Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Panga Sharing Fishing Group - La Paz
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2013 at 10:09 AM
Panga Sharing Fishing Group - La Paz

I am interested in starting a “Panga Fishing Group” in La Paz for those who wish to fish more by spending less on panga fishing trips. Sharing a panga and splitting the cost two or three ways for a day’s fishing can dramatically cut the cost of panga fishing. The “Group” is really just a list of Nomads and the future dates that they are available to go fishing. Participation is completely voluntary and limited to active Nomad forum members only.

The way it works is one volunteer member of the group (to start, I hereby initially volunteer myself to get this Group stated) will maintain a ‘master list’ containing each member’s “availability” for future panga fishing trips. Each member can then request the list and then contact each other to set up a fishing trip. The list is held confidential to group members only…not to be distributed to anyone who is not already on the list.

To get the Group started, I propose an informal meeting next week (time and place TBD) at a local restaurant or bar for La Paz fisherman to meet and greet, have a few beers and tacos, and talk fishing.

Want to be a member? Come to the meet and greet and/or contact me by way of U2U. I will announce the time and place of the meeting by a future post in this thread and by U2U to those who have contacted me.

Remember, details of arrangements or actual fishing trips are not part of the list. All that stuff is strictly between the Group members themselves. Contact info like phone numbers and email addresses will not be on the list. However, Nomads are free to use U2U to get the contact going.

Let me know what you think. Anybody out there interested?

[Edited on 10-4-2013 by MitchMan]
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 10-4-2013 at 10:41 AM

Hope you don't get too many members in your group :lol:

Bob Durrell
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2013 at 12:27 PM

Lots of abandoned pangas up here in Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo, CA counties. Most have 3 motors, stuck up on the beaches. Seem pretty nice, cargo is gone.
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swords
Lots of abandoned pangas up here in Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo, CA counties. Most have 3 motors, stuck up on the beaches. Seem pretty nice, cargo is gone.

Wonder if the square grouper can be found floating around the area ??
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 10:26 AM

THis is a great idea MitchMan. Wish I lived closer.

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 10:38 AM

Thanks, Ateo

The cost for going panga fishing for one day can be as high as $325 USD for one person. I usually pay no more than $150 USD for one person for one panga for the day out of Los Muertos with really experienced pangueros with 22 ft flat bed fiber glass pangas who always put me on fish (that includes the cost of bait, fileting, and tip for the panguero as well). Splitting that cost two ways or even 3 ways is a tremendous deal.

The math: Split the cost between two people = $75 USD per person; Share with two other guys = $50 USD per person. Man, that’s reflects huge savings.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 10:45 AM

A swingin' deal for everybody. I've done it a few times >>> pay a few more bucks for bait and gas and you can run the whole buoy line out to 88.

So maybe 3 guys split $180 bucks. Best deal on the planet -- chance to be in deep water where the tuna/marlin/sail run with a chance to catch dorado and wahoo as a bonus.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2013 at 07:28 AM

I'm in!!

In Memory of E-57
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2013 at 09:40 AM
see my PM to you

I wrote you a private message

Life is too short to drink bad wine
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2013 at 12:48 PM
Tony's will host anything to do with fishing

Tony's would be happy to be your meeting point...(Pangas park right across the street). U2U me and I would be happy to help.

Tony's also offers "You Catch It - We Cook It" service if you are too tired at the end of your trip to deal with it and just want to relax and drink beer while your catch is prepared.

Can't get any simpler.

Peace,
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2013 at 03:42 PM

akmaxx,

I'll be contacting you by U2U shortly. I will be arriving in La Paz tomorrow to get the group under way. Meeting at Tony's has good potential.
captain4tuna
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2013 at 07:43 AM

Great idea.....Can we be on this list for when we're in La Paz
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2013 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captain4tuna
Great idea.....Can we be on this list for when we're in La Paz

Absolutely!

If you are a Nomad on this forum, you certainly can be on the list. What you will need to do is contact me with your availability info sooner rather than later. The idea is for me to produce an active list of Nomads with their respective availability dates. These dates can be a year into the future. Not a problem.

Also, it goes without saying that future dates will often and frequently change as member circumstances often change. Again, not a problem. Just keep me informed when the changes occur, and, I expect many changes on an ongoing basis. Not a problem.

I have been contacted by several Nomads that have their own boats and would like to be members of the Panga Group to offer fishing trip spots on their boats in exchange for sharing costs for gas, bait, and marina launch fees and maybe lending a helping hand in the launch duties. Pretty darn good deal.

