Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: BJ Baldwin Hits Rob Mac Crew Member in Pit
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2013 at 10:25 AM
BJ Baldwin Hits Rob Mac Crew Member in Pit

It's not pretty. I was told BJ went on after being told the crew member was being cared for and was not seriously hurt. He was lucky for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKXNKEcv4AQ

[Edited on 11-30-2013 by TW]
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 11-30-2013 at 10:56 AM

"Not seriously hurt" ????

WTF....you see that guy getting hit??

That's racing, I guess ....step back, folks....:o:o:o

Don't believe everything you think....
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2013 at 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
"Not seriously hurt" ????

WTF....you see that guy getting hit??

That's racing, I guess ....step back, folks....:o:o:o

I hope he is OK. Race or no race, I am a bit surprised the Police allowed BJ to leave. I guess they knew they could find him later if necessary. As you said, TW, it is not pretty.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-30-2013 at 11:30 AM

unless i didn't see it right, it looks like not one single crew member from EITHER team came to look after that guy. and was that good ol BJ just driving past without even pausing for a look?

that really makes you wonder about the mentality......

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 11-30-2013 at 02:06 PM

At least I hope that in the future that the Rockstar team will instruct the rookie pit guy they send out with the sign to A. Make sure the driver doesn't miss the pit. and B. Cheeze and Rice, don't walk down the middle of the track in the dust with your back turned to traffic after you do that.

Getting hit by a ballistic object whether a physical thing or an ATTITUDE, could have long lasting effects on the victim. Accidents happen. Sometimes they take you out of the race. In the non-corporate sponsorship world, I think it would be appropriate, if one ran-down a competitor, to hang around until the victim was conscious and clearly OK. $port$man$hip, as it stands in SCORE today, seems to have been caught on tape. What I saw in the tape was that the crewman showed NO signs of life while the Ballistic BJ stayed on the scene. A Rockstar pit guy came to his aid at :54. At 1:04 there are feet at Baldwin's door, no one else comes close to him after that, and certainly not from the direction of the motionless victim. I don't see any way he could have known the victim wasn't dead or dying before he continued to his win.

I hate to see that attitude, 'cause I flippin' LOVE Baja racing, and devour the videos by the hour.

The sound of a body being hit is awesome. I watched a buddy get blown out of a crosswalk in Petaluma CA in '71. It sounded just like that! Only one broken bone, but never a full recovery. Can someone find out how the guy in the video is doing?

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2013 at 02:16 PM

Some of the comments after the video are really incredible. No matter who was at fault, a person was injured. An example of one comment.

"Holefully he didn't die just paralyzed that way he'll remember that hesw in a wheelchair for being a dumbass"

It is just amazing to me that anyone would actually say that! :no:
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2013 at 02:27 PM

Oh, Diana, I'm afraid that no person of culture should look below the fold at the comments. Throughout the www, these comment threads provide a public forum for the absolute lowest common denominator of human beings. It is entirely too depressing to see.

I am continuously haunted by the fact that any of these hideously hateful and ignorant comments coming from a citizen over 18, means that they may be coming from a person who can cancel-out MY vote.:fire:

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

Bill Kauth

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2013 at 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Oh, Diana, I'm afraid that no person of culture should look below the fold at the comments. Throughout the www, these comment threads provide a public forum for the absolute lowest common denominator of human beings. It is entirely too depressing to see.

I am continuously haunted by the fact that any of these hideously hateful and ignorant comments coming from a citizen over 18, means that they may be coming from a person who can cancel-out MY vote.:fire:

Thanks and good point.
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2013 at 06:22 PM

Quote:
At least I hope that in the future that the Rockstar team will instruct the rookie pit guy they send out with the sign

Can someone find out how the guy in the video is doing?

The guy is recovering with no major injuries. He was in the hospital for 2 days and released to home care for recovery.

The crew guy who was hit is 50ish year old guy, a friend of mine, mechanic and fabricator who has been involved in off road racing for 30+ years on a few of the top tier teams and he knows what to do, but he obviously misjudged and didn't see or pay attention to BJ coming so close behind Rob. He's as lucky as they come and lucky BJ was only traveling 35 mph and braking and trying to skid sideways when he struck him.

