Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: San Pedro Martir - Corona - Expedition Report
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 6-26-2013 at 03:29 PM

Wow, kudos for attempting it!

I remember looking at the road from the top 20 years ago and it looked impassable even then...I think the road was built before the 60's though---I've heard a few stories of Sierra Club trips going up that old road during that time.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 6-26-2013 at 04:19 PM

10 years ago, I considered the trip, but I didn't have the kind of vehicle that could handle such terrain.

Rancho Viejo - Venado Blanco - Sierra San Pedro Martir

Near the Observatory Road - Sierra San Pedro Martir

[Edited on 6-27-2013 by Ken Cooke]

Tjmarco

[*] posted on 6-26-2013 at 08:27 PM

I cant see the pics,????
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2013 at 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tjmarco
I cant see the pics,????

I'm having the same problem. David will fix it when he sees it.

Welcome to BajaNomad.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 6-26-2013 at 09:24 PM

I just right-clicked on the box where the image is supposed to be---choose " Open image in new tab" and you'll get an image on a separate page. Or wait for David to fix it.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 6-26-2013 at 10:17 PM

Dude,
The old road to corral de Sam area is closed for a reason. It is a national park and that area is for low impact hiking use only - not for off road vehicles. Unless the park has changed land use plans, it seems very uncool to be reopening old abandoned roads. Just saying,...
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2013 at 12:32 AM

In the SSPM, unless there is a large gate across the road, it is not closed.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-27-2013 at 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
In the SSPM, unless there is a large gate across the road, it is not closed.

It is a historic road built well over 50 years ago for the logging industry,that never went into business cutting tress there (nice, in the case of Baja). The road is on maps and not gated closed. Emerson is a Mexican citizen, and from what he told me, did contacts to make sure he was not disrespecting anyone.

Like Ken Cooke and I, Emerson and friends are just avid four wheelers trying to enjoy the outdoors with Jeeps and Toyotas. See Ken Cooke's photos of the abandoned Pole Line Road trips, or mine of the Mission Santa Maria trips as being the same type of expeditioning on abandoned (no longer maintained) roads.

As for the photos, I asked Doug to help open them here so one doesn't have to click each link to view them in a separate window.... and maybe size them to 800 pixels or less wide, so the whole page isn't distorted...

Emerson, place tags [img] and [/img] on each side of the photo link to make it appear on the page. Your photo hosting site may have a link for each of your photos with those tags already in place. I use Photobucket.com and they have an IMG link for posting photos on forums. First, when uploading to Photobucket from your PC, click the Customizing your Upload Options and select a size that fits Nomad's 800 pixel width.

Excellent off road adventure and report. Sounds like you respected the land as you enjoyed it.:light:

edit: seems like most of the photos are now open on the page... ?

MAPS:

1962 with today's sites pointed out (before observatory, before Mike's Sky Rancho) showing road to Corral de Sam (what Emerson was on):

1972 showing road to Corral de Sam and a trail on to the observatory road (Mike's Sky Rancho is incorrectly located too far southeast). Rancho Concepcion is today's Baja Dark Skies Inn resort which has a newer road built south to the observatory road:

1974 AAA Map shows the road Emerson was on as the route to the observatory (but not the main observatory road, built by 1970):

[Edited on 6-27-2013 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2013 at 09:09 AM

That must have been an E ticket trip. Thanks for sharing.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2013 at 02:57 PM

Welcome to Baja Nomad, Marco! :bounce:

astrobaja
Senior Nomad

Mood: beam me up

[*] posted on 6-28-2013 at 08:26 PM

David K-- "respected the land???" You know exactly what they did after turning back from the park. You know very well that they trespassed through our property even after giving me assurances (via e-mail) that he would NOT!

Mr. E Rodriquez as we told you up in the park later that night (while we were doing public outreach with my scope for the public) obviously we have changed the codes.-- it goes without saying I hope that you are not welcome back...

this is my first and last post about it
You guys keep it up eventually the military is just going to come in again and make it unpassable via explosives....

\"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened\"

Douglas Adams

our website: http://bajadarkskies.com
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 6-28-2013 at 09:07 PM

OOPS! And some wonder why, they can't do that anymore.
Astro, I completely support decision. Lie to your face and post it here. WOW!!!

