Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mex 1 top to bottom
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 11-2-2013 at 07:27 PM
Mex 1 top to bottom

BAJA TRIP 2013

Here is my much belated trip report from Aug. 2013. My trip began here on the BN when I found an offer from boe4fun to ride along on a trip from San Diego as far as La Paz. For several years my number one bucket list item was to take a month to zig zag up and down the Baja peninsula . I had visited Loreto, La Paz and the Cabo area a number of times but had always flown in for a week or two each time. Although I usually rented a car, it's not the same as a road trip. This was my chance.
After only a few e-mails, Paul and I decided to join forces for a couple weeks.

Day 1
I landed in San Diego at 9 am and within 15 minutes had picked up my bags, called Paul, walked out to the curb, met Paul, and we hit the road. Let the festivities begin. Stop one was at Costco to exchange money and then off to the border. We got through quickly, were briefly checked over and I got my visa. Our next stop was south of Ensenada. Paul is retired from a career making prothesises. We stopped at Clinic Siloe for Paul to check on a young boy with a missing arm. Paul needed to check and make adjustments as the boy learned to adapt to his loss. The arm had been made by Paul's group of volunteers earlier. We also were shown the dental clinic that was being conducted by volunteers that day. This was my first glimpse of all the good work done by volunteers on behalf of the people of Baja. We later ate lunch at Tacos La Plobana in Maneadero, very good. As an agriculture teacher, I was very impressed with the huge agriculture enterprises in the area. Hundreds of acres of shade houses. We stopped and checked in at La Mision Santa Maria at Los Pinos Ranch. Made happy hour at Cielito Lindo and then returned to the hotel. There we met the members of a Flying Samaritans team that Paul would work with the next morning. The group was made up of five doctors and pilots and three med students from UC Davis. We sat around with some cervazas and smoked yellowtail that Paul had provided and got to know each other. Great group of guys. Later went to Jardines for dinner and had the Baja Shrimp, excellent. Very nice room at La Mision, Great first day, slept like a baby!

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-2-2013 at 08:07 PM
FROM A pee ant pilot

WE ALL have Lost so many fly folks in Baja ...Good folks helping out in the world...bums me out that the poor excuse for media dosnt do more for these awesome folks that give their lives to help other humans that they have never met and pay those cost....Their are good human's still left on this chuck of spinning rock......BTW sunday morn is a wild eclipse.....sea YA !!
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2013 at 08:21 PM

keep it coming...want to hear more about your adventures

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-3-2013 at 10:06 AM

Thanks for the trip report!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2013 at 11:23 AM

Yes they do good work. Thanks
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 11-3-2013 at 11:25 AM

Nice trip report, JC!

Keep them coming!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2013 at 12:57 PM

got some pics ? great report !

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.