Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: MY AUTO ACCIDENT EXPERIENCE IN LA PAZ
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 10:55 AM
MY AUTO ACCIDENT EXPERIENCE IN LA PAZ

I had to fly to Cabo in the early part of September, 2013. So I rented a National car vehicle though their web site. The orice was low, and it was a compact car. I rented it for 5 days at $14.00 U.S. per day.
When I went to the National counter at Cabo airport to sign for the vehicle I rented, a very nicely mannered person helped me out, and walked me though the process of the rental.
Here is where things got somewhat complicated:

Even though my vehicle rental was low, I still had to add liability coverage, which now brought my vehicle daily coverage to about $22.00 U.S. per day...not bad, huh?
When I presented my American Express card for the rental, they wanted to add about $5,000 U.S. hold on the card in case of an accident to cover the car repairs.
I argued (nicely) with the agent. I could not come up with that amount with the AE, or by adding the two other cards that I brought.

SO:

Here is the deal that National came up with:
Pay up front for the daily rate, including liability and collision/damage, and the total fee would be $124.00 paid up front. And that was ALL that was charged to my AE card!
I thought that the fees were reasonable.

Now for the rest of the story:

While driving to Palermo's restaurant on the La Paz Malecón, a transit bus rear ended my car!

another view of the damage:

The distraught bus driver:

So I ended up at the police station for three hours waiting to fill out paperwork. I also called National, and they said they would have another car waiting for me at their malecon location.
We traded cars, and no hassles!!!
Returned the new car to Cabo airport...no hassles!!!

Happy ending.
The gentleman gave me his personal phone number and to give him a call next time I wish to rent a car at the airport, instead of going through the web site.
U2U me if you want his number and name.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 10:59 AM

very nice!

edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 11:03 AM

What the hell was the $5000 repair hold up front for? They wanted you to self-insure? Just by their attempt to scam you makes stay away from them.

Glad you ended at the better end of the deal!

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
What the hell was the $5000 repair hold up front for? They wanted you to self-insure? Just by their attempt to scam you makes stay away from them.

Glad you ended at the better end of the deal!

Conversely, I see no "scam"-------just good business. Somebody other than the Rental Company normally has to pay for accidents and repairs------and in the end they shared the risk with you.

Glad this turned out well for you, Udo.

Barry
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 11:19 AM

Just as a clarification point...

I did not feel scammed, because I had done the same thing (the up-front $5,000 deposit, or credit hold on my card), and in the end, they always refunded and tore up the second credit hold. I was never double charged.
Just that this time, my AE card had a balance on it and could not come up with the $5,000 in credit hold. If my AE card would have had the ability for the "hold", I would have done it again.
This time things turned out differently, and in future occasions I will pay the lower "UP FRONT" total fees.

Udo

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 11:23 AM

Bummer, but at least you were in La Paz and not out in the boonies!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo

I can just hear this guy, "Yeah...I rear-ended you, but it's your fault, gringo"

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 11:40 AM

Ahhh Mexico... the Amigo Country! :lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 11:52 AM

Udo,
Glad you were not injured :saint:

Good story....good outcome.....good info !

Don't believe everything you think....
edm1
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Just as a clarification point...

I did not feel scammed, because I had done the same thing (the up-front $5,000 deposit, or credit hold on my card), and in the end, they always refunded and tore up the second credit hold. I was never double charged.
Just that this time, my AE card had a balance on it and could not come up with the $5,000 in credit hold. If my AE card would have had the ability for the "hold", I would have done it again.
This time things turned out differently, and in future occasions I will pay the lower "UP FRONT" total fees.

Really? I didn't know that's the way they work. Still I would be reluctant giving $5000 of my Amex, rental hold or not.

motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 12:17 PM

This topic has appeared MANY times here before.

Folks, the credit card you hold might pay for Collision/Damage and Comprehensive. coverage....you just pay rental company for basic liability....and the credit card company absorbs the repair costs, not you.

Geoff (BajaBound), can you clarify this from your perspective?

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 02:28 PM

That's the point of the story.

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Udo,
Glad you were not injured :saint:

Good story....good outcome.....good info !

Udo

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 02:31 PM

Quote:
According to my AE customer agreement...(I have the COSTCO version of the AE card), AE pays for the liability portion of the insurance, not the vehicle damages.

quote]Originally posted by motoged
This topic has appeared MANY times here before.

Folks, the credit card you hold might pay for Collision/Damage and Comprehensive. coverage....you just pay rental company for basic liability....and the credit card company absorbs the repair costs, not you.

Geoff (BajaBound), can you clarify this from your perspective?

Udo

dtutko1
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 02:32 PM

Clean living once more rewarded!

Dorado Don
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
According to my AE customer agreement...(I have the COSTCO version of the AE card), AE pays for the liability portion of the insurance, not the vehicle damages.

My VISA cards are the opposite....and their head office in Toronto e-mailed me a policy letter confirming that. So, I don't mind paying the basic liability....and don't mind VISA paying for any dents :biggrin:

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 07:42 PM
This from the AE web site

www.americanexpress.com/carrentalinsurance

CAR RENTAL LOSS AND DAMAGE INSURANCE¹RENT WITH ADDED PEACE OF MIND

With Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance1, you can focus more on where you're going.

• Use Your Eligible Card - Reserve and pay for the entire eligible rental car on your eligible Card, and you can be covered if the car is damaged or stolen.

• Say "No Thanks"– Decline the collision damage waiver (CDW) offered by the Commercial Car Rental Company.

• Enjoy the Ride – Coverage applies to the first 30 consecutive days of most car rentals and there is no deductible. Worldwide Coverage² is not available for vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica and New Zealand nor Small Business Cardmembers except for Business Platinum® Card
When you agree to purchase insurance from the car rental agency you do not get a copy of the insurance policy because it does not exist. They self insure meaning that they are betting you will not have an accident and if you don't the agency just pockets the entire amount paid. company

Bob Durrell
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 08:29 PM

So, Udo "lives clean", just has the wrong card...:biggrin:

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2013 at 08:35 PM

If National wanted to put a $5,000 hold on my card, I would walk to the next rental car company.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2013 at 07:59 AM

Definitely glad that your experience ended well --- expect it is never fun to be hit!

Curious, however, if that $5000.00 hold is common with other companies as well???

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2013 at 08:12 AM

To answer Diana's and Ken's question...

I have rented vehicles from other companies in Cabo. They all have the same $5,000 "deposit for vehicle damage hold".
Last year I joined the National Emerald club for the free rental days program...however, the program does not apply in Mexico, only at US locations (which I found out about three months ago.
In Cabo, National has treated me the best of all the agencies. If you want the list of agencies not to rent from, I'll give you the list. Where I got hurt was when my flight to Cabo was canceled and I was a day late for the rental.

Udo

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.