BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: B1K in a nut shell (bikes)
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 07:59 PM
B1K in a nut shell (bikes)

like it or not, here it is. (chilly's take anyway)

Well it is that time again. The Baja 1000 is just around the corner. Has been the case for the 2013 year so far, all the news revolves around the SCORE organization.

As SCORE continues to tinker with the race direction, everyone is wondering what the outcome will be. Once again, the race could end being decided by the rules and decisions of the organizers, rather than the efforts of the racers. But that is not particularly new to Baja either, that which has changed is really more or less the same.

The first big change will be the night start. With Pro Motorcycles scheduled to leave the start line at 11 pm on Thursday, they will be racing out of Ensenada in the dark for the first time. If you have not been following along, this was a move to get the slow motorcycles and fast Trophy Trucks farther away from each other. SCORE wants to see less of the potentially dangerous overtaking of Sportsman motorcycles by trucks.

The idea is good at heart. I am all for anything that leads to safer racing. The question is- is this really safer? While there have been incidents between trucks and motorcycles, statistically it is way down the list of ways to get hurt in Baja. As for starting through the streets of Ensenada in the dark, it seems really dangerous to me.

If you have never had a chance to ride the typical start, it consists of a couple of miles right through the middle of town plus another 20 miles of urban gran prix as it winds through rough subdivisions, new construction and scattered farms and houses. At race speed it has to look like a wild “need for speed” kind of video game. I can only imagine doing it all in the dark.

At the start of the race it can be very dusty and tricky to pass. If the fog comes in it will even be worse. Navigation is based entirely on having prerun the start many times to learn all the turns. SCORE has thrown another wrench in the works now, not allowing any prerunning to take place between the start and Ojos Negros, the first 40 some miles of the race!

So now, it is not only dark, but you don’t get to learn the first part of the course either. As of today that decision stands, but I would not be surprised to see an 11th hour move on SCORE’s part to open it up for prerunning. Just one more decision that will probably benefit some teams while leaving others caught off guard.

In general, SCORE racing is on a marked course. The use of a GPS on motorcycles is a backup measure and typically just for the less experienced Sportsman riders. Without the opportunity to prerun, navigating the start and finish will be impossible without GPS for most teams.

The timing of the night start also means that nearly everyone will also finish the race in the dark. Hence they will have to run lights twice. That adds another level of complexity to the event. I am guessing that the first two or three bikes in might arrive before nightfall on Friday evening.

Next on the list of changes is the new qualifying procedure for the Pro motorcycle classes. The day before the race there will be a short scrambles track set up in Ojos Negros. Each team will have one rider race a qualifying lap to determine the start order. The rider who does the qualifying will also have to start the race. As I understand it, all Pro classes will start together based on qualifying performance.

It is an interesting idea. When they announced it for the Trophy Trucks earlier this year, it made lots of sense. The class is huge and there are vast differences in speed between the fast and slow teams. A team’s draw position had a huge effect on their race prospects.

In the Pro motorcycle classes, it is hard to say that this same fact holds true, particularly for the class 22 teams. The class is not that big. Draw position may not have much effect on the race. What this does offer is the chance for the fastest class 30 and 40 teams to start towards the front, well ahead of other teams in their class. Is that fair? I don’t know.

Ultimately this could lead to a new part of the whole Baja show, adding a day of racing that many people can watch. But at the Baja 500 spectators were not allowed for the truck qualifying. For now, it is just one more day of racing, travel and preparations that the Pro motorcycle teams will have to go through.

SCORE has changed to new tracking systems for this race. Live tracking will be available for all vehicles during the race on the Dirtlive.com website. I will be amazed if I actually get to sit in front of the computer and follow the lead motorcycles, let’s keep our fingers crossed. They are charging each team nearly $300 to rent the tracking equipment for the race. It is not available for purchase. Yes, the costs are rising faster than…. well I seem to be at a loss for a good metaphor here.

The new Pro Ironman class will be an interesting one to watch. According to the website there are eight entries in the class, including Alexander Smith. Entered in class 21 is a team led by MotoGP racer Colin Edwards. That should bring some excitement to the event also. There is a good article about his team in the current Cycle News.

