Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Preaching to the choir
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2013 at 09:46 AM
Preaching to the choir

Catch em All

In the early 1900s there were rare sightings in the Gulf of California, in the open Pacific ocean and in bays and estuaries near the coast of Mexico. Fishermen in small boats reported seeing these boils or pile ups of fish feeding on the surface in such great numbers that the writhing, slashing tons of marine biomass was pushed above the water to form a hill or mound of prey and predator.

Yellowtail jacks, skipjacks in roaming shoals of thousands might have encountered an unbelievably large school of sardines, anchovettas and other baitfish. The sound and fury of the feeding frenzy may have drawn huge herds of dolphin, perhaps orcas and sharks which joined the melee until it became more than the sum of its parts and literally burst through the surface to become a transitory island of fish flesh that rose then disappeared as fast as it had formed.

As Mexico began to realize and appreciate the grand scale of this virtually unused natural resource it put in place a rough plan to have and husband, from Brownsville to Belize, from Tijuana to Guatemala what would soon become as important as corn and cane. It proved to be the perfect kind of saleable resource they did not have to share with farmers or ganaderos.

While Mexico was setting up systems to sell marine life and permits to harvest, many fishermen from the U.S. were taking as many fish as they could hook, clean and transport without a single thought to common sense self limits. The word along the border and all over the U.S. was “Catch as many as you like.”

Finally formal Leyes y codicos de Mexico Pesca was written, refined (16th edition now) to include sport and commercial limits and the Mexican fishing license was born. My copy of the 15th edition of the law convinces me congress has a good grasp on how the resource should be treated --- too bad few regulators or anglers do not make good use of it. The government allows the buyers to harvest their own marine life; reminds me of U.S. roadside fruit farms that let buyers pick the fruit from the tree. Fish are difficult to store and transport but easy to catch – a very liquid asset indeed.

Back to the roadside farm: the sign is the contract; “Pick your own Apples” for sale. The farmer would be out of business if he allowed the buyers to not only pick their own apples but to dig up the trees and the topsoil they grow in, haul them off with the apples. Some farmers may not be good businessmen and this ruinous situation could shut them down for lack of policing the picking process.

That’s Mexico in a nutshell. The laws could be perfect for protection and advancement of marine resources but the laws are very seldom enforced. This awful situation is only possible if a lot of people are living the model of a “Look the other way” society. It’s simple and pervasive --- “If I look the other way, you must pay me. We both get what we want with little risk and nobody is hurt.” They consider that a victimless crime but they might as well be breaking into the Mexican treasury. The moral aspect of these unlawful acts or omissions is clouded further because much of the resource is transient and travels other seas, other waters.

With or without chicanery the bycatch problem is not easily solved. There is a huge and natural loss of prohibited specie fish inherent in the process --- until and unless invention and a new morality steps in to capture only the fish for which you have permits while you release the bycatch unharmed the damage continues.

Some parts of the law make little sense. Sportfisher licensees are prohibited from cleaning the fish on the boat so inspectors can clearly identify species included in the daily limit. That leaves lucky anglers a choice, the roadside or the nearest landfill instead of returning that protein to the sea to be made good use of by marine scavengers.

Most charter boats hoping for billfish spread the bait/lures out trolling with 12 rods while the law allows only one rod per angler, (with a single hook). One of the most favored bait for all game and bottom fish is squid but that’s a mollusk on the no capture list. (the law is basically ignored by all Mexican and gringo private recreation and charter fishermen).

Hand line bottom fishing co op members receive the highest price for Huachinango under one kilo – restaurants serve the tasty fish cooked and presented whole – so the market place encourages them to catch and kill immature fish.

There is little outcry about who and what is depleting the waters, laws, enforcement aside. An occasional story with photos shocks but only for a day or two --- they catch a factory ship with 30 tons of baby marlin, small seiners with no permits with 10 tons of dorado and everybody knows those things go on every day in every way in all the waters that touch Mexico.

If there is good news I believe public awareness and fair play are increasing. For every avaricious scofflaw there are legions of fishermen of every stripe who set personal responsibility bars ever higher to help the fishery, to play by the rules, to help others see into a sad future, a sea without fish.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2013 at 09:58 AM

Beautifully written, as always.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-20-2013 at 09:59 AM

troubling. putting it right out there. the thing about the baby huachinango is really lame, but i see their reasoning. we bring squid with us on every trip from the US and it is like candy so i guess i'm part of the problem. oh, and the clams-we love the clams....

something to think about!

