Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: San Basilio
TLBaja79
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 11:54 PM
San Basilio

Does anybody on here have recent information on San Basilio?

The last time I was there was about 10 years ago and it was spectacular. I am looking to set up camp there for a few days in the Spring. I have heard there is a house or houses? Any other development?

Can you still camp on the beach, is it crowded there in the spring? We are looking for a place we can stretch out and have minimal other people in the area.

Last I was there we were the only people in the area for half the time and another group showed up and camped on the other half of the beach for about half our stay. Don't get me wrong they were great and its nice to have others around but sometimes alone is nice!

Any info more recent than 10 years ago would be appreciated or another spot you know of in the Loreto/Mulege area that is similar. We enjoy the nice beach, protected cove, ability to kayak, fish, snorkel...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 12:09 AM

Every time I drive south of Concepción I have wanted to either go up the peninsula or over to San Nicolas and San Juanico/ San Basilio... It seems like a perfect Baja destination for camping from others photos I have seen.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 12:13 PM

Hola, Amigo. I made my first trip out there last spring and was the only person camping at the time. There were six sailboats anchored in the bay and they came ashore to beachcomb. Muy tranquilo. The turnoff was a little off the mileage I used because of the heavy rains the last few years. Slow going down thru the arroyo but passable. Beautiful off road Baja spot. Tio
TLBaja79
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 12:24 PM

That sounds great!
Where exactly did you turn off? North or South of that little rancho on the opposite side of the road? Easy enough to find the turnoff?

Is there a house there now? I saw something to that affect online.

Looking forward to it!
Spearo
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 02:09 PM

I recommend looking at the route on Google Earth, maybe printing the pages. There are a couple of turns that are easy to miss. You will need a high clearance 4wd vehicle.

There is a rather impressive casa on the bluff to the north. Materials must have come in on a big boat, I can't imagine hauling all that block from Mex 1.

I was there two years ago, actually pulled a 15' boat back there and had a great time. The road conditions fluctuate with the rains so its hard to tell what they would be like.

Let us know how your trip goes.

Were it not for the abdomen, man would easily reckon himself a god.

Friedrich Nietzsche
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 04:14 PM

My experience is like Spearo, same time frame...Big house was unoccupied but had an armed guard in residence....we had the place all to our selves except for a couple of boats in the anchorage.....lovely spot...

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 07:16 PM

Isn't the beach fenced off near the house on the bluff now ?? A few years ago it was. SeaTrek had a camp nearby.... that 2O+ years ago.
TLBaja79
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 10:17 PM

Sounds like its still a great place to be, thanks for the info!
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2014 at 08:14 PM

2 years ago it was not the same as 10 years ago, more populated. Most (if not all) of those small beaches/coves have been sold, and about half was already developed or in the process of development, i.e. there were houses or tool sheds. But this is important only if you arrive by boat. If you arrive by land, the beach at the end of the only access road where most non-boating people camp, is probably vacant.
coolhand
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 02:29 AM

Can be sketchy... the huge houses on the cliff have guards who become very bored at night and venture down to the beach... You won't be alone anymore.... But the wife and I still feel safe camping solo...
coolhand
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 02:44 AM

We actually only camp alone in Baja. Just my wife and I. That's why we hardly post. Anything mentioned online, we try to avoid.
Besides the amazing towns and pueblos, there are empty beaches everywhere. Our rule of thumb; camp far enough away so the meth kids can't find you, yet close enough you can walk out with water and some food.....
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 1-20-2014 at 07:29 AM

My notes say K41 but the sign may have been moved. if you are on the road past the ranch/corral the going will be rough so take the road a little farther to the north. Huge water trucks go that route to the house on the bluff. Be careful not to highcenter in some places where the trail is in a dry wash. I did not find the beach all that inviting nowadays. We came in by boat 20+ years ago and it was great then.
There's a lovers cave at the far south past the big rock. You know...two go in...three come out.:yes::yes::yes:

[Edited on 1-20-2014 by Marc]
orca1997

[*] posted on 6-16-2014 at 09:42 AM

The road between KM40/41 of Highway 1 and San Basilio is in good condition. The toughest parts are two 50 yard long stretches with boulders where the water washed away the fine material during last years rains.

[Edited on 6-16-2014 by orca1997]
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-16-2014 at 01:54 PM

For those who may never get there.....some images:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzcAqNQJlQA

Don't believe everything you think....
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 6-16-2014 at 02:27 PM

Loved the video....just as I remembered it.....and I knew some of the folks in the follow on THANKS

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2014 at 02:54 PM

the beaches are accessible. you'll have sailboats company at times. folks in the houses occasionally. other times, staff will wander down to the beach. there is one weekend, in May, I believe, when there's a large weekend party on the beach...folks from Loreto come by boat and vehicle.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
TLBaja79
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2015 at 09:53 PM

Well didn't end up going there last year.

Any new reports on the beaches there? Good place to camp, relax, enjoy the ocean?
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 11:57 AM

motoged......Nice video.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 12:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bill erhardt  
motoged......Nice video.

Yes it was, thanks Ged!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 04:20 PM

Just drove past the entrance roads today.

There is one entrance to San Juanico/San Basilio at KM 40. This goes through a ranch or 2 and there are gates to be opened and closed.

The other entrance is at KM 48.5.

Both are marked with big white signs.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.