[*] posted on 1-13-2014 at 11:48 AM
JCR Honda not racing SCORE Baja races in 2014

Wow....I didn't see this coming...

For Immediate Release, January 12, 2014

San Clemente, CA:

Johnny Campbell Racing, Inc (JCR) the most dominate motorcycle
Off-Road racing team to compete in Baja, Mexico, is officially
announcing its withdrawal from SCORE International Baja racing for

Honda has enjoyed participating in Baja competition for over 51 years. Within Honda’s rich Baja racing history racers like Dave Ekins, Al Baker, Bruce Ogilvie, Chuck Miller, Johnny Campbell, Steve Hengeveld, Robby Bell, Kendall Norman, Quinn Cody, Colton Udall, Timmy Weigand and others have amassed over 23 victories in the most grueling Off-Road race in the world. Johnny’s personal record of 11-Overall wins plus 6 as a team owner and manager total an astounding 17-consecutive Baja 1000 victories for Honda, a record that is likely to never be equaled. The JCR/Honda team will be taking on a new set of exciting challenges that will be announced in the near future.

“With so much success over the past two decades of Baja motorcycle
racing, the time has come for us to search out new opportunities and a new set of goals. JCR/Honda has had an amazing experience working with SCORE International and an even better experience living the Baja dream. The extraordinary fans, the great sponsors and supporters all have made this lifestyle a gift I truly cherish.

I have been honored to carry on the legacy of my great mentor - the late Bruce Ogilvie - who's passion for Baja and this program has been carried on through the spirit of this team. The biggest thing that has made JCR and Honda so successful in Baja racing is the JCR/Honda race support crews, they are the backbone of this program. Without the selfless sacrifices of the pit captains and crews we would be nowhere. If just one crew person is not in the right place at the right time, the wins and championships would not have been obtainable. I sincerely thank each and everyone who has stood hand in hand with myself and the JCR/Honda team through the decades of dominance. Our new direction will be announced shortly. I have no doubt this will be an amazing year."

With absolute respect to all,

Johnny Campbell

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2014 at 01:24 PM

Times are changing for this race. This sucks.
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 1-13-2014 at 02:02 PM

I would love to see them as Honda's Dakar team next year.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-13-2014 at 02:05 PM

Maybe Johnny is going to take time to see the missions?

I met Johnny at the Baja Bound Christmas Party 2012 and presented him with a copy of our Old Missions book.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2014 at 03:09 PM

I think the program just got too expensive to run at that level. The US only accounts for 3% of the Honda motorcycle sales worldwide. To cover the bikes, service, spare parts, pits, salaries, hotels, meals etc. cost a lot. I was told that for the 1000 race and maybe others the Honda factory would send engineers over while the team pre-runs the course in order to setup the bikes. And what do you get if you win O/A, a few thousand dollars.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2014 at 04:49 PM

Off Road racing began with a run what you brung theology and take any road to get to La Paz as long as you stop at the checkpoints (which usually limited you to one road in the old Baja California)! That was motorbikes, Jeeps, Broncos, trucks and passenger cars... 1967...

Why is there not more money for the two wheeled classes to compete for in SCORE, but not other organizations?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2014 at 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Why is there not more money for the two wheeled classes to compete for in SCORE, but not other organizations?

I don't understand the statement.

but I will tell you this. off-road racing is about bragging rights. Motocross and supercross has fan exposure. Exposure brings dollars.... people buy motocross bikes far more than they buy off-road Baja/Dakar type bikes.

Besides in a supercross stadium you do not need a helicopter. I am not surprised...no factory sponsorship for quads any more...so look for KTM (and its plumber sponsor) and Kawasaki to follow suit .
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2014 at 05:35 PM

Bye bye pro bikes.

I have a feeling Mr. Norman played a role in this and will bet the other 2 bike teams will follow suit.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2014 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:

I don't understand the statement.

but I will tell you this. off-road racing is about bragging rights. Motocross and supercross has fan exposure. Exposure brings dollars.... people buy motocross bikes far more than they buy off-road Baja/Dakar type bikes.

