BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Bait fish decline (reported at Baja science conference)
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 11:04 AM
Bait fish decline (reported at Baja science conference)

From news report:
FIS - Worldnews - Small pelagic abundance associated with climate change

http://shar.es/9b60R

"The volume of sardines, anchovy and mackerel catches declined significantly in the country in recent years, a situation that links to what happens in the rest of the Pacific coast of North America, the National Fisheries Institute (Inapesca) informed.

"Mexican, American and Canadian scientists addressed this issue in early December at the Centre for Scientific Research and Higher Education of Ensenada (CICESE), where they met to propose measures to help improve the production of these small pelagic fish."

http://www.fis.com/fis/worldnews/worldnews.asp?monthyear=&am...

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
coconaco
Nomad

Mood: respooled

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 11:36 AM

They "think" it is climate change.

no mention of the over harvesting to feed fish pens and pigs.
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 12:25 PM

Well, in conjunction with that, does anyone know how those fish are being monitored for Japanese radiation? Small bait fish are likely to pick up the Strontium that concentrates in bones. That ocean radiation flume is "aimed" at So Cal and Baja and should have arrived by now. I haven't seen much reporting about it in either location.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 12:47 PM

I cant imagine that the amount needed to feed fish pens is significant compared to the amount turned into animal feed, fertilizer and fish oil for paint/varnish, etc.

But the number one use of sardines is still for direct human consumption, worldwide. Maybe not in the Pacific coast of North America, however.
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 01:21 PM

I can say without equivocation that there a not near as many "bait balls" up and down the SOC now, as I have seen in years past.

The Conception bay area used to be rife will bait balls, now whenever I pass by, hardly any are seen.
Same thing in my local fishing area Loreto.....there were always balls of bait....all over. Inshore, offshore......in-between shores.
Now in the last couple of years, even the sardines are absent from the harbor area, when before, with one to two tosses of a net, a tank full could be had.
Now it's scratch for a few wayward ones, a jurelito now and again and old Tecate bottles.

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 01:31 PM
more on sardine/anchovy changes

Lots of research out there. Dr. Baumgartner has been doing research at Scripps and CICESE for decades. He's also an avid waterman who has sailed/fished Baja since 1970s.

Here's another paper and research proposal: http://www.sccoos.org/docs/NOAA_FY07_IOOS.pdf

Pacific Sardines
Pacific sardine (Sardinops sagax) historically supported the largest commercial fishery in the state of California. Beginning in the late 1940s and continuing into the 1960s the sardine population of the California Current suffered a dramatic decline from almost 4 million metric tons to less than 10,000 tons during a period of cooling of the coastal ocean (Fig. 1). The sardines disappeared from their traditional fishing grounds precipitating the collapse of the sardine fishing and processing industries and impacting local economies in the region. A recovery in the population could finally be detected in the late 1980s (Fig. 1).
The public blamed poor management and overfishing for the decline while fishermen blamed it on climatic changes. Both may be partially correct. Changes in sardine biomass are thought to reflect variability in the natural environment, but the mechanisms relating physical changes to sardine production remain obscure (Lluch-Belda et al., 1989; Chavez et al., 2003).

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Sweetwater
Senior Nomad

Mood: chilly today hot tomale

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 02:10 PM

The Pacific Ocean got a huge dose of radioactive Iodine, Cesium and Strontium with the breach of the reactors at ***ushima. The corp behind those reactors, TEPCO, has been notorious in lying to cover up the extent of the initial and ongoing release of radiation. It's here and won't be leaving soon.

Quote:

“Thyroid cancers up in ***ushima“, Japan Times, 23 December 2013 — “Experts say link to disaster not yet established” Excerpt: Screening of ***ushima residents who were 18 or younger at the time of the 2011 nuclear disaster had found 26 confirmed and 32 suspected cases of thyroid cancer as of Sept. 30, according to the ***ushima Prefectural Government. The number of confirmed cases was up by eight from August, while the suspected cases rose by seven, the prefecture-led study found. About 226,000 people have undergone the screening program since it kicked off in October 2011. The 26 confirmed cases underwent surgery and are doing well, according to the prefecture. A panel of experts at the prefecture concluded Tuesday that it is too early to link the cases to the nuclear disaster, given that papillary thyroid cancer — the type found in the 26 people — develops at a very slow pace, according to prefectural officials. Following the 1986 Chernobyl catastrophe, it took about four to five years for thyroid cancers in significant number to be detected. Thyroid cancer is considered a major health concern for children because radioactive iodine spewed by the crippled nuclear plant tends to accumulate in thyroid glands, especially among young children. Following the Chernobyl disaster, more than 6,000 children were diagnosed with thyroid cancer, according to the U.N. Scientific Committee, which attributed many of the cases to consumption of contaminated milk. According to media reports, thyroid cancer normally strikes about 1 to 2 people aged 10 to 14 per million in Japan, far less than about 115 in 1 million cases in ***ushima. However, the figure cannot be simply compared, because the screening in ***ushima targets all children under 18, most of whom are without any symptoms, and no such screening is being done elsewhere in Japan.