Johannes
Nomad

Mood: I love it in Loreto

[*] posted on 10-20-2013 at 10:03 AM

When you see illigal fishing, take pictures and send them to the authorities
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-20-2013 at 10:13 AM

Thanks Osprey! Play by the rules? You're right. Are there any rules for commercial fishermen?
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2013 at 10:21 AM

I have felt for a number of years now that recreational fisherman should only keep what they and their families can eat that night. All else should be released. Driving back or flying back with coolers of fish should be outlawed and fined. Fined at exit points and airports. Recreational fishing should be just that and nothing more.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 10-20-2013 at 10:43 AM

Dittos ... was brought up that way ...

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 10-20-2013 at 10:52 AM

I agree with Skipjack Joe, catch and release all but tonight's meal. First thing i do is flatten down the barbs on every hook use. Haven't used cut-bait of any kind for two years running now, lures only, and not a single skunk day (even if it's just a li'l sand bass).

However, fishing and fisheries are only part of the problem in the Sea of Cortez. The damming of the Colorado and total depletion of any run-off whatsoever has pretty well destroyed the balance of the eco-system, especially in the northern half. One hundred years ago the Colorado Delta was as rich and verdant as any major river delta on earth, with millions of fowl including flamingos, and the nutrient-rich effluence from a very large and powerful run-off would feed the Sea, and in turn all the smallest to the largest of habitants. Now the waters are alloted and promised to all adjoining States of America and Mexico; the total 'shares' are over 200% of the highest recorded flow of the river, and the water-wars will go on in the court systems for decades to come. By the time the remaining trickle makes it past Yuma, it's not fit for any kind of use or consumption. It's last U.S. tributary, the New River of California is considered about the most poluted stream in the United States. Border Patrol agents are warned not to chase illegals through the water, it's too contaminated for skin contact.

Unfortunately, this is one battle lost as far as reclamation is concerned. Lost and gone forever, or at least 'our forever'. My friends and i have a toast we do, and it goes, "Here's to the Good Old Days.... for today IS the good old days".

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2013 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
I have felt for a number of years now that recreational fisherman should only keep what they and their families can eat that night. All else should be released. Driving back or flying back with coolers of fish should be outlawed and fined. Fined at exit points and airports. Recreational fishing should be just that and nothing more.
Fishing shouldn't be some Disneyland ride, it's about killing and eating fish, not about torturing them and releasing them, there is nothing wrong with putting fish in the freezer to eat later, as long as one keeps to the limits. I know that the fish that I catch are harvested and processed in a much more sustainable and humane way than any commercial product, and the quality and freshness is light years ahead.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 10-20-2013 at 02:26 PM

What other inhabitant on this planet can we blame but ourselves, as a species we have brought shame to our possible future generations. Lets be part of the solution not the problem...... Thanks again for the wake up call Senor Osprey. :cool:
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2013 at 03:53 PM

We have two brothers who live in the small village I call home. One is pretty conscientious and catches and sells enough fish to make a meager living. The other one uses the biggest nets, the biggest motor, and literally rapes the ocean every chance he gets. I have seen the first one, with hook and line make a few pesos and when his mother asked for a couple of pesos to buy new glasses since she is no longer able to work, the dutiful son pulls the pesos from the bottom of his billfold and tries to help mother as much as he can.

The other brother, wrapped up 3 toneladas of yellowtail on the island while they were trying to spawn. When asked if he would donate a little for glasses for mother, he replied that she never helped him growing up and refused. With the bounty of fish he bought several cases of beer and a few bottles of tequila and he and his cronies ended up passed out by the boat ramp.

Thank you Jorge, for writing the way you do and it is only through slow education that we can hope to cause some small amount of change.

