BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Westfalia with a kayak on top looking for a nice secluded spot.
tobias
Nomad

cool.gif posted on 1-10-2014 at 01:10 PM
Westfalia with a kayak on top looking for a nice secluded spot.

Hey guys, I have been lurking here a while thinking I could answer my own questions but now I have even more!

I am looking for a safe place to beach camp and do some fishing somewhere on the north end of the sea of cortez. My van is not 4wd but has good clearance and BFG baja off road tires.
Also;
Do I need a fishing license for a kayak?
What kinds of fish are around this time of year?
How far north do the yellowtail make it?
How hard is it to buy or find firewood?
Is this a good time of year for this?
Can my beloved weimaraner come with me or is taking a dog dog down there a no no?

Honestly I just need to escape winter for a few weeks to maintain my sanity.
I realize these must sound like dumb questions to seasoned travelers. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 01:31 PM
Regarding dog...

Fine to take the dog. Have all vaccinations current with proof of health. Have it restrained while driving. A new law Requires this.

few people are asked for proof when returning to US, but Your vet can provide a basic health certificate Just in case you are asked for a copy.

Good idea to have it on anti-flea medication and heartworm prevention. and keep an eye out for coyotes and local dogs.

Have fun! I've done the Westy/kayak camp, sans dog. Good times...

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 01:37 PM

you might not escape winter! watch the weather reports and plan accordingly :yes:
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 02:33 PM

You do need a license from a kayak.

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 09:32 PM

Do the south campos, south of San Felipe constitute the "north end of the Sea of Cortez"?????

If so, you might want to try Campo Nuevo Mazatlan at KM32. Nice campground (no hookups), easy beach access.

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tobias
Honestly I just need to escape winter for a few weeks to maintain my sanity.

If you truly have a few weeks, go farther south.

The north end of the Cortez is not all that warm this time of year. Especially at night and with a north wind blowing.

my vote - at least to Loreto and preferably La Paz. Days in the low 80's and nights in the 60's.
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2014 at 10:21 PM

Laguna Percebu...talk to Jorge and you can fish just outside the lagoon! Camp right there on the beach! It's secluded enough to not be bothered, but close enough to fill your cooler with beer and ice every couple days...and you can explore on day trips from here all the way south to Gonzaga and make it back before sundown. Just one of the many top spots in the area.

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 12:34 AM

Yes as to license from kayak but not from shore as posted...

Why not just head down from San Felipe and take it from there? There are numerous roads that you can still take from the new road down to the water to explore...Gonzaga Bay would be a great first night (or many nights...or an entire trip!...good bays if the wind if blowing). After Gonzaga you meet a fairly nasty road...but not as nasty as the road out of L.A. Bay south...so once again it depends on your time and your bang for the buck. There are some stay at home Yellowtail in L.A. Bay but you'll have to go out with the locals and fish deep this time of year...anywhere north of that it would really be a crap shoot and certainly not from a kayak. Plenty of fish to fill the skillet between San Felipe and Gonzaga. Weather may be stunningly perfect in the 70's or blowing wind from the north.

I guess my thoughts are that heading south of San Felipe you can be on the Cortez and in heaven in a very short amount of time. Otherwise, you head down Hwy 1 and all the traffic and congestion that comes with the cities for fishing that this time of year may not be that great...or head to L.A. Bay and La Gringa say and then work your way back north along the Cortez.

Air down on the bad roads and bring a compressor (and some extra gas)...watch the winds on the horizon while kayaking...it can really kick up fast.

You'll have a blast no matter what!!!!!
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2014 at 08:09 AM

north of the bay of la has small coves to get out of the wind and fun fishing. your van will make it AND NOT FAR FROM TOWN.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 1-15-2014 at 08:35 AM

The point is that anyone carrying a fishing pole on or near sea water, needs to have a fishing lic. And the fish police are out there!

Quote:
Originally posted by jbcoug
You do need a license from a kayak.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 1-15-2014 at 09:02 AM
winter in baja

Hola,,the winds are relentless in the winter !! get your BURRO south as time allows...your be grateful you did...at least get down to mulge or further south...if you want to taste BAJA !!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-15-2014 at 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Do the south campos, south of San Felipe constitute the "north end of the Sea of Cortez"?????

