eat?

"Heck, yes", I said, "We're starving! What do you have?"

"How about some fresh-made ceviche?", Johnny says.

Hmmm? Ceviche for breakfast?? Well, why not?, I thought.

"Sure, ceviche sounds good, we'll have two, gracias."

Making the fresh ceviche on our table and right before our admiring eyes, Johnny quickly serves us up two nice vasos de ceviche....mmm, damn good!

I think Johnny could see that I had inhaled my cup of ceviche very fast and that I was probable still hungry for more, so our genial host made me what he called his own favorite way of eating ceviche....and a special treat for me...on a crisp tortilla with mayonnaise. As with the cup ceviche, this was VERY TASTY...muy sabroso! Gracias, Johnny. He then introduced his charming wife, who sat and visited with us. Some other family members came out and Johnny introduced them all one by one. I loved the way each one, including the smallest, came over to shake hands.

Even their family dog wanted to meet us... which Co-Pilot goes over to pet. We are already loving this café and it's charm.

Johnny says if we are still hungry, we can wait a bit for this fresh-caught fish to barbeque. I said it sounded wonderful, but we were full now...Llena, Gracias!

Well, that turned out to be a wonderful breakfast and we met some new amigos, too boot!

Now I asked for the check. "Y ahora necesito el cheque, Johnny?

I got the surprise of my life when Johnny said, "Check? Why? There is no check, you are our guests at our home.

I turned red and gulped, "HOME!? Home? Oh No! You mean this is not a café? Carumba!

Johnny laughs and says, "No, Rogelio, this is our beach place where we are having a family get-together today...and you are most welcome."

Hoo-boy...:wow: What an embarrassing moment that was! We all had a great laugh that day at Johnny's family beachfront spot...and I'm sure Johnny and family will be laughing about it for many years to come!

Embarrassing yes, but just another reason to visit Asuncion! The people will feed strangers even if you make mistakes and sit down at their table without an invite!

MUCHAS GRACIAS, JOHNNY AND SU FAMILIA! NEXT TIME, JOIN US AT MI CASA? :rolleyes: :yes: :yes:

Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.