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2013 at 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Johannes
When you see illigal fishing, take pictures and send them to the authorities

I could do that. Will it work? Which authorities?
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 10-21-2013 at 11:55 AM

Osprey, As always you are on target! Thank you for posting so we can enjoy.
As for limits I am always under. Mostly I will catch only for today, if something is going to change, (like waves) I will put something in the icebox. I don't bring anything home, I could Tuna and Salmon for life if I were to sell all my gear.;D

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2013 at 08:03 AM

Ok. I'm guilty. Or was. We used to blast off for three or four days, drive like hell to SQ or Mulege, fish like crazy, and go home with coolers of fish. One time I think we took like 400 lbs. BUT--that was for 10 guys. Thats 40 lbs each, or maybe 3 nice fish. Not so bad when you think of it. Don't do it anymore. Probably couldn't because of the pace; I'm a lot older. Anyway I miss those Dorado fillets stashed in the freezer, and pulled out mid February or so, and enjoyed with the memories of the trip and all the fun. Now, reading this thread, and the "Ocean is Broken" thread, I'm hit with a feeling of being overwhelmed. It's not really the rod and reel guy that has screwed things up, it's the big guys. The net boats that can wrap more fish in one nite than all the sportys could take home in coolers in pickups and on airliners in a year; five years, you get my drift. Them and the hoar politicians that "look the other way" to put that buck in their pocket.
So back to being overwhelmed. Look at the smog situation in China the last couple of days, and tell me how outlawing plastic bags in Ojai, CA. is going to do anything, I mean anything, towards saving the environment. I'll continue to do my part, but boy, what an uphill battle we have.
And let me tell ya, I still miss those little packages of dorado.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2013 at 08:15 AM

Whats, think about the naturalists, scientists, conservators ---- they must be bleeding from the heart. Right now on the islands in the northern SOC they have just about stopped counting birds. They can gauge the loss of millions of seabirds by recording the loss of their food. Many specie of birds WILL mate and nest on those islands where the chicks will all die because the birds are wired to stay there, eat there, nest there sooooo when the food source is gone, they all die. They can't be coaxed or taught to move, no amount of other food would save them. They are doomed and going fast. Their counts will go from millions to thousands to hundreds to extinct before we can change anything to stop what man and nature have wrought.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-23-2013 at 10:17 AM

It is so refreshing to see that your writing is becoming more realistic and progressive, George.

Nice to see you are migrating from fiction (and a lot of research) to non-fiction (which has somewhat less research).

The non-fiction writing is something we all can use and awake our life surrounding us.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 10-23-2013 at 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Thanks Osprey! Play by the rules? You're right. Are there any rules for commercial fishermen?

Community based enforcement efforts in Baja California Sur, Mexico, supported by The Billfish Foundation (TBF) through the Center for Marine Protection and funded by the recreational fishing license fees paid to FONMAR, have resulted in three recent seizures of vessels carrying multi-tons of illegally harvested dorado.

On August 13, a commercial vessel from Mazatlan was seized in waters north of Loreto with 1,300 kilos (nearly 1.5 tons) of dorado (also known as mahi mahi, dolphinfish or goldenmakrele), a species strictly relegated for sportfishing and not commercial long-lining or netting. Local FONMAR agents said the crew was filleting the illegal fish at sea.

Then over the weekend of Sept. 5, two boats owned by commercial longline king Henry Collard were seized and charged with illegally harvesting dorado while using a shark permit in Magdelena Bay. The two vessels were carrying 14 tons of dorado along with several tons of shark.

www.sportfishingmag.com/.../mexican-fishing-mafia-tagged-thr...

Bob Durrell
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 10-23-2013 at 11:25 AM
Remember when?

A young Tony Reyes with Totoaba catch in San Felipe:

Bob Durrell
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2013 at 12:26 PM

Udo, thanks for the kudos but....... when I write fiction I am trying to reach into the reader's mind and leave him with a little piece of mine >> full of fun and fantasy and whimsy. Non fiction for me is just me pointing at the obvious -- you already see it (probably more clearly than I do) but it's just useless drivel.

When the world has been robbed of all its color you'll wish for all the whimsy you can find and only the dreamers will have what you need.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2013 at 08:34 AM

"When the world has been robbed of all its color you'll wish for all the whimsy you can find and only the dreamers will have what you need."

Whoa amigo! Whoa! It is not often I read such wisdom. To lose our sense of awe and wonder is to die alive.

Thanks for this.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.