So what about the big boys, the class 22 motorcycles? Here are the top teams:

1x Honda: Timmy Weigand, Colton Udall, David Kamo

4x Kawasaki: Robby Bell, David Pearson, Steve Hengeveld, Taylor Robert, Ricky Brabec

2x KTM: Kurt Caselli, Ivan Ramirez, Mike Brown, Kendall Norman

Frankly there is not much to report. I have not received a scrap of information from any team. KTM has finally decided that they need Kendall Norman on the bike. I am glad to see it, they need the rider and experience and Kendall needs a ride. I expect that Kendall will put in a solid ride, but I would be surprised to see him really stand out from any of the other riders he will be battling. It looks like KTM is still hanging on to the old twin cam 450sxf that they have been racing for the past two years.

I don’t have anything to report on the Kawasaki or Honda teams. Let’s face it, things have been at a stale mate this year. The teams are matched very close and there has not been much action to change that. Last June at the Baja 500, both KTM and Kawasaki crashed their way out of any shot at a win. Both with riders considered least likely to lose it, Caselli and Hengeveld.

Where does that leave us? If you are standing at the gambling table, you swear that it can only land on red so many times before hitting black. But the smart money knows that the percentage of each roll never changes, regardless of the previous outcome. So I guess we will keep betting the red. Someone else is bound to win sooner or later, but the odds are still probably in favor of the Honda. They are the team that consistently makes the fewest mistakes.

The last aspect of the night start is this – as a journalist/spectator/enthusiast, there will be almost nothing to see during the race. Typically I would head out to Ojos Negros at daylight and catch the first few Pro bikes as they cross the road there. That is where most of the spectacular Baja photos that you see come from.

The low morning light typically makes for a great photo opportunity. The bikes are still bunched together, so you can get lots of photos. From there, I would head towards Nuevo Junction or Borrego to get a second group of shots. Finally I would head back to town to catch the finish line action. All in all it makes a good plan for the day and we end up with lots of photos and quick quotes at the rider changes.

With the night start, that is all out the window. There are really no good chances for timely race photos, just at the start and finish. These will probably both be in the dark. If I wanted daylight photos, I would probably have to go way down south towards Catavina and wait hours for the top teams in each class to pass. Then I would be stuck down there and miss the finish.

As I see it, there is really nothing for me to do at the Baja 1000. So my plan right now is to stay home. I am not even going to go. I will contract with someone else for photos and watch the live tracking from home. That will be more race information than I could get by actually being there.

With so many new changes to the program, I am sure that I have probably misstated something. Feel free to jump in to correct or comment as needed. If you have a favorite team you want to give a shout out to, leave a comment. We hope for a safe race for all the riders.

[Edited on 11-8-2013 by willardguy]
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 08:03 PM
Willardguy !!

Good info ...thanks... Can I buy your avatar a pair of shades ???:cool: and,,,, what year did you get your picture taken for that ???............
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
Good info ...thanks... Can I buy your avatar a pair of shades ???:cool: and,,,, what year did you get your picture taken for that ???............
thanks cappy, never leave home without em!

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 08:18 PM

B1k, get outta my way!

crossing around 7am Fri.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 08:29 PM

That had me on the edge of my seat. Doesn't sound good for spectators to see the bikes. I think Taylor will be coming thru RM 605 around 11AM. I'll make sure to get photos!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 11:56 PM

One concern I have for racers leaving Ensenada in the dark is the amount of 'local spectators' who throw rocks at racers or build surprise booby traps trying to cause a wreck to add some sad, sick thrill to their lives. In the dark, they are less likely to fear scorn from the 'good spectators' or get caught if their actions cause death or injury. At the '79 Baja 1000, we had a few chunks of concrete and rocks land in the racer as we were heading out of downtown towards Ojos... and a severe booby trap that probably caused us to break down...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 12:05 PM

The pro bikes start every two minutes and sportsman every minute. Cars and trucks every 30 seconds as usual. Norman consulted with several of the bike riders about this format and from what I hear they approved it. Robby Bell said he liked it.