Besides in a supercross stadium you do not need a helicopter. I am not surprised...no factory sponsorship for quads any more...so look for KTM (and its plumber sponsor) and Kawasaki to follow suit .

What is hard to understand? It is a simple fact that if there are no bucks, then there will be no Buck Rogers! Why is it now not enough money to race off road on a MC? It was for so long... 40+ years. Do bikes need that much technology? What does Malcolm Smith have to say?

Thats OK. Guess I just don't understand your statement. It did not make sense to me... no problem.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2014 at 08:08 PM

Basically off road desert racing is a hobby driven sport. The factory backed teams did it for promotional reasons. Several of the 4 wheeler teams had deep pockets to fund the racing and that gave them bragging rights. The fast guys on bikes are 20 year old hot shots that only last a few years then move to the 4 wheelers like LR and Dan Smith. Even Malcom Smith moved to a 4 wheeler for SCORE events early on. The TTs and class one guys and gals are driven to win, to be a champion, to get the O/A. They got lots of money and or big sponsors which even for amateur sponsors are important to keep it going. The low bucks guys do it because they love it just like NOMADs love Baja. I just heard from a friend that JCR pulled out because of money, not enough to keep the type of program they had going. I think you'll see Johnny Campbell racing Baja in probably class 40, this time for fun.

[Edited on 1-14-2014 by TW]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-13-2014 at 09:56 PM

Thank you Tom... perfect sense.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 12:09 AM

put JCR money and energy into GNCC!!!!!:yes:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 12:21 AM

For us four wheeled folks and old farts like me, what is GNCC? Thanks.

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 12:42 AM

grand national cross country racing is the NOB real deal. period.:yes:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 12:55 AM

Cross Country? Like Barstow to Vergas (I thought the enviros killed that kind of stuff)?

ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 09:27 AM

Actually B to V has been revived however it is no longer a "race", it is now a Dual Sport event, more like an enduro. It's held on Thanksgiving weekend just like the original. I have done it a couple of time and it can be challenging. The promoters (District 37 AMA) have to jump through all kinds of hoops to get the necessary permits, but they have been successful for quite some time now. Here's a link with some pics from this year's event

http://www.district37ama.org/forums/showthread.php?61157-How...
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 09:29 AM

No it's a pre-determined course like the Tecate bike race like the Los Ancianos (sp) put on.

This was in answer to DKs Q

[Edited on 1-14-2014 by TW]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 09:33 AM

Thank you Nick and Tom!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 09:33 AM

Here are the rules for 2014

http://gnccracing.com/2014/01/10/2014-gncc-rules-and-nationa...
BajaDQ

Mood: Sunny

[*] posted on 1-14-2014 at 12:31 PM

My very first post!

Sad to see Honda pull out of Baja, but good to see JCR still running Hondas dez program. Willardguy called it!

January 14, 2014

Torrance, CA: American Honda and Johnny Campbell Racing (JCR) are pleased to announce a multi-year sponsorship agreement that will see JCR Honda competing in the Grand National Cross Country series (GNCC), the largest and one of the most prestigious off-road racing series in the U.S.

“For us, it’s really all about new challenges,” said Ray Conway Motorcycle Race Director. “Honda has dominated the SCORE series for decades, and has won the Baja 1000 23 times, including the last 17 consecutive events. JCR has spearheaded this effort for years, and Johnny has a long record of victories in Baja, including 11 Baja 1000 wins. Now it’s time for us to look for new challenges, just as Honda has with our recent involvement in the world rally championship, and the GNCC series is one of the most professional and competitive off-road series here in the U.S.”

“I am very excited for the new direction and new challenges,” said Johnny Campbell. “I have always admired the GNCC series, from the professionalism of the series directors, the extraordinary attendance at each round, the high levels of media exposure and the teams and racers. I am also excited to announce that we recently signed top GNCC rider Chris Bach. Chris is a fast, young talent and a very methodical racer who fits our program perfectly. I’m really looking forward to racing in a new atmosphere with new fans at some great venues. I have no doubt that this will be an amazing year.”
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.