Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Shell Island June 13-17 2013
hayb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2013 at 12:02 PM
Shell Island June 13-17 2013

Our group made annual trip to Shell Island June 13-17. We saw one jeep and two ATV’s in five days of beach camping. The weather was perfect 70-98 F, mostly perfect with cold cervezas. The water temp was around 80 F. The wind speed around 10 mph average with occasional wind guest to 20mph. The nights were cool enough for campfires and s’mores. All of our vehicles made through sand excursions with lowered air pressure (20 psi). Fishing with light tackle gear was great fun. As David K noted on his trip report the water temp was little cool for him. Well two weeks later the water felt like a bath water. Our kids were in the water often and for long periods at a time. Looking forward to next year’s trip! Here are some trip pictures.

I had intentions of adding captions to each pictures but it takes too much time for me.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2013 at 01:18 PM

your pictures are so cool ! what an awesome vacation you/your kids had ! glad the water warmed up, amazing how 2 weeks can make a world of difference.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 6-21-2013 at 01:24 PM

That looks like an absolutely great time for all! Thanks for sharing.

John

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 6-21-2013 at 01:48 PM
SHELL ISLE.

Great photos of a great time and not one picture of a TOYOTA
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-21-2013 at 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
Great photos of a great time and not one picture of a TOYOTA
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That's what I was gonna say. I'm sure it's coming.
:lol::lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-22-2013 at 08:49 AM

Wonderful photos of a family beach vacation, and I forgive you for not posting Toyota pictures, lol!

Shell Island is a great Baja Nomad camping location: You are on your own, it takes a little bravery to drive to it, and you have fun when you are there!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

hayb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2013 at 10:26 AM

Wife and I are planting seedlings for future Baja travelers.

I used own a Toyota truck and they are very capable 4WD. However for a 5-6 day beach camping trip like this, we are carrying quite a lot of supplies to be self sufficient. Two fully loaded 150 qt coolers each weighing at least 150 lbs ea, also takes couple of gorillas to unload them. Around 35 gal of water and large picnic table. This trip consists of packing 1/3 of my garage, someday I'll learn to pack lighter and smaller (no kids). One year I even brought the ATV, it did make driving in sand little difficult and it was just too much crap to bring. As you can see below it was ridiculous and never again! As David K points out it does take bit of bravery to drive on soft sand I agree. But if done correctly (air down tires) it is very doable for most 4WD's.

One feedback on air supply if any of you are thinking about using it. For the first time I tried to use a electric pump (HD one connects to battery), well I think it just takes too long for my taste. I am going to stick with CO2 bottle in the future and keep the electric one for backup. It took me at least 50 minutes to pump up my load range E tires to 55 psi. It takes around 15 min with CO2 bottle.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2013 at 02:09 PM

Not just the sand but through the mud and even sea water, sometimes!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

nbacc
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-22-2013 at 10:29 PM

How fun!!!! Family memories that never go away.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2013 at 12:43 AM

Did you encounter any signs of global warming over there?

That area has been the target of some groundbreaking research on the subject.
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 6-23-2013 at 01:08 AM

looks fun;D

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2013 at 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Did you encounter any signs of global warming over there?

That area has been the target of some groundbreaking research on the subject.

:light::cool:

The beach is still there and still is a barrier island. But, as mentioned so often by the 666 goat; the beach is dynamic... So what about the hardpan salt and mud flats between the island and the Baja desert?

Yes, actual physical observation over the past 50+ years... a salt flat that gets flooded during lunar high tides, but is otherwise dry... would be flooded more often or always if the sea level was rising, in our lifetime... wouldn't you think?

John W. Hilton ('Hardly Any Fences') describes it as it was in the late 1950's, on pages 61-65... and it is that way still in 2013.

Another Baja example more of you may know, and that is the old Baja main road, along Bahia Concepcion. In a couple places, like at El Coyote, the old road is covered by high tide a few inches, on rocks (not dynamic sand)... as it was in the 1960's when I first went over the old Baja road.

Here is the old road in use, in 2007... as it was in 1966:

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2013 at 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Yes, actual physical observation over the past 50+ years... a salt flat that gets flooded during lunar high tides, but is otherwise dry... would be flooded more often or always if the sea level was rising, in our lifetime... wouldn't you think?

I don't think. I muse. I let the educated do the thinking and use their knowledge. No different than the carburetor you bought and installed in your truck.

The information on rising sea levels is everywhere if you are sincerely curious.
hayb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2013 at 10:09 AM

Not touching the climate thing, leaving that subject to the educated experts and the politicians.

My group will try to affect the earth little as possible. Always leave with more trash on departure.

However we did drink more beers per day, does that count for any sort of climate change?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2013 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

I don't think. I muse. I let the educated do the thinking and use their knowledge. No different than the carburetor you bought and installed in your truck.

The information on rising sea levels is everywhere if you are sincerely curious.

My truck has EFI.... I haven't seen a carburator since the 70's LOL!

hayb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2013 at 08:13 PM

let me try to change subject back to good times.

I did find something very useful for fishing in the future and no need to bring bait ever again. In the back side of the bay you may have noticed that I was carrying a red container in one of the pictures. It contains ghost shrimps, lots of them for fishing. I was messing around with my kids in the inlet side and noticed lots of little holes in the sand/mud and all this time I thought they were crabs but to my surprise they were ghost shrimps. Most excellent bait for fishing.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 6-23-2013 at 09:53 PM

Great photos! What a great place for a family adventure.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hayb
let me try to change subject back to good times.

I did find something very useful for fishing in the future and no need to bring bait ever again. In the back side of the bay you may have noticed that I was carrying a red container in one of the pictures. It contains ghost shrimps, lots of them for fishing. I was messing around with my kids in the inlet side and noticed lots of little holes in the sand/mud and all this time I thought they were crabs but to my surprise they were ghost shrimps. Most excellent bait for fishing.

Do you have one of those suction tubes I have seen used to get the shrimp?

Any luck catching fish like corbina or croaker? If not, go to either end of the island and try at the lagoon entrance on the incoming tide to the high tide. In the days before we camped on Shell Island, we fished at the south entrance point of the Bahia Santa Maria bay (before that camp existed)...

Mom with a double hook up of corbina, 1967.

Shrimp boat blown inland during the 1967 hurricane, in the back bay between Bahia Santa Maria and Shell Island. It was striped down to just the motor (Franklin) and transmission, over the many years they gave up trying to return it to the sea.

[Edited on 6-24-2013 by David K]

hayb
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 07:52 AM

I don't have one of those suction tubes but did have a shovel which worked well enough. Next year I may bring or make one for the trip.

Nice pole and attire! Cool pictures of double hookup! Man your roots of Baja goes way back in time. I didn't catch corbina large as that but did catch dozen or so at this location. I am just glad I don't need to bring anymore smelly squid bait in my cooler.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 07:58 AM

Thanks for all the great photos. Looks like a blast.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.