As to keeping slow bikes and cars/trucks apart it won't happen here. Best estimate is the fast TTs will catch the slow bike riders as they head west between at RM400 to RM450. The biker will be going into the silt beds and the sun will be setting in his eyes. For example if the last bike leaves at 1am and averages 25mph he'll reach RM400 at 5pm. The 1st TT leaves at 9am and averages 50mph he'll reach RM400 at 5pm. Not a good combo, but we'll see.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 12:10 PM

In 40 years of racing cars and bikes together, this is the longest separation of starting times between the two groups half a day (or night)! Is there anything better?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 12:17 PM

The tracking system they are using a Spot. It has been setup to send a signal every 2.5 minutes, I think that's what I was told. You have to get them put on at the start line and turned on then so the batteries will last. Norman used the same system at his last Reno race and it work really good. NORRA used it at their Sept 500 rally.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
In 40 years of racing cars and bikes together, this is the longest separation of starting times between the two groups half a day (or night)! Is there anything better?

If the cars and trucks still catch the bikes it's not better. The best way would be separate days for the 1000. Bikes on Thursday and cars/trucks on Friday that would be total separation. But it means more people or longer shifts for the course workers. I would be interested in how many bikes beat the 4 wheelers to the finish line.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 12:34 PM

Lots of "other" things to think about than just going fast .... thanks

even sunglasses .. :lol:

[Edited on 11-8-2013 by wessongroup]

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 12:43 PM

business and safety, delicate balancing act for sure. lets hope for the best!:yes:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 03:27 PM

How many times has a four wheeled racer injured a two wheeled racer. Is it the four wheeled racers fault? Do they not sound a horn so the bike can let the truck pass? How about the Trophy Trucks and Class Ones going first, or at least ahead of the slower bikes? Just throwing out ideas... I agree with Willard and Wesson's comments.

[Edited on 11-8-2013 by David K]

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 05:49 PM

When Norman hit the bike a couple of years ago the biker pulled over to let the 1st TT go by but instead of waiting for the dust to settle he pulled back on course and BAM. He wasn't killed and Norman had him ride with him in another race. That's what is behind Norman wanting keep the bikes and cars apart.

A few years earlier a biker was killed in a SF250 race in the dust the truck couldn't see him.

A few years before that a Japanese rider stop in the middle of the race course after a turn. It was the wash below the summit. When the race car came around there was no where to go and couldn't stop in time and ran over him. He died later in the hospital.

These are some I remember.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 05:54 PM

In the NORRA Mexican 1000 in May a biker was killed on the road from La Purisima to hwy 1 north of Loreto. The biker moved over for the car to pass but hit a rock or lost control and fell in front of the car. Dr. Bud Fellcamp (sp) was behind them and tried to save his life but couldn't, too much blood lost.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 05:57 PM

Baja is a wonderful place but racing with trophy trucks is like stepping into a lions den for mc riders. These race truck guys do not slow down when they come up from behind and even though the trucks are as loud as a top fuel dragster, you still cannot hear them when you are going fast on a bike. They make passes within inches of your handle bars at well over 100mph. It's one of the scariest things I can think of. I think it's time the SCORE series starts the fastest, most powerful race vehicles BEFORE the motorcycles instead of the other way around. So what if it takes longer for the race to finish, it most certainly would prevent accidents

Don't believe everything you think....
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 06:00 PM

im with TW, make it a two day event, but in the meantime start the bikes at ojo's. the spectators in ensenada dont give a ratzass about the bikes anyway, they wanna see the trophy trucks! of course jmho.

[Edited on 11-9-2013 by willardguy]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 06:00 PM

Thank you for the data Tom... Dr. Bud Feldcamp (sp?) has been racing a LONG time... Didn't he co-drive with Bobby Ferro or Malcolm Smith back in the 70's/ 80's? I think he was the doctor who prescribed off road racing to his patients with stress disorders?

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 06:03 PM

One thing that some have proposed is when a car/truck catches a bike all the following bikes must stop at the next ck pt. Some say that should be the end of the race for the bikers and some say let them continue after a given time period when all the faster cars go by.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 06:05 PM

I'm not sure who he raced with but I've heard his name for SCORE races from back in the 80s.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.