Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 14 Days in Jan 2013 Cabo-Todos Santos-Loreto-Whales
TLBaja79
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2013 at 07:38 PM
14 Days in Jan 2013 Cabo-Todos Santos-Loreto-Whales

My Girlfriend and I flew down to San Jose del Cabo for a couple nights of all inclusive. We really aren't the resort kind of people but after a lot of work we were ready for some R&R of pool bars and nothing. But after a couple days we have to get out of there.
We had some plans but no set dates of when to be where except our flight out 2 weeks later. That was the best way to do a trip!
We then rented a car from Cactus Rental Car at the airport, they were great.
Drove to Todos Santos and stayed at a couple of the small 'boutique' hotels, paid about $100 per night there. They were nice and comfortable. Went to the Music Festival which was fun. I was very impressed with Todos Santos being very American with the variety of bars and whatnot but also classy Mexican at the same time. The streets felt safe even late at night.
After a couple days in Todos Santos I wanted to go up to Loreto. I used to go to Loreto when I was a kid quite a bit so always liked it but had been a while.
We pulled into Loreto in the afternoon after an uneventful drive from Todos Santos. Pulled into town and as most places in Baja its changed a lot since I was there last. Its more built up and a handful of huge hotels closer to the highway.
We found our hotel 'Posada del Cortes' which was awesome! The location couldn't have been better, a 2 minute walk from the Mission, and plenty of cafe's, bars, restaurants. The Malecon was a short walk the other way. The hotel itself was more than we asked for. We got a small studio style room, equipped with a hotplate, sink, fridge...
The price was reasonable and we ended up extending our stay multiple times.
While in Loreto we spent a day driving up to Mulege just to check it out. Spent a day down near Ligui at a beach which used to be desolate, but I guess I wasn't the only person that liked that beach...now its the site of Villas del Palmar!
We clammed, cooked them up on our hotplate, appetizers and c-cktails on our rooftop patio/palapa! It was a great place. We never ate at the same place twice and had some great meals! Loreto truly has a lot to offer, can't wait to get back. Waking up and walking a 2 minute walk to a perfect Mexican café for morning coffee and any sort of breakfast from healthy to unhealthy to Mexican style! Can't beat that
We met a girl one night in Loreto for a Turtle Conservation convention of sorts. She informed s that over in the Lopez Mateos /San Carlos area the Grey Whales were coming back into the bay. So we decided to head that way to pet the whales!
In San Carlos we stayed at the Hotel Brennan, it was a great clean place. It really reminded me of how Baja used to be. The hotel was clean and nice but that is about it. The town was old school Baja with plenty of AWESOME seafood. My girlfriend doesn't eat much seafood and is very pick with her seafood but was eating everything on the menu in San Jose.
The whale watching was something that you should see before you die. I have seen plenty of whales in my work life but this was something else. A couple of the whales actually got friendly and would let us pet them and they were playing with us. There weren't too many boats or people out there either. We were lucky to have a great boat captain and were the only ones on the boat. The boat captain was a good guy and really knew the area and the whales. I highly recommend this trip, it wasn't too cheap, I think we paid about $250US for about 6hrs but it was well worth it. I'd say I'm frugal but I wouldn't hesitate to go again! The whole time out there we say breaching whales, pet the whales, tons of tail slapping! Since I haven't been to Lopez Matoes I can only speak for San
Carlos and it was great. There was a hotel being built on entering the town but they were full so we stayed at hotel Brennan. I'd think the new place is much nicer, they looked like individual 'cabanas' right on the water.
That was more or less the end of our trip.
I can't wait to get back on the road in Baja. Just thinking about all the good stuff you can get at the stores down there and the tequila...I can't wait
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-25-2013 at 09:13 PM

Excellent! Thank you :)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

spikemd
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 02:15 PM

Very nice trip. I guess I am surprised the whales are in the bay this early. I thought they arrived later in the year. I want to get down to see them at some point.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-28-2013 at 02:20 PM

Note that he said this was in January, 2013... I also was puzzled until I reread his subject post title.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TLBaja79
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2013 at 07:38 PM

Yes, sorry this was in January.

Is Loreto always this cold at night? I have been looking at the weather reports and looks like 40's, ....30's?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2013 at 08:02 AM

Not in the summer!!! The Coco Cabanas Motel even has a cooled swimming pool!

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-31-2013 at 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TLBaja79
Yes, sorry this was in January.

Is Loreto always this cold at night? I have been looking at the weather reports and looks like 40's, ....30's?

I don't know what weather report you have been looking at, but the nighttime temperatures here have been in the low to mid 70's.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.