Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: 9 day trip to the Pacific coast
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 9-15-2013 at 08:08 PM
9 day trip to the Pacific coast

Took a 9 day trip to Pacific at the end of August. Had a great time, even though we got skunked in the fishing department; so, sorry no pictures of any BIG fish :). Biggest was a 15" +/- Jacksmelt :barf:, then a few 6-8" Halibut we let go to get bigger.

Weather was variable some foggy days some sunny days, and then a little after midnight on Sunday the 25th it started to rain on us. No fun since the tents had come down to help make packing up in the morning easier. All 5 of crammed into the shade structure….but rain still blew in the sides. We usually try to drive home in two days with a stop in the Rancho Martires area, south of El Rosario; but with everything being wet and rain still falling when we hit the pavement, we drove all the way home in a day. It rained all the way to just south of TJ and helped to wash some of the mud off. Amazingly all the military checkpoints were open in the rain, but they basically just asked the usual "where have you been"…..saw our camping gear, and let us go.

Border wait was 2 hours at 11:30PM on Sunday to 1:30 AM on Monday! And they sent me to Secondary for an additional 45 minutes to take our “pork products”. And even though the guy who sent me to Secondary, said they would only do the Ag-inspection, the Secondary person made me pull a bunch of stuff out of the truck, pop the hood, walk around with the dog….. She did find several leftover partially filled bottles of alcohol we had brought from home, but did she did not take them even though she chastised me by saying “We don’t care if you brought it from home, as soon as it crosses the border it’s ‘international alcohol’. You can only have one liter.“. :rolleyes:

Only had two vehicles stop by our camp the entire week, all fisherman from Punta Blanca. Once on our first night when they stopped by on their way into town, and they asked for a couple of sodas and cervezas for the drive; and on our last day (the rainy one) when two different guys stopped by to see if we had any lighters; we of course gave them several as well and most of our left-over sodas, cervezas and some food.

Only vehicle issue was a flat tire, that took 4 plugs to patch….no way was I going to put on the spare in the rain. We discovered it when we stopped by a La Virgen Shrine to give thanks for a fun trip. While cleaning off some of the mud I heard a hisssssss. Just as I was finishing up the plug the same guys we saw on the first day in camp drove by on their way back to Punta Blanca. As is the Baja tradition, they asked if we needed help, but as I was just about done we said all was good.

Here was our shade house on a foggy day. Experimenting with the filter settings on the new camera..

Can’t be good for this old Ford…..Fishermen towing their Panga back to camp at the end of the day.

This Pelican stopped by hoping for a handout. He let us walk really close to him.

Feeding Dolphins, right in front of us

Riding the waves. This size was considered big during our week.

Another

A new sport Stand up Kayaking (aka: SUK)

Set up the “Coyote Cam” again this year. It’s a wildlife camera by Cuddeback

Saw this sleeping guy during a road trip to Punta Blanca. He apparently did not hear us drive up

Blue Boy

Here we are after crossing San Jose Canyon. We were worried it might be full of water, but just a lot of slippery mud.

And a sunset to end it

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2013 at 08:17 PM

Great stuff...can't wait to blast off next week with the kids.

Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 9-15-2013 at 08:24 PM

Nice report. Good Trip. Thanks

No worries
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2013 at 09:06 PM

Thank you for the report and taking the time and effort to post the pics too.

P>*)))>{

[Edited on 16-9-2013 by Paulina]

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2013 at 09:19 PM

Very nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

Punta Blanca, is that where the photos were taken?

DocRey
Nomad

Mood: Cautiously Optimistic

[*] posted on 9-15-2013 at 09:30 PM

Very cool. Thx.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 06:05 AM

Great, thanks for the pixs and report. Punta Blanca is one of my favorite fishing spots. As to the alcohol at the border, I was told it didn't make any difference which side it was purchased on you can take only so much back per person. But like you she let me keep my extra with a promise not to do it again. Now we give it away before getting to the border.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
Very nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

Punta Blanca, is that where the photos were taken?