Racing at this level is the real deal and everyone needs to be on your highest alert anytime you're even close to the racecourse. The trucks, equipment, fueling systems, size of tires, and speeds of the trucks these days is amazing when you really look into it.

:cool:

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-30-2013 at 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Desertbull
Quote:
At least I hope that in the future that the Rockstar team will instruct the rookie pit guy they send out with the sign

The guy is recovering with no major injuries. He was in the hospital for 2 days and released to home care for recovery.

The crew guy who was hit is 50ish year old guy, a friend of mine, mechanic and fabricator who has been involved in off road racing for 30+ years on a few of the top tier teams and he knows what to do, but he obviously misjudged and didn't see or pay attention to BJ coming so close behind Rob. He's as lucky as they come and lucky BJ was only traveling 35 mph and braking and trying to skid sideways when he struck him.

Racing at this level is the real deal and everyone needs to be on your highest alert anytime you're even close to the racecourse. The trucks, equipment, fueling systems, size of tires, and speeds of the trucks these days is amazing when you really look into it.

That is GREAT news that he is not seriously injured! Great news. :yes:
Timo1
Senior Nomad

Mood: Lovin every minute of it

[*] posted on 11-30-2013 at 07:59 PM

I think I'll just go fishing and miss all the racing and mis-haps

sold out and got out !!!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 12:18 PM

Thanks Tim for the update. I wish him a speedy recovery.
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
Originally posted by Desertbull
Quote:

That is GREAT news that he is not seriously injured! Great news. :yes:

I don't recall seeing any information regarding The Texas Trophy Truck that was pre-running at excessive speed last year, topped a rise and had that head-on collision with the christian family's mini-van.

I do recall there was another vehicle pre-running the course at safe speeds and said these guys blew by them at over 100 mph then hit the mini-van. They were both medics and pretty much saved the guy driver and were disappointed that no helicopter was allowed to come and pick up the victims even though they were close to the Border and brown field.

Anyone have anything further on that?
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 03:51 PM

Quote:
...... Throughout the www ..... comment threads provide a public forum for the absolute lowest common denominator of human beings. It is entirely too depressing ....

V,

I sure glad that doesn't happen here on BN...... :biggrin:

Don't believe everything you think....
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 05:44 PM

Ged, I speak my unpopular truth often enough here that I automatically have to own some of that. Being real about how depressing the planet has become has a social price. It seems to me that if there were some sort of electronic filter that would not allow individuals with diminished intellectual capacity to write: "Thats so GAY", there would be half as many responses on such comment pages.

Thanks, Desert Bull, for the facts.

And, I have reassessed what I think of SCORE in this situation. I doubt that if a NASCAR driver killed a pit crewman, there would be any rule that REQUIRED to driver/team to stop racing. Death on the racetrack doesn't end the Indy or Datona or even take the damaged cars out of the race if they will still run. Hospitalizing a pit crewman in Baja may not be reason to get out of the car. Otherwise, the radiator is in the back, no reason to check it. Baldwin lost 68 seconds from impact until racing again. I'd still be a fan if he'd used that time to hop out, run over, and show some concern in front of the inevitable cameras.

Bill Kauth

freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 08:15 PM

this is not first time a Baldwin has been involved in crash . his brother Jason, killed in a plane crash , killed spectator in the late 90's .

[Edited on 12-2-2013 by freediverbrian]
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-1-2013 at 10:03 PM

Inaccurate information sir.

Jason Baldwin with Baldwin Racing based out of Newport Beach, CA was involved in that unfortunate racing death in the San Felipe 250 race. Jason was later killed in a small plane accident that went down 3 miles offshore of Dana Point, CA after the Baja 1000 while returning to OC on Nov 19, 2005.

BJ Baldwin with Baldwin Motorsports based out of Las Vegas, Nevada was involved in this year's accident involving MacCachren's crew member.

Different families not related AT ALL.

Different race teams based far apart that are not related.

BJ's father, Bobby Baldwin, is the President/CEO of MGM International, again no relation to the other Baldwins.

Quote:
Originally posted by freediverbrian
this is not first time a Baldwin has been involved in crash . his brother Jason, killed in a plane crash , killed spectator in the late 90's .

[Edited on 12-2-2013 by freediverbrian]

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
freediverbrian
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-2-2013 at 06:40 PM

What? Really ! Next your going to tell me that Jeff and Robbie Gorden are not related

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.