BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Cruising the Bay of L.A.
Wiles
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 03:51 PM
Cruising the Bay of L.A.

Welcome back Nomads. Thanks for watching.

Yawn, Buenas dias. Looks for a great day for a cruise around the Bay. Vamos a Ver, ondele pues.

We decided to make a loop around the south of the bay. Here we go. Look to the top of the mountain in the background of this picture. Lots of us call this Mike's mountain. He is quite the story. He has long since passed. I hiked all 4,000ft of his mtn. w/ him. Many more have followed his trail since.

A different view of Mike's mountain.

Follow the birds to the action.

Sea Birds work their magic once again.

We came across a couple pulpo/octopus fisherman. "Hey amigos, toss us one"

Hey, we were just kidding. :lol::lol:

Well, after peeling off this critter and saving him for bait, we continue on.

Window rock is always a great picture opportunity on Isla La Ventana. I'm sure if you have visited the 15 offshore islands, you have taken a pic or two at this location.

Pictured here with my mentor & great friend Dr. Rafe Payne. Yes Memo Smith you have always been a great captain and amigo and deserve a thumbs up.

Rafe, how long has it been?

OK, on to Calaveras or Skull Island, home to many birds and sea lions, however oddly enough there were no lobos (sea lions). What's up with That?

Pulling into a great little cove on Coronado Island for some R & R.

Beyond the beach lies a small estuary with a stand of red mangroves. This is the northern most stand in the Sea of Cortez.

Got beach?

End of a wonderful day on the bay. What should we do tomorrow you ask? How bout a trip 10 miles into the desert and visit the remains of Las Flores? See you for coffee temprano en la manana.

[Edited on 4-17-2013 by Wiles]
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 04:21 PM

coronadito? at the north end of smith island? i guess i gotta look closer next time!

24baja
Senior Nomad

Mood: Wishing we were in BOLA

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 04:25 PM

Wiles thankss so much....we miss bahia in between trips.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 04:42 PM

Wow you are doing great with your photo-trip report posts! Thank you for the 'Baja feeling' they bring!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Wiles
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
coronadito? at the north end of smith island? i guess i gotta look closer next time!

Guess you do. No worries. Coronadito and Coronado are seperated by a very narrow channel (100 yards wide and 100feet deep). Fished it and dove it many, many times. Loved it when yellowtail would school through there at tidal changes.

Funny (or not) story when we anchored in the channel underneath the frigitbirds for a twilite dive to get some yellowtail. Dropped 65ft. only to see our anchor floating by. Learned some about tidal currents in that part of the gulf.

Cudos for all your reports from San Clemente & San Nick. Spent lots of years fishing and diving those islands. Never saw any surfers, only Navy seals & us.

Saludos
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 06:14 PM

Wiles,

Do you remember when we were in the inflatable just to the side of Coronado when a whale breached right next to us? It seemed like it was right above our heads. None of us took a photo, our eyes as big as dish pans. I remember thinking, "did that just happen?"

Just one memory of many, the summer of 81.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 06:18 PM

maybe i don't have all the names straight. i've circled coronadito (and pulled YT from that gap) and didn't see any mangroves. there is another island along the west side of smith that looks a cove unless you go all the way back in at high tide. i only was there once so i am surprised to see mangroves.

not trying say i know it all-can't wait to return for a better look.

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 06:24 PM

Quote:
maybe i don't have all the names straight. i've circled coronadito (and pulled YT from that gap) and didn't see any mangroves. there is another island along the west side of smith that looks a cove unless you go all the way back in at high tide. i only was there once so i am surprised to see mangroves.

Woodster,

You've got to go find the secret mangrove spot on your own, dude...best kept mangrove secrets are like those surf spots - need to be discovered without being lacquered all over the internet.:lol:
No fair private messaging David K for gps coordinates!
P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 06:41 PM

yeah, you're right. i promise to never pm DK....

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 06:51 PM

Wiles, thanks for taking us along on that trip. I drove by BOLA for years until recently and have now realized the treasure it is.

yellowklr
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 07:27 PM

Quote:

Smith aka Coronado

Derek
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 09:44 PM

Quote:
maybe i don't have all the names straight. i've circled coronadito (and pulled YT from that gap) and didn't see any mangroves.

It's the last cove, when you go from North to South, along the West coast of Smith. Narrow entrance, easy to miss, but don't get upset if you do. Windy. Not sheltered from North. Yes, mangroves, small ones.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2013 at 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina

Woodster,

P>*)))>{

Somehow I don't think that will happen. :no:
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 07:41 AM

How long did it take you to make around all the islands, Wiles?

Just as a point of reference in case I want to do the same thing in my wind/paddle/pedal Hobie kayak.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 07:53 AM

No need to ask me, just use Google Earth and look for yourselves... and the GPS (WGS84) waypoint is provided where-ever you point your mouse. :wow::yes:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 07:54 AM

Love that place. Looking forward to more, more, more.:coolup:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
Wiles
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 10:54 AM

Quote:
Wiles,

Do you remember when we were in the inflatable just to the side of Coronado when a whale breached right next to us? It seemed like it was right above our heads. None of us took a photo, our eyes as big as dish pans. I remember thinking, "did that just happen?"

Just one memory of many, the summer of 81.

P>*)))>{

Paulina,

How could I not remember? That was so awesome.
Wiles
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Woodster,

You've got to go find the secret mangrove spot on your own, dude...best kept mangrove secrets are like those surf spots - need to be discovered without being lacquered all over the internet.:lol:
P>*)))>{

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Wiles
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

Just as a point of reference in case I want to do the same thing in my wind/paddle/pedal Hobie kayak.

Udo,

We left the ramp at 7:30 a.m. and returned at 2:30 p.m. We saw several kayakers on and around Coronado/Smith Island. I believe they drove up to Punta La Gringa to launch and paddled the mile or so crossing to Smith. Also see paddlers inside the sand spitz and further south towards La Mona.

Be advised of strong afternoon winds and currents.

Hope this helps.

Wiles
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-18-2013 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

Circling in a motor boat is one thing, paddling is another. Hobie is not a fast one. Also, depends where you launch. Count on one island per day. Going to the island, lunch stop, going back. But there are only 2 camp-able islands, others are basically "rocks", though you can get lucky and find a small strip to land, IF the tide is low, and IF it's not windy, because those won't be sheltered. So, to answer your question - 2 days of a good weather. It will make you 3 times longer to reach the island if you have to fight the current, and you will get stuck on the island if wind suddenly (but not unusually for these places) will pick up to a gale force.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.