Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Loreto 6/10-6/15
aguachico
Senior Nomad

Mood: logic cannot get thru to the illogical

[*] posted on 6-19-2013 at 09:06 AM
Loreto 6/10-6/15

The plan was to fish mon-thur. Towed down saturday and arrived Sunday Afternoon.

Day one, with a hired skipper: Plan was fish outside in the grass for dodos, teaching Mari how to flyline. Made bait. Big macs.
South wind made it impossible to get there. Went back to the YT grounds for a proper skunking.

Day two, no skipper: Plan was to buy bait sardinas with a net caster. Caster got sardines and brown baits.
Hit the YT grounds first. then wanted to go outside. Watched people catch fish, but the YT were not interested in brown baits.
Started grinding the 7x at 200ft. Snag the bottom. Skipper from the day before pulls next to me and gets two yt.. on big macs.
Mari is not happy. Wait for him to move to unsnag the 7x. A few cranks off the bottom, I'm on. Hand the rod to Mari. She gets killed.
I finish it off. Good thing cause the jig fell when I gaffed it.

So then I wanted to see what it looked like outside. It was bad. Didn't get past the point of carmen. On the way out I spot sargasso.
I told Mari we would practice flylining a bait. Throwout a sardina. Leave her in the stern. She yells she's bit. Yeah right. I go over and sure enough.
she's bit. I set the hook and hand her back the rod. Nice hen, her fist.

Day three, no skipper: buy big macs. Off the the yT grounds. Nothing, even the experts were getting skunked. I picked up a dinner.
cross this off the bucket list.

The we tried going back to where we got the dodo the day before. Mari starts crying about the swell. I was peeed.
Shipping her back on the bus. I go in. Drop her in the pool. Start rigging for offshore. Talked to Chava, he'll go with me.
I got one more day left.

Day four: with Chava. We go to a spot to make perfect mini macs. Load up the tank and off we go. We head dead north, everyone else heads east.
Find some grass. Kill some dodos. Then sails, then a bull. Sail, dodos. as we work our way north. 1030, let's get off the water before
the wind comes from the south. duck behind Coronado and cruise at 5000rpm's 32 MPH burning 13 gallons per hour.

I get back to the casita and inform Mari I'm fishing for two extra days. Orale!

Day 5 and six. Much of the same. Hooked and lost a Marlin. Need to throw the right gear, hook and not let it get sideways. Next time.
My first marlin was in Loreto 4 years ago, so at least it's been done.

We ended up fishing a highspot for most of the last two days. Day 5 we were alone, day 6 it was crowded... with 10 other boats.

Packed up teh same day and left Loreto ay 7pm. Guerrero at 2am. 7am to 7pm to San Ysidro. 8 inpections from Loreto to San Diego.
I was very happy. Since a week before I blew an injector and had it fixed $$$. So I had to extend the trip 2 days just to get my fish on!
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 6-19-2013 at 09:29 AM

Great trip!

No worries
Loretana
Senior Nomad

Mood: alegre

[*] posted on 6-19-2013 at 10:14 AM

EXCELLENT report, Aguachico......it's nice your lady got some good fishing in, too. :yes:

"If you want to find the secrets of the universe, think in terms of energy, frequency and vibration."
-Nikola Tesla
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 6-19-2013 at 12:01 PM

Looks like a great trip Art. Fuel burn is right where mine is.
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2013 at 12:26 PM

Great report, Art!
The most impressive part is that to squeeze in one more day you left Loreto at 7:00 p.m. towing your boat to arrive in Guerrero Negro at 2:00 a.m. after a day on the water fishing. And, then back on the road early the next morning and on to the border.
That is hard core!
Glad you had a good trip. It has been a little scratchy for people who are out every day, but you did just fine.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 6-19-2013 at 04:08 PM

:lol:Hard core for sure,we used to leave Huntington Bch right after work on fri drive all nite arrive at Bola the next morning fish all day collapse,drink a few beers collapse again,hit it Sunday same routine,Monday was a little different fished all day left late drove all nite and be at work early tuesday:lol:

But that was 50 years ago and MaMa stayed home with the kids
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 6-19-2013 at 07:53 PM

Nice fish!

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2013 at 08:34 PM

what an amazing collection of fish ! wow !!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.