Everbody\'s preachin\' at me that we all wanna git to heaven, trouble is, nobody wants to die to git there.-BB King
Reality is what does not go away when you stop believing in it. -Philip K Dick
Nothing is worse than active ignorance. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe(1749-1832, German writer, artist and politician)
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I\'ve never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 02:13 PM

No sense in being silly about it, climate change caused by man is a hoax and if not for the politically correct crowd would already be totally debunked and laid to rest. Overfishing, pure and simple, is the reason for the disappearance of bait balls and fish stocks. :(
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
No sense in being silly about it, climate change caused by man is a hoax and if not for the politically correct crowd would already be totally debunked and laid to rest. Overfishing, pure and simple, is the reason for the disappearance of bait balls and fish stocks. :(

That's a pretty ignorant statement. Climate change is no longer debated by educated people, it's a fact. It isn't just one thing (overfishing) that has caused the decline although it has had a significant impact. Whining about the Mexican co-ops netting for dog food speaks only to a part of the problem. It's a multi-faceted problem requiring treatment and action on many fronts. If you choose to fight the dog food industry good on you but at the same time recognize that their are other people working on other factors and you should welcome their efforts.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 04:12 PM

cypress....if "climate change caused by man" is a hoax, then is "overfishing by man" also a hoax?....i kinda think they're one in the same.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 12-30-2013 at 04:36 PM

Quote:

I'm sure this will have no effect on you Cypress, but the blithering idiots listed on link below DO disagree with you. They have some limited education and some moderate resources to back their claims. All the scientific "debunking" a thoughtful person might need is contained in the work of the following:
http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus

Here is a great documentary available from Netflix. Released last year, it includes remarkable footage of the most massive glacier calving ever videotaped. The time-lapse photography of the shrinking glaciers is one-of-a-kind. Jim Balog and Extreme Ice Survey did the movie, and it is well worth the hour +. Go directly to 1:04:30 to watch the photographers being struck speechless.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiPlayer?movieid=70229919&trki...

If all these folks are the "politically correct" crowd, I'm sure proud to be one of them. The US National Academy of Sciences membership IS ~95% atheistic, they'd have me if I could just qualify!:lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 12-31-2013 by vgabndo]

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
neilm81301
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2013 at 12:02 AM
'Cimate change is no longer debated....'

Especially by those folks stuck in the ice in Antarctica.
Didn't Big Al tell us, years ago, that the antarctic ice would be gone by now?
Neil
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2013 at 05:15 AM

Regarding climate change. The scientists were caught cooking the books and suppressing evidence in order to sell their man-made climate change agenda. Remember the "hockey stick" graph? I guess not. The climate is always changing. I've seen what happens when regs are formulated and enforced to protect fish stocks. It's amazing how fast some species will recover.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2013 at 07:17 AM

Our planet is doomed The train wreck in N. Dakota, recent volcanoes and huge forest fires have doomed us all ..... I don't think man can match the extent that nature adds to our ruin. And from the selected articles I've read many "experts" agree.
BAN NET FISHING!

[Edited on 12-31-2013 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2013 at 08:55 AM

Quote:
Regarding climate change. The scientists were caught cooking the books and suppressing evidence in order to sell their man-made climate change agenda. Remember the "hockey stick" graph? I guess not. The climate is always changing. I've seen what happens when regs are formulated and enforced to protect fish stocks. It's amazing how fast some species will recover.
"The scientists were caught cooking the books" Yes, they all met on a secret island and conspired to push their "climate change agenda" so Al Gore could make millions.:lol:

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2013 at 09:16 AM

Monoloco, Ridicule is a cheap and easy plow, but the facts are there. Just go online and research it. Look for the "hockey stick" graph controversy pertaining to man made climate change.:D
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2013 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Monoloco, Ridicule is a cheap and easy plow, but the facts are there. Just go online and research it. Look for the "hockey stick" graph controversy pertaining to man made climate change.:D
Yes and so is hyperbole. If some scientists did indeed "cook the books" as you claim, it diminishes your argument to paint the thousands of scientists studying the issue, with that same brush.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-31-2013 at 11:07 AM
boiling bait fish

Climate Change Worse Than We Thought, Likely To Be 'Catastrophic Rather Than Simply Dangerous'

Climate change may be far worse than scientists thought, causing global temperatures to rise by at least 4 degrees Celsius by 2100, or about 7.2 degrees Fahrenheit, according to a new study.

The study, published in the journal Nature, takes a fresh look at clouds' effect on the planet, according to a report by The Guardian. The research found that as the planet heats, fewer sunlight-reflecting clouds form, causing temperatures to rise further in an upward spiral.

That number is double what many governments agree is the threshold for dangerous warming. Aside from dramatic environmental shifts like melting sea ice, many of the ills of the modern world -- starvation, poverty, war and disease -- are likely to get worse as the planet warms.

"4C would likely be catastrophic rather than simply dangerous," lead researcher Steven Sherwood told the Guardian. "For example, it would make life difficult, if not impossible, in much of the tropics, and would guarantee the eventual melting of the Greenland ice sheet and some of the Antarctic ice sheet."

Another report released earlier this month said the abrupt changes caused by rapid warming should be cause for concern, as many of climate change's biggest threats are those we aren't ready for.

In September, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change said it was "extremely likely" that human activity was the dominant cause of global warming, or about 95 percent certain -- often the gold standard in scientific accuracy.

"If this isn't an alarm bell, then I don't know what one is. If ever there were an issue that demanded greater cooperation, partnership, and committed diplomacy, this is it," U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said after the IPCC report was released.

====================

of course, the easiest solution to all this is to accuse scientists of fibbing!
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-31-2013 at 11:16 AM
baby, it's hot outside

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-1-2014 at 10:58 AM
FISH

I Think that the pacific is changing FAST !! This last year (2013) I had to tow my boat 3 HRS north if I wanted to catch salmon !! the water here in Monterey bay was too warm for the salmon...and Now with NO rain or snow its a Very bad combo with radition heading here....plus the fact of possible no river water for the salmon to spawn in....to be updated.....
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.