BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Bright lights Big City...Ensenada trip!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-4-2013 at 08:21 AM
Bright lights Big City...Ensenada trip!

Last week, I took the bus up to Ensenada for my grandson Izaak's 3rd birthday party. The long bus trip was fine..only 4 people on it with the highlight being an Oxxo stop in El Rosario..hahaha!The reward for a sore butt was Izaak jumping into my arms at the depot with a huge gramma hug!

I love Ensenada as there are so many choices of things to do, see and EAT! First up was THE most amazing home made pastrami sandwich we had at Cafe Toya's which is in Ofelia's parking lot in Sauzal by the surf shop and gallery...insanely delicious on a croissant with excellent coffee with a hit of Kahlua to get my engine started.

Then on to the barber to lop off some of Izaak's curls...boo hooo...I guess they just dont understand "Take a little off the top and sides".

The birthday party was a grand affair...lAdrian whipped up some lobster crema and I brought abalone for sashimi...nice microbrewery beer and great folks.

The next morning we went for a magnificent as always brunch at San Miguel's with some notable Nomads! great to see you all...loved the bloody maria for dessert....hahaha

then we went to the beach which wasnt at all like Asuncion! it was packed and fun to people watch.

then a sunset harbour cruise...50 pesos for the 3 of us and it was great...

then we walked around downtown...I love the old buildings and doorways

then went for sushi at my favorite place in Ensenada on the main drag at the north end...this dude is an amazing sushi chef...he surprised me with mushroom & smoked marlin in tempura that was magic and a sashimi plate with yummy seaweed, noodles and saki....yeah baby!

Then we decided to burn off some calories and went to Rodada Nocturna...a cool thing that some really neat people do for free. They set up at the art gallery on monday & fridays and they have skates and protective pads for free for anyone who wants to try roller blading around the parking lot and gallery area while a group does a skate around downtown...these kids ROCK!

we rested up from that at a late movie...whew what a day!

We had fantastic sushi bolas made by Natalie...and then a bit more playtime with my knight in shining armor before heading back to Asuncion again.

It was a magnificent visit with the family and friends...Ensenada is a fun city but I was happy to be back to the fresh clean air of our quiet little paradise.

[Edited on 10-4-2013 by shari]

[Edited on 10-4-2013 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-4-2013 at 08:32 AM

What a great time! Thank you for posting these photos! Great looking family!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 10-4-2013 at 09:03 AM

Let the good times roll......

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2013 at 09:14 AM

What a beautiful photo trip! The pic of Izaac at the barber shop could easily beina magazine. What a handsome boy. Maybe we should introduce him to Piper some day ((((: Nice to see a pic of the three together. We hardly ever see Adrian.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 10-4-2013 at 02:07 PM

OMIGOSH how cute!!! Izaak sure puts a smile on one's face, what a cutie-patootie! Just radiating beams of light! Such a happy little boy!

Happy 3rd birthday Izaak!

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2013 at 02:14 PM

Looks like you had a blast!
So El Rey del Sol is a sushi bar now....my it has been a long time since I spent any time in Ensenada!

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2013 at 03:03 PM

Beautiful pictures of beautiful times. Love the one of the fishing boats and their crows nests.

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2013 at 03:44 PM

No Judy...that's not the sushi restaurant....it's just a doorway I liked...I cant remember the name of the sushi place but it's across the street from El Rey del Sol.

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 10-4-2013 at 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
then we went to the beach which wasnt at all like Asuncion! it was packed and fun to people watch.

Sorry, but this what a crowded beach looks like:

I did ENJOY seeing all your pictures though.

[Edited on 10-5-2013 by BajaNomad]

Bob Durrell
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2013 at 05:03 PM

Rey Sol has really great food. Personally I would not have been able to stop and take a pic of the entrance. then walk elsewhere to eat.

Izaak is adorable.

Question about the Oxxo stop in El Rosario. Did they open there? Didn't see one back in April.
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 10-4-2013 at 05:12 PM

Shari, Thanks for sharing, it's obvious you had a fabulous time. You are so lucky to have such a great family! The pictures of Izaak in the barbers chair and with Sirena in the life jackets cracked me up. That kid is really something. Glad you got to share his happy birthday with him!

John

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2013 at 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Rey Sol has really great food. Personally I would not have been able to stop and take a pic of the entrance. then walk elsewhere to eat.

Izaak is adorable.

Question about the Oxxo stop in El Rosario. Did they open there? Didn't see one back in April.

yes, near the school on the north side of the road

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2013 at 05:29 PM

Quote:

Your bud, Jean Loup, wouldn't have that. :light:

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2013 at 05:39 PM

Great trip report...and wonderful pictures. Ensenada looks like fun!

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
churro
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2013 at 07:18 PM

Great trip! looks like you all had a BLAST!!! Thanks for posting!
Barbareno
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 05:41 AM

Great report Shari. When's the last time you had roller skates on? Looks like you had a blast.:lol:
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 07:55 AM

I had never been on roller blades before but roller skating...the old school kind was my passion in my youth...our town had a fantastic roller rink and lots of dudes from Detroit came to skate there...it was F U N K Y...which back then was a Get Down Get Down type deal.

So the Rodada Nocturna raza were pretty amazed at how good I skated on my first time....backwards was easier than forward...must be this mexican thing...hahaha.

I just thought it was so neat how the main guy buys used skates and pads and just lets everyone use them for free...his idea is to turn people on to the healthy sport of roller blading which is his passion. It gives the kids something fun to do in the evenings with a great bunch of people.
their facebook page is Rodada Nocturna Ensenada.

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 12:24 PM
Isaak is a Living Doll!

Far cuter and more expressive than the baby on the e-Trade commercials. Most kids I know would be screaming and crying while in the barber's chair.

Many, many felicitations to you and your lovely family and wishing you many more happy birthdays.

What is the name of the restaurant you went to in San Miguel and the sushi place? I could sure go for a lovely seaside brunch and delicisioso sushi dinner right now.

Saludos, GJ

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 12:28 PM

Thanks for the fun trip report. Sorry I missed you on this trip, Shari.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 04:55 PM
My Bud

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Your bud, Jean Loup, wouldn't have that. :light:

You obviously know the story. Funny thing is that he never offered to comp me for anything.

That said, I do still consider El Rey Sol to be a really good restaurant. Where else can one find boneless rabbit prepared in a delicious french style sauce?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.