Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mini-Summit 1994 B1K
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2013 at 12:03 PM
Mini-Summit 1994 B1K

In the 1994 Baja 1000 the race started and finished in Mexicali. North of San Felipe there was a loop within the race loop and it used the Mini-Summit as it was called. It is where the power lines go up and over. I don't think it has been passable for several years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFcU1NTxWKU&feature=youtu...
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2013 at 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
In the 1994 Baja 1000 the race started and finished in Mexicali. North of San Felipe there was a loop within the race loop and it used the Mini-Summit as it was called. It is where the power lines go up and over. I don't think it has been passable for several years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFcU1NTxWKU&feature=youtu...

===
Thanks for the link.
The track pretty much was destroyed by Nora in '97
PaulW

[Edited on 8-4-2013 by PaulW]
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2013 at 04:56 PM
Mini Summit try

Another PaulW Story
In April 2010 I got a call from SCORE with a request to report on the Mini Summit condition. So I cranked up the Bronco and headed north. I had previously driven the approach for the east and did not have time to see if it was passable, So this time I tried from the west.
My Report:
Mini Summit, Apr 2, 2010
Its a full fledged disaster. Let me explain.
The east side was destroyed by hurricane Nora in about '97.

Anyway, I truly believe it is fixable. For sure a Back Hoe will be
required to take material - dirt and lots of rocks - from the up
hillside and fill up the holes.

Here is my story
Nice drive from Villa Ddel Sol Rd to the summit. Lots of erosion
heading east of the summit. I stacked rocks to make it passable for 1/3 mile which took 2.5 hours. Nice exercise.
Then I was able to drive for another 0.07 miles and I saw the heavy damage. There was even a car piled up on the side of the bank. See the attached pictures.

Took me a half hour to get turned around on the narrow track. I lost count on my 3 point turns. All went well and I was able to climb back up the darn thing. I had to do reconstruction on the way up where the road is narrow and started to collapse. No issue I saw it coming and just backed off and stacked more rocks to get over the huge obstacle rock. I had driven beside it on the way down with no issue, but on the way up I could not make the required tight turn.

Looking N to Mex3 in the distance from the Powerline approach

Looking up to the summit

Looking up hill

Looking down the drop off

Looking back from below

Then I turned around and look down - easterly

Looking easterly toward the bottom and a pretty good track.

Here are the words from my previous post that gives the cords.
"Mini Summit" Alternate names are "Telegraph Pass" & "Power line pass". ##
Summit is N31.17794W115.14175.
Major drop-off is at N31.17558W115.13389
From 2 poles, Hwy5 K166/7 N31.22260W114.94805, follow race track SW or W to power line NW - summit - to Villa del Sol Rd.

Since hurricane Nora - Impassable for normal rigs. In 2011 3 Jeeps made the crossing with extensive use of winches (E to W). Several hardy moto guys have made the crossing in the last few years (W to E). Summit is reachable from the west by following the metal powerline from Villa del Sol road. Good drive.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 11:15 AM

Wow, thanks Paul. I haven't seen it for almost 20 years.
N2Baja
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 01:18 PM

Awesome video TW; thanks for posting it. Great follow up Paul, that looks like one heck of a trip!

Forget about the danger and think of the fun.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 01:21 PM

next years X games enduroX course?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-6-2013 at 12:30 AM

Hey Paul... I love your posts and photos...!

Since you been around San Felipe for a while, perhaps you (or anyone else) can solve a mystery?

What happened to 'burro bob', who lived at the entrance to El Cajon Canyon (at least back in 2004 when I met him). His last post here on Nomad was on Oct. 9, 2007:

"When you get to a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra
A goog quote for adventure travel anywhere.
buro bob

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
burro bob
Nomad

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 08:14 AM

Thanks, No hope about Burro B ob. Next winter I will inquire
PW
===
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Hey Paul... I love your posts and photos...!

Since you been around San Felipe for a while, perhaps you (or anyone else) can solve a mystery?

What happened to 'burro bob', who lived at the entrance to El Cajon Canyon (at least back in 2004 when I met him). His last post here on Nomad was on Oct. 9, 2007:

"When you get to a fork in the road, take it" Yogi Berra
A goog quote for adventure travel anywhere.
buro bob

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
burro bob
Nomad

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.