More to come.

[Edited on 10-8-2013 by MitchMan]
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-8-2013 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan

I have been contacted by several Nomads that have their own boats and would like to be members of the Panga Group to offer fishing trip spots on their boats in exchange for sharing costs for gas, bait, and marina launch fees and maybe lending a helping hand in the launch duties.

[Edited on 10-8-2013 by MitchMan]

Mitch,
You may get yourself into some serious trouble with the local pangeros having gringo owned pangas sharing with outsider/visiting/tourist gringos.

Always have this problem here in Loreto.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2013 at 07:53 PM

I agree with Van, if you're going to form a "corprativo" best stick with the Mexican owned pangas, just makes sense.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2013 at 06:21 AM

Vandenberg, Phil C,
Much appreciate the heads up. There is no intent for the Panga Sharing Group to either diminish or compete or interfere with the local panguero industry. If anything, it would be best to increase their business.

This Group is strictly limited to participation by Nomads only, that is to say expressly that this group both directly and indirectly is NOT available to "sharing with outsider/visiting/tourist gringos".

Furthermore, the group is not to be considered a "corprativo" in any formal sense. The Group's function is limited to facilitating Nomads in their communication with each other of their mutual availability to share costs for local panga fishing trips and not to steer business in any alternate or specific other direction.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2013 at 02:42 PM

captain4tuna,
You don't have to have a home or perpetual presence in La Paz to participate in the group, all you have to have is "availability" to share a panga when you are in La Paz...whenever that is, be it on vacation or for whatever reason and no matter how short or infrequent your visits. Could be a one-time-thing. Not a problem.

To get a list, you have to be on the list with your future dates of availability; can be up to a year into the future.

I've gotten a lot of feed back and there is plenty of interest in the group.

Just got into La Paz last night. I was scheduled to be in La Paz on Tuesday, but Volaris lost my reservation and they were no help at all at the counter at the Tijuana airport. Had to buy brand new tickets to get here on Wednesday.

Looking to set the Meet and Greet for Tuesday next week (Oct 15, 2013) at 5pm (c-cktail hour).

No reason to wait for Tuesday's Meet and Greet to get on the list today. If you are interested, U2U me with your availability. All you have to do is tell me the future dates that you are available to go fishing and share a panga in La Paz.

For example, I am here in La Paz now and I am available to go fishing two or three times from this Saturday Oct 12, 2013 to Saturday Oct 19, 2013. I'll be back in La Paz January 7 thru January 21, 2014, then again in March 19 thru to March 28, 2014, and again May 27 thru to June 15, 2014. I'll be available for 2 to 4 fishing trips for each of those latter periods.

You can list your availability as I have done above, but it makes sense that your available period doesn't mean that you intend to fish every single day. When you know that you have scheduled all the actual fishing trips that you want, just U2U me to change or eliminate your dates off the list.

That simple.

[Edited on 10-10-2013 by MitchMan]
akmaxx
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2013 at 02:50 PM
Mitch - Check your u2u.

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2013 at 08:55 AM

For the Meet and Greet,
Send me a U2U to let me know if you intend to be there. I have it tentatively set for this Tuesday at 5 pm, but let me know if that works for you. I am going to Tony's on the Malecon to take a look at it for the Meet and Greet.

Also and FWIW, I am going fishing tomorrow and Monday out of Los Muertos. If anybody wants to split a panga, U2U me. I hear the Dorado are biting good.

MitchMan

[Edited on 10-11-2013 by MitchMan]
capitolkat
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2013 at 11:53 AM
disagree with Van and Phil C

I'm one of the guys with a boat in la Paz. it's a nice size boat, in a marina, and I just don't get to use it enough- so looking for locals who maybe want to share gas and fish maybe one day a week until the weather turns. The fair thing is to share gas if a fishing buddy goes out on my boat and that's all I ask. I'm not competing with locals as I'll not advertise, look for anyone to come to La Paz to go out- just some fishing buddies who want to hit the water and share costs.

It might have been a problem in Loreto as gringos who rent out their boats are in competition with a more cohesive co op. That's not me and sharing my boat with like minded local gringos, who might otherwise not go out just makes economic sense.

If it works out fine, as I'd like to have some local fishing friends, who have good senses of humor, like to fish, and are willing to share gas expenses. If not that's OK too. Norm

Life is too short to drink bad wine
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.