Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mex 1 top to bottom, part 4
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 11-11-2013 at 07:44 PM
Mex 1 top to bottom, part 4

Day 8
Today is my anniversary. I'm thankful that my wife was supportive of me taking this trip and having to miss my anniversary with her. Thanks Honey! I got to Juan and Shari's about 7:15. It was just going to be Juan, Sirenita and I. I don't think Juan had been excited about going out today, but since Sirenita wanted to go, he agreed. I considered myself very lucky. Not only would I get a trip with a great skipper, but I got to be an observer on a casual family outing. We loaded the boat and headed off for San Roque Island. We saw lots of seals and pelicans and dolphins on the way out. Beautiful scenery. From the first we let out our lines, Sirenita and I had seven yellowtail in the boat in an hour. Too much work for me, time for a break. I had also lost another yellowtail right at the boat, looked like it might have been my biggest. Juan took over for a while and then Sirenita and I got the last three. All were nice fish, but some were really large. When we got in Juan filleted one for me to take. It would make several huge meals for Paul and I. We had limited out with 15 fish in about three hours boat time. I had asked Juan earlier about catching more fish than I would use because I didn't want any to go to waste. He assured me there were plenty of families that could use food. Later in the day I saw a number of families with happy smiles leaving with fish we had caught. There would be no waste. Beautiful day, calm water, very little wind. I was so lucky to go out with Juan and Sirenita. Great company! Excellent trip! Best three hours of fishing ever! Dropped fish at restaurant on the way home with plans for lunch tomorrow and dinner Sunday. I thought the day couldn't get any better, I was wrong. Shari called Paul to say that Udo and Jana had invited a few nomads over for dinner. We accepted not knowing what was in store. I had met Udo briefly the day before. When we arrived at their house it was immediately clear we were in for a treat. I wasn't aware that they were fabulous chefs. They were only down for a three day visit, but had brought all the makings for several fabulous meals. Dinner was a four star event! Wish my wife had been there, I couldn't have topped this for an anniversary dinner. Everything was delicious. It was a wonderful evening visiting and getting to know a little of their history. Wonderful people. Also met Reno Joe that evening. Went to bed that night mighty satisfied.

Day 9
Just stayed around Paul's much of today. Breakfast at Juanita's. I began to feel like a regular. Later spent a couple of hours surf fishing. Caught three halibut and some other little guy. Gave away or released todays catch. Had lunch today of Yellowtail, Mojo de Ajo. Delicious. Way more than we could eat, gave leftovers to Paul's friend Zoe. Dinner back at Brisas today, cheeseburger with avocado, very good. Went down to the beach and watched the volleyball and kids soccer games that were part of the fiesta. One out of bounds line was the surf to keep things interesting. Noticed the semi load of Tecate was running low. Unfortunately we missed the event of the evening, the Midget rodeo. We got the outboard off of Paul's boat and into his truck for a trip to La Paz for repairs.

Day 10
Last full day in BA. Went to Don Ramones for shrimp tacos. Spent a couple hours fishing and caught a couple halibut that I gave away and a small ray which was released. Took a little time off today to relax and pack for tomorrow, I'll be leaving. Went to Brisas for dinner. They made fish tacos from my yellowtail, the best yet! We later went to check on the fishing tournament weigh in but somehow missed it. Met up with Juan and Shari and Reno Joe to go to the horse races, but no dice. Nobody seemed to know if they were canceled or what. Oh well, we went to the off road races instead. This was very cool. We watched from right near the top of one of the hills and the trucks just blasted past. You had to keep your head in the game or you might get run over. Met some new friends that were locals. This was the end of quite a variety of fiesta events. These guys know how to host a shindig! It was fun times in BA. Went to bed early after finishing my packing. I'm definitely going to miss this village and its people.

Day 11
We left about 6:30 for Viscaino. The plan was to drop Pauls truck off for a few hours to have a lift kit installed. Got a delicious omelet at a nearby restaurant and checked e-mail on their wi-fi. Walked to a pharmacy for some Benedryl for some itching bug bites. Got back to the mechanic and couldn't find Paul or the truck. They couldn't do the work so Paul had headed out looking for me. We met up a little later, fueled, and headed south ahead of schedule. We stopped in San Ignacio, very cool oasis town.Went through the cave painting museum and the church. Very interesting little town. Next we drove on to Santa Rosalia. Went by the Eiffel designed church and looked at all the old French quarter type neighborhoods. This town had an entirely different feel. On to Mulege and lunch at Danny's Tacos. Stopped along the drive to check out a couple camping areas around Bahia San Lucas as well. We drove along the river in Mulege to check out the flood damge and see some of the camping areas. As we drove south along Bahia Concepcion, Paul pointed out all the little bays. They seemed more visible than when I first visited the area a few years ago. I suppose my attention was more on the road as I drove buy on my first visit. That road can be pretty hairy. We arrived in Loreto and stopped at a house where Paul would be conducting a clinic in the morning. We only had to go a couple more blocks and checked into a casa that the Vagabundos provided for Paul for his clinic stop. Took a dip in the pool and a shower as it was hotter than hell with max humidity. Had a dinner of garlic butter scallops at La Palapa that was great.

Day 12
I slept in while Paul conducted his clinic. He met with 12 patients that morning getting information that would help his group meet their needs during their fall clinic in La Paz. I had no idea there was such a need or that there were so many people trying to meet that need. Excellent work!
When we left town we were headed to San Javier. We found that it was paved all the way but there are some precarious wash outs (nothing like the next week would bring though). It's a long twisting climb to the town and mission. We stopped several times to check out the fabulous view back towards Loreto and the Islands. Paul also stopped to show me a small sample of cave paintings. I was really happy to see one of the few places where the paintings are easily accessible. It's incredible that they have lasted so long. I was deeply saddened to hear that flooding damage due to the hurricane a few days later wiped out these paintings. It's hard to believe that something that had stood the elements for so long could just as easily be destroyed. Thanks Paul for giving me a chance to see them in their last days. The road in was also seriously damaged by the hurricane trapping the residents for days. We ate at the Palapa in San Javier. The village was immaculate. I visited the mission and took a short tour of the grounds. I was really impressed with the old cistern and the 400 year old olive tree that is still producing. We left the back way west. About 40 miles of twisty, rocky road. Not too bad, but it criss crossed the stream bed over 25 times and we only touched water once. Within days this would become a raging torrent due to the hurricanes. We got back on Mex 1 north of Ciudad Insurgentes and headed for La Paz. The airport was on the way in so we stopped so I could pick up the rental car I would finish my trip with. Paul went on some errands and I headed for the Villa Marina Hotel out on the end of the malecon where we would spend the night. I ate that night at the Dingy Dock there at the hotel. Paul had a late meeting with the La Paz Rotary Club that supports their local clinic.

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-12-2013 at 10:11 PM

That olive tree, in San Javier is spooky it makes for a great picture.San Javier is my favorite mission in BAJA..Nice report any pix..

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-13-2013 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
That olive tree, in San Javier is spooky it makes for a great picture.San Javier is my favorite mission in BAJA..Nice report any pix..

New article on the history of San Javier: San Javier

Founded first at today's 'Rancho Viejo' in November, 1699, the mission was moved to the current site around 1710 and the stone church was completed in 1758. That Olive tree might be closer to 300 years old... no less spectacular, however!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.