Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 12:24 PM
Coast to Coast Baja - Trip Report

Our destinations:

The Pacific Coast for Surf
Cocos Corner
Gonzaga/Punta Final/Puertecitos/San Felipe
Ojos Negros/Trinidad area

The day after Christmas we bailed for Baja. First stop was our normal hotel in San Q that has the best cilantro salad dressing in the world.

The next morning we awoke before dawn and headed south. We stopped at Mama Espinoza's for breakfast. It was fantastico.

Later in the day we made it to our destination.

I went with the Mexican Cop Mustache for this trip by the way.

The toll road, days before collapse:

Takeoff!

Don't step on this:

New Years Eve fireworks:

Some trash we found on the beach, left by locals.

Paddling out with my daughter:

(Photobucket is really ticking me off right now. All my photos are out of order. I'm gonna cut this short)

It was time to move on. We headed for the Sea of Cortez.

More in a few....................

[Edited on 1-10-2014 by Ateo]
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 12:28 PM

I always LOVE your photos amigo...great to see the family enjoying baja like always...the mustache is a classic...hahaha

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 12:43 PM

We headed to Laguna Chapala and took the road to Coco's. This road was in bad shape (IMHO). Slow going till after Coco's.

We headed for Alfonsina's but they were booked. This is where it all started to unravel. I had planned on 3 days on the Sea of Cortez, rent a panga, chill......etc.....

But due to no rooms and not wanting to unpack the entire truck to camp again, we headed to Rancho Grande and Beluga -- but just wasn't feeling it. There was nobody even at Beluga to ask about rooms. The sun was setting and I had to make a decision.

We will be back.............

So we headed out in the dark, checked Puertecitos, and ended up in San Felipe, all the time, while driving in the dark, commenting to my family about how beautiful the Sea is off to the right. It was total blackness. No moon. Only Saturn.

Got back to the free road to TJ.

Headed to la Fonda

Poco Cielo Dinner:

$30 bucks for 4 margaritas!

We crossed with Sentri and it took about 45 minutes. It was kind of a nightmare getting into the lanes. It was backed up to the traffic circles.

We always end every Baja trip with this:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 12:52 PM

Hi Jon, thanks for the photos... some look real old with that 'classic look' feature!

Nice of you to show our book being used, but did you go into Santa Catarina village? The Santa Catalina mission site is on the other side of the town, and above the cemetery... Almost nothing remains there.

On Photobucket, you can arrange how the photos display on your album... at the very top of the first thumbnail photo see the 'Order by:' button? Click file name (or older, newer, etc.) to have the pictures in the order you want.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 12:58 PM

Thanks Shari and David.

DK: We thought about heading out to that mission but it looked like nothing remained. Once we left San Felipe I said to my co-pilot wife, "get the mission book out and see if there are any on todays stretch of drive". =)

There wasn't a whole lot of good options that day though, unless we did the ones around Rosarito/Ensenada. I think we may have passed one heading into Ensenada from Ojos area, but I can't remember...........

And yeah, I organized the photo bucket album but or some reason they were still off by a few days. Maybe it's something on my end.....camera not dying correct or something. Makes it hard to do it in chronological order! Oh well.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 01:01 PM

Mike's Sky Rancho, Santa Catarina Village, Laguna Hanson are the major tourist destinations along the Ensenada-San Felipe highway... that I can think of.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 03:21 PM

nice trip! one day we'll bump into you guys.....

Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 04:24 PM

Nice, looks like a great trip with the family!

WTF
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 05:20 PM

Ateo,
Thanks for the great trip report and fun photos of your adventure.

Seems like Nomad trip reports and photos are on the upswing lately. Keep up the good work.

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 05:48 PM

Enjoyed your photos Ateo. Nice job! Looked like a fun trip despite a few bumps...

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 06:05 PM

Overall, it looked like a fun trip. Nice report.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 07:02 PM

Thanks All. Yeah, it was a good trip. Hope to meet all of you down south someday.
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 07:08 PM

Yikkkeeeesss--------------- give a man a mex cop stache and all he does is frown!! (JK).
Love the report and photos, thanks for the ride. I too saw those VW`s so our paths may have crossed. And I drove from San Felipe to Rosarito Beach in the dark and was very bummed I missed the views so I feel your pain there!!
Again thanks for the report and pics!!
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 07:11 PM
nice job !!

You have good touch (damn good) with photos !! I almost reached over to grab a Tecate !!...:yes:
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 07:23 PM

Great trip report with all those photos! How long did it take you to post with all the pics? That would take me awhile to put together! Good job!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 01:37 AM

Nice photos. I especially liked the sunset with the bird and the lady in the surf. Looks one of those Facebook memes with some deep saying plastered on it...without the saying, which should go without saying and is totally unnecessary because the picture says it all...
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 04:33 AM

Thanks,
BajaLucy
Junior Nomad

Mood: {BajaTime}

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 08:00 AM

Nice report Ateo, :P
La Fonda- Happy Hr is No jk bit too much for my pocket ;)
SQ- Happy Hour drinks is my Best pick. Food can't go wrong either
Our journey to first trip of 2014-rumbo a Baja was good. Nothing major happen during our staying Nothing out of the ordinary. One thing got more my attention and was disappointed... :?: At the beach after those people left they left behind their TRASH bummer.. We did our good donation to our Oceanlife Sea by picking after them all their trash. Tecate cans-bags and others. It's just common sense pick up after yourself :tumble

In a world where You can Be Anything Be Yourself
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 09:03 AM

Nice! Thanks for the cool photo essay! Looks like you had a good old fashioned family vacation in Baja. Good on ya!

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 09:31 AM

Ateo, Thanks, glad you had a great family trip.
Lucy, Mexico never had Ladybird Johnson, she changed Americas attitude about littering(litter bug was her term). Read "Travels with Charlie" he comments about the litter. We gave a local a ride one day, everything went the window. Go to the beach after Easter and take a look. Most of the world doesn't share our view. So sad.

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaLucy
Nice report Ateo, :P
La Fonda- Happy Hr is No jk bit too much for my pocket ;)
SQ- Happy Hour drinks is my Best pick. Food can't go wrong either
Our journey to first trip of 2014-rumbo a Baja was good. Nothing major happen during our staying Nothing out of the ordinary. One thing got more my attention and was disappointed... :?: At the beach after those people left they left behind their TRASH bummer.. We did our good donation to our Oceanlife Sea by picking after them all their trash. Tecate cans-bags and others. It's just common sense pick up after yourself :tumble

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.