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2013 at 09:25 PM

Mike, I guess I missed what they did wrong. You have told us Nomads that if given advanced notice, 4WD clubs (or in this case, a couple vehicles) are welcome to pass through your ranch. I gave Emerson that info. Did he not contact you? They didn't damage anything did they? I hope this doesn't mean four wheelers aren't welcome just for driving on old roads nearby.

[Edited on 6-29-2013 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2013 at 10:53 PM

Astro - This is too bad that this group (Emerson?) trespassed through your property. I hope that this issue can be worked out without there being additional ramifications affecting those of us who have yet to see your corner of the Sierra de San Pedro Martir.

Emerson
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2013 at 05:21 PM

I deleted the initial post,
I will just apologize if I disrespected any of the members; Its not my intention to do so; the events that AstroBaja mentioned was a result of a incorrect decision I took based on the circumstances in that specific time, its not a excuse, I still take responsability for what I lead my team to do.
Once again, Im sorry if I caused any trouble during or after our trip.

-Emerson.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-29-2013 at 05:41 PM

How can we as NOMADS come to any conclusion when we don't really know what happened?

I respect and appreciate "Emerson's" apology, and the taking of responsibility, but I say again it is tough to even agree or disagree with AstroBaja when we don't know what happened, other than some sort of trespass or violation of Astro's property rights.

I am not going to assign any blame until I know the facts, but certainly wish for an equitable settlement, for all our sakes.

(I missed Emerson's "initial post").

Barry
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2013 at 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Emerson
I will just apologize if I disrespected any of the members; Its not my intention to do so; the events that AstroBaja mentioned was a result of a incorrect decision I took based on the circumstances in that specific time, its not a excuse, I still take responsability for what I lead my team to do.

-Emerson.

I am sure you and Astro Baja can work this out without there being a big problem in the future. We have all had lapses of judgement that have angered people from our adventures (misadventures?) while down in Baja.

I remember when I borrowed a trailer to rescue my Ford Ranger up in the Sierra de San Pedro Martir from Nomad 'Desert Bull' and when I returned it, the thing was hardly in the condition that he loaned it to me. I told him that I would remedy the situation, and after some time, I replaced the tire and wheel that I destroyed. I never fixed the brake line that my Brother cut due to the wheel locking up.

Upon return, Nomad 'Desert Bull' was disappointed, but I think he understood. He really helped me when I needed somebody's help, and I am still thankful for the help me provided me at that time.

At El Caņon de Guadalupe, he actually laughed when I showed him the wheel that I destroyed off of his once pristine trailer! I thought he might be a little angry, but he thought it was a funny thing to look at, and he showed some of his friends!

Dan looking at the mess of wires, the missing tire, and the broken steel wheel!

The crew from San Telmo that stepped up and got us back on the road! The guys worked for cold sodas (and beer), and we were happy to empty out the ice chests for their hard work.

[Edited on 6-30-2013 by Ken Cooke]

[Edited on 6-30-2013 by Ken Cooke]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2013 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Emerson

-Emerson.

I hope that it will be reposted... It was a wonderful off road expedition... thank you for the short time you shared it and I hope AstroBaja will accept your apology someday.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2013 at 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
How can we as NOMADS come to any conclusion when we don't really know what happened?

I respect and appreciate "Emerson's" apology, and the taking of responsibility, but I say again it is tough to even agree or disagree with AstroBaja when we don't know what happened, other than some sort of trespass or violation of Astro's property rights.

I am not going to assign any blame until I know the facts, but certainly wish for an equitable settlement, for all our sakes.

Barry

Awesome photos of a Jeep and two Toyotas climbing up the old road to Corral de Sam, only to be halted by a major gully up in the pine forest. Like the Rubicon area, it was beautiful. Barry, the value of reading Nomad daily (if possible) is to see some wonderful outdoor adventures! ;)

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2013 at 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

Barry

Awesome photos of a Jeep and two Toyotas climbing up the old road to Corral de Sam, only to be halted by a major gully up in the pine forest. Like the Rubicon area, it was beautiful. Barry, the value of reading Nomad daily (if possible) is to see some wonderful outdoor adventures! ;)

I also enjoyed the insight provided by a Jeep owner from across the border. It is hard to collect information such as this when I live 100 mi. north of La Frontera.

Barry - You missed a great Baja Nomad gem of an Off-Road article...:(

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.