If so, you might want to try Campo Nuevo Mazatlan at KM32. Nice campground (no hookups), easy beach access.

Photos at Nuevo Mazatlan: http://vivabaja.com/nm and a Baja Nomad group camp was there in 2004: http://vivabaja.com/204

Probably the only 'forest' on a desert beach to camp in! Planted in the late 1960's by Nuevo Mazatlan founder, Luis Castellanos Moreno... on old maps this was 'Agua de Chale'.

Laguna Percebu (near Km. 20) is an 'active' campground with more going on, as Desert Bull says. Close to Puertecitos on the beach, near the highway are campos if you want to closer to better fishing spots (clear water).

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-15-2014 at 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
The point is that anyone carrying a fishing pole on or near sea water, needs to have a fishing lic. And the fish police are out there!

:?::?::?:

Udo, that's only partially true. One can fish to their hearts content from land or pier or jetty with no need for a license.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-15-2014 at 11:56 AM

Listen to those who say the winter winds in the northern sea are pervasive and strong and frequent. It can sometimes keep you off the water for days on end.

I'd head to Punta Chivato and then into Concepcion. Take the route through Gonzaga and IF you get favorable wind days, spend a few along that route. But plan on spending at least a week in the Chivato/Mulege/Concepcion area.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2014 at 12:58 PM

I just did the trip you are planning on, sans kayak.

As others have stated the Cortez is windy. Perhaps not every day, but most days. Go to Asuncion and kayak the island near town or the kelp beds at San Roques. There are always calicos in the kelp and kayakers were getting yellowtail at the island, which is a short paddle.

IMHO you usually don't escape wind on the Cortez by driving further south. The people we met from Concepcion said it was blowing really hard there as well.

I propose the following:

Drive down the hwy south of San Felipe and observe the weather. If calm then stop and kayak around Gonzaga. If windy then cross over to Asuncion and set up over there. If that's too complicated then just go to Asuncion directly.

The Best weather on the entire journey? Vizcaino. Not too much kayaking available there, however. :lol:
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 1-15-2014 at 01:09 PM

Head for the Pacific side. The Sea of Cortez will be a disappointment if you plan on catching fish. Kayak fished out of Mulege a few years back for a couple or three months, mostly trigger fish and very few large ones. :biggrin:
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2014 at 12:53 AM

Just gotta say his question was in regards to the north end of the Sea of Cortez... granted, it is SUMMER here for the most part on the west coast but that can change and I would go for the relative warmth on the Cortez and wind vs the (possible) swells and conditions on the Pacific.

Plenty of triggers, bass, and corvina to be had with a silver kroc and some patience.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2014 at 09:19 AM

Q: Do I need a fishing license for a kayak?
A: Yes

Q:What kinds of fish are around this time of year?
A: Resident bottom fish. Spotted bay bass, leopard grouper, triggerfish, corvina, halibut, corbina.

Q:How far north do the yellowtail make it?
A: They are their (osprey is gonna kill me for this) in the summer/fall but not in the winter.

Q: How hard is it to buy or find firewood?
A: There is enough for a small campfire for shorter duration. Best to look for dead wood in the dry washes.

Q: Is this a good time of year for this?
A: Any time you can get away to baja is a good time. This is not the optimal time.

Q: Can my beloved weimaraner come with me or is taking a dog dog down there a no no?
A: Dunno.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 1-16-2014 at 09:24 AM
Dogs

Yes, bring your dog!!!!

Make sure his/her shots are up to date, carry a copy of the shot records with you.

Area around/south of San Felipe are thick with burrs. If you can find some dog booties, bring them.

redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-17-2014 at 12:51 AM

Gotta agree with Joe on most of it but it could be YOUR optimal time to go depending on what you seek. Less crowds...less heat and humidity and since there have been no storms from the north lately I bet the weather has been stunning along that stretch.

Bring some squid for bait for your first day or two and you'll have no trouble as to dinner.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.