Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mex 1 top to bottom, part 2
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 11-2-2013 at 09:10 PM
Mex 1 top to bottom, part 2

Day 2
We got up, had breakfast and packed to head out to the Flying Sams clinic at Los Pinos Ranch. There were a ton of people waiting there for services. Paul saw eight people that morning that were amputees needing various levels of service, Some only needed adjustments, others had measurements taken to begin the task of replacing lost limbs. The clinic had doctors providing medical, dental and optometry services as well. There was a good crowd because besides the patients, there were many students there to receive school scholarships. There is a lot of need here and over $6,000 in scholarships were handed out that day. I saw a lot of very proud students and parents that day. Around noon we headed south. Paul stopped in El Rosario so I could experience Mama Espinosas for the first time. I'd heard so much from nomads about this historic spot that I had to check it out, very cool. We next stopped at the site of Mision San Fernando Velicata. Then we started into the Cirios country, very unique. Drove out to the mine site at El Marmol and saw the Onyx school house. Back on the road, we went through the Catavina boulder fields. This area seems so artificial. Its hard to believe what you are seeing, it looks kind of lunar. We then had lunch at Desert Inn Catavina and then swung by the Sams clinic at Rancho Santa Inez. I'm surprised and amazed at the locations where volunteers set up opportunities for those in need. Gotta Peso was no where in sight. We headed south and took the cutoff to BOLA. Arrived to the sight of the beautiful bay and got a room at Casa Diaz, right on the beach. Pretty rustic digs here but with a breeze and some cold beers, everything worked out. Decided to sleep out on the porch that night. Pretty hot and no breeze through our room, ok outside. They had some interesting two by four and burlap cots we took out. Somebody forgot the memory foam but the moonlight on the water was a wonderful view to go to sleep with.

Day 3
Woke up to one of the most incredible sunrises ever. Layers of vivid orange shades. Great way to start the day! Packed up early, stopped for breakfast, and headed out. Going the back way to Mex 1 so we can stop at the San Borja Mission. Forty miles of bad road. We stopped and took a tour of the missions, both the original and the current. Ranchers still come to the church monthly. Don't know where they come from, we hadn't seen a soul in forty miles. The remote locations of these missions and ranches amaze me. You go for miles through desert and all of a sudden here is something in the middle of nowhere. I suppose it was all about water. Worked our way out to 1 and worked south to Guerrero Negro. Lots of flat open desert. Stopped in Viscaino at the bank and headed west. Lots of potholes on the way, but we made Bahia Asuncion in about two hours. We drove by Paul's trailer and then checked out the neighborhood. Not two blocks from Paul's we ran into a party. Stopped in for beer and food and met lots of people. First of all was Shari! This one person chamber of commerce introduced me to everyone. What a great time they were having. This was an exciting first glimpse of how they do it in BA. I was planning on spending about a week here and I wasn't going to be disappointed. And, it just happened to be fiesta time in town! Paul and I went back to his place to set a few things up and then went to La Palapa for dinner on the water. Great food here, I went back often. Got back to camp and had a few beers and then got on line in my wi-fi hotspot. Actually a corner of Paul's lot where I could get reception from a neighbor who Paul has an arrangement with. Went to sleep to a cool breeze and the sound of the surf 100 yards away. Looking forward to my stay in BA!

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-2-2013 at 09:44 PM

sounds good....

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2013 at 07:47 AM

Nothing better than those Sea of Cortez sunrises.
boe4fun
Super Nomad

Mood: Circling the drain........

[*] posted on 11-3-2013 at 09:25 AM

Great report so far John, glad your daily journal reports paid off. Keep em comin!

Two dirt roads diverged in Baja and I, I took the one less graveled by......

Soy ignorante, apático y ambivalente. No lo sé y no me importa, ni modo.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-3-2013 at 10:17 AM

Nice report JBCOUG, and you see why we try and get folks to not race to Cabo and call it a Baja vacation... when so much is before it!

Yes, San Borja is there because of the springs... hot sulfur springs, but once the water cools, it is drinkable (at least to the Indians and missionaries)!
The mission was founded in 1762 by the Jesuits. The adobe building was expanded by the Franciscans (1768-1773) and the stone building was built by the Dominicans (1773-1818), completed in 1801 (except for the bell tower).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2013 at 11:26 AM

More good stuff, thanks

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.