Only the sleeping coyote was taken in Punta Blanca during a day trip for a change in scenery. The rest are from a secret spot along the secret stretch of coast known as the 7 sisters ;)

But based on this trip, there's no fish, no waves cool water, and rain; so no reason to really drive 1,000 miles anyway...... :lol:

[Edited on 9-16-2013 by Taco de Baja]

-Herbert Spencer
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 07:15 AM

thanks for the report...the sleeping coyote shot was my favorite!!! great pics....we have had more fog this year than usual...todays fishers bailed because of fog...dang. A new sport is born SUK...stand up kayaking!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 07:37 AM

Few more details on the trip:

The storm and rain that hit us early Sunday was apparently from the far reaches of TS IVO. We likely got around 1/2" rain by the time we left ~11 hours after it started. Roads weren't too bad except for a very steep hill with large cobbles that is a PITA even in dry conditions....The FJ almost did not make 1t up. Think greased ball bearings the size of tennis and bowling balls, deep ruts, and tires packed with mud. Our vehicles were splattered with lots of mud, but most got washed off in the constant rain all the way to TJ. The undersides, however were packed with mud, sand, and gravel on the frames, springs, axles and everyplace else under the trucks. . I'm sure San Diego appreciated us adding sediment to the streets to wash out and replenish the vanishing beach sand.

Packing up is the rain is something I really don't want to do again. Only bonus was it was 75 degrees, so I did it in a bathing suit, no shirt....I was wet anyway, so what the heck.

El Rosario was a complete mud pit by the time we got there at 5:30. Lots of people out though despite the rain. Same for all the towns between El Rosario and Ensenada. You'd have thought it was Saturday night on a warm summer evening. In addition, although I generally try to avoid driving in the dark in Baja (aside from early mornings on the Toll Road), I really can't recommend driving at night in the rain....Some scary moments with slow trucks weaving all over the road to avoid potholes [or maybe they were drunk] making passing a very dicey option; in addition to having to keep an eye out for the usual nuts who pass on blind hills and corners . :O

Water temps were cool when we arrived ~62 F, but warmed up through the week and got up to an acceptable 68-70 F.

[Edited on 9-16-2013 by Taco de Baja]

-Herbert Spencer
brewer
Nomad

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 08:51 AM

Nice trip report. We caught some IVO on the east side, it was a mess. A couple days later it was all patched up and fine.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 09:01 AM

Thanks Brooks, a real nice report, considering it comes from a trip to "you know where" and you don't want to get yelled at by "you know who"!

:cool:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 10:12 AM

thanks brooks! report well done....
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 02:56 PM

Nice pics Brooks...bummed I couldn't make it this year but not entirely sad i missed out on the rain and mud...though we're planning a winter trip so maybe I'll get the same!
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Jorge

Game cameras in Baja, what a great idea!

I think every camper would be amazed at how soon the "silent ones" come into camp after the lights go out, and how often through the night and early morning they parade back and forth. We always see the prints, but time stamping the visits is really neat.

This year it seemed like it was only a few solitary coyotes, or maybe just two individuals. Last year we had a pack of 6+ that visited. One woke me this year up lapping fresh water from the ice chests out of a bucket less than 6 feet from my cot.

-Herbert Spencer
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-16-2013 at 05:48 PM

I love the night camera shots... I am just not sure if I want to know what is outside my tent after I go inside!!! LOL

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2013 at 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
we got skunked in the fishing department

Great pics, thanks.

I wonder if the rain shut down the fishing? We were down just after the rain, and all the runoff had turned the water reddish-brown and very murky.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2013 at 08:14 AM

Enjoyed your report. I'm jealous. Thanks for taking the time to post. 9 days. Did I say I'm jealous? Dig the SUK.

absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2013 at 09:33 AM

I'm just curious about the Baja coyote. We travel with a larger dog so not an issue but are they aggressive with small dogs?
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 9-17-2013 at 09:59 AM

We took our 50 lb dog there last year, no problem but she slept in the tent with us and the noise of the waves likely drowned out any noise the coyotes would make. A small dog---I'd be pretty careful---the coyotes are around occasionally around during the day and they'd love a snack if given the chance---don't leave the dog alone, day or night.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.